- Volume 56 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Prognostic factors and efficacy of human intravenous immunoglobulin G in dogs with idiopathic immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: a retrospective study
- Park, So-Young (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Hakhyun (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Byeong-Taek (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Ji-Houn (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yang, Mhan-Pyo (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.03.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.09.30
This study was conducted to determine the effect of treatment with intravenous human immunoglobulin G (hIVIgG) on outcome in dogs with idiopathic immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA), and to identify prognostic variables that determine outcome in affected dogs. Thirty-seven dogs that met the inclusion criteria were enrolled in a retrospective study. The dogs were categorized into two groups based on their having received hIVIgG. There was no significant difference in survival between the hIVIgG group and the non-hIVIgG group. Mortality during hospitalization and at 1 month, 1 year, or 2 years after discharge was not significantly different between the hIVIgG and the non-hIVIgG groups. Hemoglobinuria was significantly less prevalent in dogs that lived more than 1 year than in those who lived less than 1 year, and was less prevalent in dogs that lived more than 2 years than in those who lived less than 2 years. However, there was no difference in the presence of hemoglobinuria between dogs that lived less than 1 month and those that lived more than 1 month. Overall, there was no evidence of a beneficial effect of hIVIgG in dogs with idiopathic IMHA.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Abelson AL, Shelton GD, Whelan MF, Cornejo L, Shaw S, O'Toole TE. Use of mycophenolate mofetil as a rescue agent in the treatment of severe generalized myasthenia gravis in three dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2009, 19, 369-374. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2009.00433.x
- Anderson D, Ali K, Blanchette V, Brouwers M, Couban S, Radmoor P, Huebsch L, Hume H, McLeod A, Meyer R, Moltzan C, Nahirniak S, Nantel S, Pineo G, Rock G. Guidelines on the use of intravenous immune globulin for hematologic conditions. Transfus Med Rev 2007, 21 (Suppl 1), S9-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmrv.2007.01.001
- Balch A, Mackin A. Canine immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: pathophysiology, clinical signs, and diagnosis. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2007, 29, 217-225.
- Barros MM, Blajchman MA, Bordin JO. Warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia: recent progress in understanding the immunobiology and the treatment. Transfus Med Rev 2010, 24, 195-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmrv.2010.03.002
- Bass GF, Tuscano ET, Tuscano JM. Diagnosis and classification of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Autoimmune Rev 2014, 13, 560-564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2013.11.010
- Bianco D, Armstrong PJ, Washabau RJ. Treatment of severe immune-mediated thrombocytopenia with human IV immunoglobulin in 5 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2007, 21, 694-699. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2007.tb03010.x
- Bianco D, Hardy RM. Treatment of Evans' syndrome with human intravenous immunoglobulin and leflunomide in a diabetic dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2009, 45, 147-150. https://doi.org/10.5326/0450147
- Burgess K, Moore A, Rand W, Cotter SM. Treatment of immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in dogs with cyclophosphamide. J Vet Intern Med 2000, 14, 456-462. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2000.tb02256.x
- Conrad P, Thomford J, Yamane I, Whiting J, Bosma L, Uno T, Holshuh HJ, Shelly S. Hemolytic anemia caused by Babesia gibsoni infection in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1991, 199, 601-605.
- Duval D, Giger U. Vaccine-associated immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in the dog. J Vet Intern Med 1996, 10, 290-295. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.1996.tb02064.x
- Emmi L, Chiarini F. The role of intravenous immunoglobulin therapy in autoimmune and inflammatory disorders. Neurol Sci 2002, 23 (Suppl 1), S1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100720200010
- Farwell GE, LeGrand EK, Cobb CC. Clinical observations on Babesia gibsoni and Babesia canis infections in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1982, 180, 507-511.
- Foster R, Suri A, Filate W, Hallett D, Meyer J, Ruijs T, Callum JL, Sutton D, Mehta S. Use of intravenous immune globulin in the ICU: a retrospective review of prescribing practices and patient outcomes. Transfus Med 2010, 20, 403-408. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3148.2010.01022.x
- Gerber B, Steger A, Hassig M, Glaus TM. Use of human intravenous immunoglobulin in dogs with primary immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 2002, 144, 180-185. https://doi.org/10.1024/0036-72126.96.36.199
- Grozdanic SD, Harper MM, Kecova H. Antibody-mediated retinopathies in canine patients: mechanism, diagnosis, and treatment modalities. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2008, 38, 361-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2007.12.003
- Grundy SA, Barton C. Influence of drug treatment on survival of dogs with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: 88 cases (1989-1999). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001, 218, 543-546. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2001.218.543
- Jackson ML, Kruth SA. Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia in the dog: a retrospective study of 55 cases diagnosed from 1979 through 1983 at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine. Can Vet J 1985, 26, 245-250.
