- Volume 40 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Large-strain Soft Sensors Using Elastomers Blended with Exfoliated/Fragmented Graphite Particles
탄성중합체와 박리 후 파쇄된 흑연입자 복합재를 이용한 대변형률 연성 센서
- Park, Sungmin (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Nam, Gyungmok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jonghun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Yoon, Sang-Hee (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.)
- Received : 2016.03.04
- Accepted : 2016.06.29
- Published : 2016.09.01
An elastic polymer (e.g., PDMS) blended with EFG particles is a promising conductive composite for fabricating soft sensors that can detect an object's deformation up to or more than 50%. Here, we develop large-strain, sprayable soft sensors using a mixture of PDMS and EFG particles, which are used as a host elastomer and electrically conductive particles, respectively. A solution for a conductive composite mixture is prepared by the microwave-assisted graphite exfoliation, followed by ultrasonication-induced fragmentation of the exfoliated graphite and ultrasonic blending of PDMS and EFG. Using the prepared solutions for composite and pure PDMS, 1-, 2-, and 3-axis soft sensors are fabricated by airbrush stencil technique where composite mixture and pure PDMS are materials for sensing and insulating layers, respectively. We characterize the soft strain sensors after investigating the effect of PDMS/EFG wt% on mechanical compliance and electrical conductance of the conductive composite.
Elastomer;Exfoliated/Fragmented Graphite;Large Strain;Soft Sensor
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Li, X., Zhang, Z., Qin, L., Feng, X., Feng, Z., He, L., et al., 2014, "High Strain Gradient Measurements Using Modified Automated Grid Technique," Opt. Laser. Eng., Vol. 52, pp. 140-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2013.06.019
- Rosset, S., Niklaus, M., Dubois, P. and Shea, H., 2008, "Ion-implanted Compliant and Patternable Electrodes for Miniaturized Dielectric Elastomer Actuators," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 6927, pp. 69270W-10.
- Kim, J., Oh, S. and Yoon, S.-H., 2014, "Parameter Study of Microwave Assisted Exfoliation of Graphite and Its Application to Large Deformation Strain Sensors," Proceedings of IEEE SENSORS 2014, pp. 1699-1702.
- Park, S., Kim, J., Jeon, K.-J. and Yoon, S.-H., 2016, "Characterization on the Expanding Nature of Graphite in Microwave-Irradiated Exfoliation," J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., Vol. 16, pp. 4450-4455. https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2016.10980
- Yoon, S.-H., Reyes-Ortiz, V., Kim, K.-H., Seo, Y. H. and Mofrad, M. R. K., 2010, "Analysis of Circular PDMS Microballoons with Ultralarge Deflection for MEMS Design," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 854-864. https://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2010.2049984
- Akinci, A., 2009, "Mechanical and Structural Properties of Polypropylene Composites Filled with Graphite Flakes," Archives of Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 91-94.
- Betz, D. C., Thursby, G., Culshaw, B. and Staszewski, W. J., 2006, "Advanced Layout of a Fiber Bragg Grating Strain Gauge Rosette," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 1019-1026. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2005.862442
- Peters, W. H. and Ranson, W. F., 1982, "Digital Imaging Techniques in Experimental Stress Analysis," Opt. Eng., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 427-431.
- Effects of GnF Concentration on the Mechanoelectrical Properties and Surface Morphology of GnF/PDMS Composites vol.765, pp.1662-9795, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.765.65