- Volume 56 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Persistent left cranial vena cava with congenital heart defect in two dogs
- Hwang, Yawon (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Oh, Hyejong (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Chang, Dongwoo (Laboratory of Veterinary Radiology, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Gonhyung (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.05.06
- Accepted : 2016.06.09
- Published : 2016.09.30
The purpose of this report is to introduce persistent left cranial vena cava (PLCVC) with persistent right aortic arch (PRAA) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). Case 1 was a Cocker Spaniel with PRAA and case 2 was a Maltese with PDA. PLCVC was enclosed at the sites of PRAA and PDA surgery; therefore, it was lifted dorsally during PDA and PRAA surgery. Surgery to repair congenital heart defects including PRAA and PDA is recommended for dogs that do not die of PLCVC at a young age.
- Buchanan JW. Persistent left cranial vena cava in dogs: angiocardiography, significance, and coexisting anomalies. Vet Radiol 1963, 4, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1963.tb01524.x
- Buchanan JW. Tracheal signs and associated vascular anomalies in dogs with persistent right aortic arch. J Vet Intern Med 2004, 18, 510-514. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2004.tb02576.x
- Buchanan JW, Patterson DF. Selective angiography and angiocardiography in dogs with congenital cardiovascular disease. Vet Radiol 1965, 6, 21-39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1965.tb01313.x
- Cunningham SM, Rush JE. Transvenous pacemaker placement in a dog with atrioventricular block and persistent left cranial vena cava. J Vet Cardiol 2007, 9, 129-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvc.2007.06.001
- Fernandez del Palacio MJ, Bayon A, Agut A. Dilated coronary sinus in a dog with persistent left cranial vena cava. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 1997, 38, 376-379. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1997.tb02101.x
- Fernandez del Palacio MJ, Bernal L, Bayon A, Fuentes VL. Persistent left cranial vena cava associated with multiple congenital anomalies in a six-week-old puppy. J Small Anim Pract 1997, 38, 526-530. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1997.tb03311.x
- Garcia-Rodriguez MB, Granja MAR, Garcia CCP, Gonzalo Orden JM, Cano Rabano MJ, Prieto ID. Complex cardiac congenital defects in an adult dog: an ultrasonographic and magnetic resonance imaging study. Can Vet J 2009, 50, 933-935.
- Geggel RL, Perry SB, Blume ED, Baker CM. Left superior vena cava connection to unroofed coronary sinus associated with positional cyanosis: successful transcatheter treatment using Gianturco-Grifka vascular occlusion device. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 1999, 48, 369-373. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-726X(199912)48:4<369::AID-CCD9>3.0.CO;2-1
- Goyal SK, Punnam SR, Verma G, Ruberg FL. Persistent left superior vena cava: a case report and review of literature. Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2008, 6, 50. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-7120-6-50
- Hsu LF, Jais P, Keane D, Wharton JM, Deisenhofer I, Hocini M, Shah DC, Sanders P, Scavee C, Weerasooriya R, Clementy J, Haissaguerre M. Atrial fibrillation originating from persistent left superior vena cava. Circulation 2004, 109, 828-832. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000116753.56467.BC
- Jacobs G, Bolton GR, Watrous BJ. Echocardiographic features of dilated coronary sinus in a dog with persistent left cranial vena cava. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1983, 182, 407-408.
- Larcher T, Abadie J, Roux FA, Deschamps JY, Wyers M. Persistent left cranial vena cava causing oesophageal obstruction and consequent megaoesophagus in a dog. J Comp Pathol 2006, 135, 150-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcpa.2006.05.002
- Mantini E, Grondin CM, Lillehei CW, Edwards JE. Congenital anomalies involving the coronary sinus. Circulation 1966, 33, 317-327. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.33.2.317
- Morgan DR, Hanratty CG, Dixon LJ, Trimble M, O’Keeffe DB. Anomalies of cardiac venous drainage associated with abnormalities of cardiac conduction system. Europace 2002, 4, 281-287. https://doi.org/10.1053/eupc.2002.0248
- Sarodia BD, Stoller JK. Persistent left superior vena cava: case report and literature review. Respir Care 2000, 45, 411-416.
- Shumacker HB Jr, King H, Waldhausen JA. The persistent left superior vena cava. Surgical implications, with special reference to caval drainage into the left atrium. Ann Surg 1967, 165, 797-805. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-196705000-00015
- Steinberg I, Dubilier W Jr, Lukas DS. Persistence of left superior vena cava. Dis Chest 1953, 24, 479-488. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.24.5.479
- Winter FS. Persistent left superior vena cava; survey of world literature and report of thirty additional cases. Angiology 1954, 5, 90-132. https://doi.org/10.1177/000331975400500207