- Kellerman DL, Bruyette DS. Intravenous human immunoglobulin for the treatment of immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in 13 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 1997, 11, 327-332. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.1997.tb00475.x
- Kidd L, Mackman N. Prothrombotic mechanisms and anticoagulant therapy in dogs with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2013, 23, 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2012.00824.x
- Klag AR, Giger U, Shofer FS. Idiopathic immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in dogs: 42 cases (1986-1990). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1993, 202, 783-788.
- Marie I, Maurey G, Herve F, Hellot MF, Levesque H. Intravenous immunoglobulin-associated arterial and venous thrombosis; report of a series and review of the literature. Br J Dermatol 2006, 155, 714-721. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2006.07390.x
- McAlees TJ. Immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia in 110 dogs in Victoria, Australia. Aus Vet J 2010, 88, 25-28. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.2009.00537.x
- Mellanby RJ, Holloway A, Chantrey J, Herrtage ME, Dobson JM. Immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia associated with a sarcoma in a flat-coated retriever. J Small Anim Pract 2004, 45, 21-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2004.tb00190.x
- Mitchell K, Kruth S. Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and other regenerative anemias. In: Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC (eds.). Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 7th ed. pp. 761-772, Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, 2010.
- Negi VS, Elluru S, Siberil S, Graff-Dubois S, Mouthon L, Kazatchkine MD, Lacroix-Desmazes S, Bayry J, Kaveri SV. Intravenous immunoglobulin: an update on the clinical use and mechanisms of action. J Clin Immunol 2007, 27, 233-245. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10875-007-9088-9
- Piek CJ. Canine idiopathic immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia: a review with recommendations for future research. Vet Q 2011, 31, 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.2011.604979
- Piek CJ, Junius G, Dekker A, Schrauwen E, Slappendel RJ, Teske E. Idiopathic immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: treatment outcome and prognostic factors in 149 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2008, 22, 366-373. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2008.0060.x
- Rahilly LJ, Keating JH, O'Toole TE. The use of intravenous human immunoglobulin in treatment of severe pemphigus foliaceus in a dog. J Vet Intern Med 2006, 20, 1483-1486. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2006.tb00770.x
- Reimer ME, Troy GC, Warnick LD. Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: 70 cases (1988-1996). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1999, 35, 384-391. https://doi.org/10.5326/15473317-35-5-384
- Scott-Moncrieff JC, Reagan WJ, Glickman LT, DeNicola DB, Harrington D. Treatment of nonregenerative anemia with human gamma-globulin in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1995, 206, 1895-1900.
- Scott-Moncrieff JC, Reagan WJ, Snyder PW, Glickman LT. Intravenous administration of human immune globulin in dogs with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997, 210, 1623-1627.
- Soares MO, Welton NJ, Harrison DA, Peura P, Shankar- Hari M, Harvey SE, Madan J, Ades AE, Rowan KM, Palmer SJ. Intravenous immunoglobulin for severe sepsis and septic shock: clinical effectiveness, cost effectiveness and value of a further randomised controlled trial. Crit Care 2014, 18, 649. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-014-0649-z
- Spurlock NK, Prittie JE. A review of current indications, adverse effects, and administration recommendations for intravenous immunoglobulin. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2011, 21, 471-483. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2011.00676.x
- Swann JW, Skelly BJ. Evaluation of immunosuppressive regimens for immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia: a retrospective study of 42 dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2011, 52, 353-358. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2011.01074.x
- Troy GC, Vulgamott JC, Turnwald GH. Canine ehrlichiosis: a retrospective study of 30 naturally occurring cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1980, 16, 181-187.
- Wang A, Smith JR, Creevy KE. Treatment of canine idiopathic immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia with mycophenolate mofetil and glucocorticoids: 30 cases (2007 to 2011). J Small Anim Pract 2013, 54, 399-404. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsap.12107
- Weinkle TK, Center SA, Randolph JF, Warner KL, Barr SC, Erb HN. Evaluation of prognostic factors, survival rates, and treatment protocols for immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in dogs: 151 cases (1993-2002). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005, 226, 1869-1880. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2005.226.1869
- Whelan MF, O'Toole TE, Chan DL, Rozanski EA, DeLaforcade AM, Crawford SL, Cotter SM. Use of human immunoglobulin in addition to glucocorticoids for the initial treatment of dogs with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2009, 19, 158-164. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2009.00403.x
- Whitley NT, Day MJ. Immunomodulatory drugs and their application to the management of canine immune-mediated disease. J Small Anim Pract 2011, 52, 70-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2011.01024.x
- Wohl JS, Moore AS. The use of single-agent cyclosporine A in dogs with severe immune mediated hemolytic anemia. In: Research Abstract Program of the 14th Annual ACVIM Forum: The American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23-26 May 1996, San Antonio, Texas, USA.