- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influence of the Cleavage Anisotropy of Pocheon Granite on Hydraulic Fracturing Behaviour
포천 화강암의 결 이방성이 수압파쇄거동에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Sung-Gyu ;
- Zhuang, Li ;
- Yeom, Sun ;
- Kim, Kwang-Yeom (Korea Institute of civil Engineering and Building Technology, Geotechnical Engineering Research Division) ;
- Min, Ki-Bok
- 정성규 (과학기술연합대학원대학교(UST) 지반신공간공학과) ;
- 장리 (한국건설기술연구원 지반연구소) ;
- 염선 (한국건설기술연구원 지반연구소) ;
- 김광염 ;
- 민기복 (서울대학교 에너지시스템공학부)
- Received : 2016.08.17
- Accepted : 2016.08.29
- Published : 2016.08.31
In this study, laboratory hydraulic fracturing tests are carried out to evaluate the effects of the cleavage anisotropy of Pocheon granite. Breakdown pressure is smaller when cracks are generated to the direction of rift plane in constant pressurization rate condition because of higher microcracks density. Besides not only injection rate changes but also the amount of injection pressure for fracture initiation and crack expansion is detected while testing due to internal deformation. Pressurization rate is higher while hydraulic fracture testing with constant injection rate condition in case of the specimen which has rift plane perpendicular to borehole because there are much flow paths to penetrate compared to the specimen which has hardway plane perpendicular to borehole. Observation by X-ray CT scanning shows that almost all of cracks due to hydraulic fracturing are generated to the direction of plane which has higher microcrack density that is rift plane or grain plane.
Hydraulic fracturing;Pocheon granite;Breakdown pressure;Microcracks;X-ray CT
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원
- Baek, H. J., Kim, D. H., Choi, S. B., 1998, Study on the prediction of the occurrence and distribution of the microcracks in rock, J. Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 8, 226-233.
- Bohloli, B., and De Pater, C. J. 2006. Experimental study on hydraulic fracturing of soft rocks: Influence of fluid rheology and confining stress. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 53, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2006.01.009
- Diaz, M. B, Jung, S. G., Zhuang, L., Kim, K. Y., Shin, H. S., 2016, Effect of cleavage anisotropy on hydraulic fracturing behavior of Pocheon granite. Proceedings of the 50th US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, Vol. 1, 26-29.
- Fujii, Y., Takemura, T., Takahashi, M., and Lin, W. 2007, Surface features of uniaxial tensile fractures and their relation to rock anisotropy in Inada granite. Int J. Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 44, 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2006.05.001
- Haimson, B., and Fairhurst, C., 1969, Hydraulic fracturing in porous-permeable materials. J. Petroleum Technology, Vol. 21, 811-817. https://doi.org/10.2118/2354-PA
- Ishida, T., Chen, Q., Mizuta, Y., and Roegiers, J. C., 2004, Influence of fluid viscosity on the hydraulic fracturing mechanism. J. Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 126, 190-200. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1791651
Ishida, T., Aoyagi, K., Niwa, T., Chen, Y., Murata, S., Chen, Q., and Nakayama, Y. 2012. Acoustic emission monitoring of hydraulic fracturing laboratory experiment with supercritical and liquid
$CO_2$. Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 39.
- Kang, T. H., Kim, K. Y., Park, D. W., Shin, H. S., 2014, Influence of anisotropy of microcrack distribution in Pocheon granite rock on elastic resonance characteristics, J. Eng. Geology, Vol. 24, 363-372. https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2014.3.363
- Lee, B. D., Jang, B. A., Yun, H. S., Lee, H. Y., Jin, M. S., 1999-1, Characteristics of microcrack development in granite of the Mungyeong area in Korea, J. Petrological Society of Korea, Vol. 8, 24-33.
- Lee, S. E., Cho, S. H., Yang, H. S., Park, H. M., 1999-2, Estimation of micro-discontinuity distribution using scanline survey in granites, J. Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 9, 364-372.
- Lee, H. S., Shen, B., Stephansson, O., 2004, A boundary element analysis for damage and failure process of brittle rock using FRACOD, J. Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 14, 248-260.
- Jang, B. A., Kim, J. D., 1995, Microcrack development in gabbro, sandstone and marble due to fatigue stress, J. Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 5, 240-250.
- Osborne, F. F. 1935, Rift, grain, and hardway in some Pre-Cambrian granites, Economic Geology, Vol. 30, 540-551. https://doi.org/10.2113/gsecongeo.30.5.540
- Park, D. W., 2005, Mechanical anisotropy of Pocheon granite under uniaxial compression, J. Eng. Geology, Vol. 15, 337-348.
- Park, D. W., Kim, H. C., Lee, C. B., Hong, S. S., Chang, S. W., Lee, C. W., 2004, Characteristics of the rock cleavage in Jurassic granite, Pocheon, J. Petrological Society of Korea, Vol. 13, 133-141.
- Shimizu, H., Murata, S., and Ishida, T., 2011, The distinct element analysis for hydraulic fracturing in hard rock considering fluid viscosity and particle size distribution. Int J. Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 48, 712-727. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.04.013
- Solberg, P., Lockner, D., and Byerlee, J. D., 1980, Hydraulic fracturing in granite under geothermal conditions. Int J. Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 17, 25-33.
- Yoon, W. S., Song, Y. H., Lee, T. J., Kim, K. Y., Min, K. B., Cho, Y. H., Jeon, J. U., 2011, Research background and plan of enhanced geothermal system project for MW power generation in Korea, J. Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 21, 11-19.
- Zeng, Z., and Roegiers, J. C., 2002, Experimental Observation of injection rate influence on the hydraulic fracturing behavior of a tight gas sandstone. In SPE/ ISRM Rock Mechanics Conference. Proc. Society of Petroleum Engineers. Vol. 1.
- Zoback, M. D., Rummel, F., Jung, R., and Raleigh, C. B., 1977, Laboratory hydraulic fracturing experiments in intact and pre-fractured rock. Int J. Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 14, 49-58.