- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Research on Actual Usage and Satisfaction of ROKAF Fighter Pilot's Flight Duty Uniform
공군 전투조종사 비행복 착용특성 및 만족도 조사
- Lee, Ah Lam (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Nam, Yun Ja (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University/ Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University) ;
- Hong, Yu Hwa (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Im, Sojung (Headquarter of ROKAF) ;
- Lim, Chae Keun (Defense Agency for Technology and Quality)
- Received : 2015.11.25
- Accepted : 2016.01.27
- Published : 2016.08.31
This study investigates Korean fighter pilot's usage and satisfaction of a flight duty uniform (FDU). The survey was conducted from October 2014 to March 2015 using Focus Group Interview (FGI) and questionnaires. FGI collected qualitative data about duty and requirements; subsequently, surveys were performed to collect quantitative data about wearing conditions and satisfaction with FDU. The results of the FGI and the questionnaire were as follows. Type of pilot duty was divided into two parts, flight duty and ground duty. It is important to consider duties as well as factors related to survival when developing FDU. According to anthropometric data and wearing size, the basic size for apparel grading should be changed from actual size, 'M95XL' to 'M100L'. It is also necessary to improve the whole sizing system. Further studies about body form changes in pilot's movement are needed to improve mobility because the respondents perceived some restrictions at several body parts in movement with the coverall uniform. Summer FDU had a low satisfaction level in vent hole function and appearance. Furthermore, protection problems in the vent hole were also an issue. Making a seasonal classification of FDU fabric will be more effective than a vent hole to increase a pilot's thermal satisfaction. Respondents had a passive stance towards FDU reform (including pocket change); therefore, a new FDU design strategy should concentrate on improving current FDU functions like mobility (or comfort) rather than dramatic changes. Pilots complained about the quality stability of FDU; therefore, quality control by military administration as well as concrete and clear design instructions by the developer should be attained together. The results obtained in this study are expected to be used as an important basis for the further development of FDU.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Crown, E. M., Ackerman, M. Y., Dale, J. D., & Tan, Y. B. (1998). Design and evaluation of thermal protective flightsuits. Part II: Instrumented mannequin evaluation. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 16(2), 79-87. doi:10.1177/0887302X9801600203 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9801600203
- Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A. L. (2011). The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research (B. S. Lee, S. W. Park, & S. H. Kim, Trans.). Seoul: Hakjisa. (Original work published 1967)
- Huck, J., Maganga, O., & Kim, Y. (1997). Protective overalls: Evaluation of garment design and fit. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 9(1), 45-61. doi:10.1108/09556229710157876 https://doi.org/10.1108/09556229710157876
- Im, T. B. (2009). 질적 연구 방법의 내용과 적용전략: 양적인 질적 연구와 질적인 질적 연구 [Qualitative methodology: Approach and application]. Journal of Govermental Studies, 15(1), 155-188.
- Jeon, E. J., Park, S., You, H. C., & Kim, H. E. (2009). An evaluation of wearing characteristic for improving flight suit design. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 11(2), 301-307.
- Jeon, E. J., Park, S. K., You, H. C., & Kim, H. E. (2014). Wearing comfort evaluation of a summer flight suit to improve ventilation. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(3), 1-7. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.3.1 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.1.1
- Kang, Y. S. (2013). Research on the recycling and disposal of unused clothes by women. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 13(4), 61-84.
- Kim, G. S., Son, D. B., & Jang, B. H. (2013). Prioritizing the defense materials of force support system using the concept of army wellness - The case of the development of design roadmap for national defence supporting materials by KIDP -. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 39, 143-152.
- Kim, S. K., Song, K. H., Kim, J. J., Song, Y. S., & Han, J. H. (1997). 韓國의 軍服飾 發達史 I [The history of military costume progress I]. Seoul: Institute for Military History, MND.
- Kim, Y. (2002). A functional design of fire fighter coveralls. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(12), 1739-1748.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2010, December 15). 제6차 한국인 인체치수 3차원형상측정 조사사업 -최종보고서- [The 6th Size Korea in three dimensional body measurement-Final report-]. Gwachun: Author.
- Kwon, S., & Ha, J. (2006). A study on modern military uniform design. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(9), 143-156.
- Lee, J., & Steen, C. (2012). 의류디자이너를 위한 테크니컬 디자인 지침서 [Technical sourcebook for designers] (J. Lee & E. J. Joe, Trans.). Seoul: Sigmapress. (Original work published 2010)
- Ministry of National Defense of the Republic of Korea. (2009, December 14). 인간공학적 비행피복 연구 [Research on ergonomic flight suit]. Seoul: Author.
- Oh, S., Chun, J., Shin, S. M., & Lee, M. J. (2011). A study of pattern making for coverall work clothing using dynamic wearing ease. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 49(3), 113-121.
- Republic of Korea Air Force. (2015). ROKAF Intoduction. Republic of Korea Air Force. Retrieved August 9, 2015, from http://www.airforce.mil.kr:8081/user/indexSub.action?codyMenuSeq=49604&siteId=airforce&menuUIType=top
- Song, K. H., Yoo, H. J., Lee, H. J., Kim, J. H., Lee, J. S., Ahn, C., & Han, Y. S. (2003). Textiles. Seoul: Hyungseul.