- Volume 40 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Fault Detection Method for Solenoid Valves in Urban Railway Braking Systems Using Temperature-Effect-Compensated Electric Signals
도시철도차량 제동장치의 솔레노이드 밸브에 대한 전류기반 고장진단기법 개발
- Seo, Boseong (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Guesuk (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jo, Soo-Ho (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Oh, Hyunseok (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Youn, Byeng D. (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ.)
- 서보성 (서울대학교 기계항공공학부) ;
- 이규석 (서울대학교 기계항공공학부) ;
- 조수호 (서울대학교 기계항공공학부) ;
- 오현석 (서울대학교 기계항공공학부) ;
- 윤병동 (서울대학교 기계항공공학부)
- Received : 2016.03.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.11
- Published : 2016.09.01
In Korea, urban railway cars are typically maintained using the strategy of predictive maintenance. In an effort to overcome the limitations of the existing strategy, there is increased interest in adopting the condition-based maintenance strategy. In this study, a novel method is proposed to detect faults in the solenoid valves of the braking system in urban railway vehicles. We determined the key component (i.e., solenoid valve) that leads to braking system faults through the analysis of failure modes, effects, and criticality. Then, an equivalent circuit model was developed with the compensation of the temperature effect on solenoid coils. Finally, we presented how to detect faults with the equivalent circuit model and current signal measurements. To demonstrate the performance of the proposed method, we conducted a case study using real solenoid valves taken from urban railway vehicles. In summary, it was shown that the proposed method can be effective to detect faults in solenoid valves. We anticipate the outcome from this study can help secure the safety and reliability of urban railway vehicles.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Cho, S. J., 1990. 09. 13., 78 People Wounded by Subway Bump Accident in Busan, Seoul, Dong-A Ilbo, p. 19.
- Shaffer, D., 2013, Blast in Quebec Exposes Risks of Shipping Crude Oil by Rail, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN, Star-Tribune, http://www.startribune.com/blast-in-quebec-exposes-risks-of-shipping-crude-oil-by-rail/214699171/.
- Isermann, R., 2006, Fault-Diagnosis Systems, Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Goo, B. C. and Lim, C. H., 2008, "Development of Brake Disk Materials with Ni-Cr-Mo," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 188-194.
- Goo, B. C. and Lim, C. H., 2009, "Development of Vermicular Graphite Cast Irons for the Brake Discs of Railway Vehicles and Fatigue Tests," in Proceedings of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers Conference, pp. 377-380.
- Joo, S. M., Kwon, Y. S. and Kim, H. K., 2009, "A Study on the Fatigue Damage of a Railway Disc Brake Surface due to Thermal Stress during Braking Using FEM Analysis," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 212-218.
- Shin, M. J., Kim, C. S., Choi, D. H., Park, M. H. and Kim, J. K., 2009, "TBO and Reliability Evaluation of a Single Brake Display Equipment for Rolling Stock," in Proceedings of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers Conference, pp. 1540-1544.
- Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation, 2000, Brake System Maintenance Guideline, Seoul.
- Yang, B. S. and Widodo, A., 2009, Introduction of Intelligent Machine Fault Diagnosis and Prognosis, Nova Science Publishers, New York, NY.
- Ma, Q., 1997, Condition-Based Maintenance Applied to Rail Freight Car Components: the Case of Rail Car Trucks, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA.
- Rahman, M. F., Cheung, N. C., and Lim, K. W., 1995, "A Sensorless Position Estimator for a Nonlinear Solenoid Actuator," in Proceedings of the 1995 IEEE IECON 21st International Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 1208-1213.
- Kweon, G. T. and Han H. T., 2002, "Dynamic Analysis of Fast-Acting Solenoid Valves Using Finite Element Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 959-965. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2002.26.7.959
- Kreyszig, E., 2006, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 9th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, pp. 264-265.
- Oberkampf, W. L. and Roy, C. J., 2010, Verification and Validation in Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, pp. 53-56.