- Volume 40 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Leak Rate Through a Crack with Linearly-Varying Sectional Area
선형적으로 변하는 단면적을 가진 균열에서의 누설률 평가
- Park, Jai Hak (Dept. of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.)
- 박재학 (충북대학교 안전공학과)
- Received : 2016.03.18
- Accepted : 2016.08.03
- Published : 2016.09.01
The leak before break (LBB) concept is used in pipe line design for nuclear power plants. For application of the LBB concept, leak rates through cracks should be evaluated accurately. Usually leak late analyses are performed for through-thickness cracks with constant cross-sectional area. However, the cross-sectional area at the inner pipe surface of a crack can be different from that at the outer surface. In this paper, leak rate analyses are performed for the cracks with linearly-varying cross-sectional areas. The effect of varying the cross-sectional area on leak rates was examined. Leak rates were also evaluated for cracks in bi-material pipes. Finally, the effects of crack surface morphology parameters on leak rates were examined.
Leak Rate;Through-thickness Crack;Modified Henry-Fauske Model;Pipe;Nuclear Power Plant
Supported by : 충북대학교
- Paul, D. D., Ahmad, J., Scott, P. M., Flanigan, L. E. and Wilkowski, G. M., 1994, "Evaluation and Refinement of Leak-Rate Estimation Models," NUREG/CR-5128, Rev. 1.
- Henry, R. E., 1970, "The Two-Phase Critical Discharge of Initially Saturated or Subcooled Liquid," Nuclear Science and Engineering, Vol. 41, pp. 336-342. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE70-A19091
- Henry, R. E. and Fauske, H. K., 1970, "Two-Phase Critical Flow at Low Qualities, Part 1: Experimental," Nuclear Science and Engineering, Vol. 41, pp. 79-91. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE70-A20366
- Henry, R. E. and Fauske, H. K., 1970, "Two-Phase Critical Flow at Low Qualities, Part II: Analysis," Nuclear Science and Engineering, Vol. 41, pp. 92-98. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE70-A20367
- Rahman, S., Ghadiali, N., Paul, D. and Wilkowski, G., 1995, "Probabilistic Pipe Fracture Evaluations for Leak-Rate-Detection Applications," USNRC Report NUREG/CR-6004.
- Harris, D. O., Dedhia, D. D. and Lu, S. C., 1992, "Theoretical and User's Manual for pc-PRAISE," USNRC Report NUREG/CR-5864.
- Harris, D. O. and Dedhia, D. D., 2007, "WinPRAISE 07; Expanded PRAISE Code in Windows," Structural Integrity Associates, Inc..
- PRO-LOCA-GUI/PRO-LOCA User's Guide (Version 3.5.32), 2009, Battelle.
- Park, J. H., Cho, Y. K., Kim, S. H. and Lee, J. H., 2015, "Estimation of Leak Rate through Circumferential Cracks in Pipes in Nuclear Power Plants," Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 332-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2014.11.008
- Park, J. H., Lee, J. H. and Oh, Y.-J., 2015, "Estimation of Leak Rate through Cracks in Bi-material Pipes in Nuclear Power Plants," Accepted for Publication in Nuclear Engineering and Technology.
- Zahoor, A., 1989, Ductile Fracture Handbook, Vol. 1, EPRI Report NP-6301-D.