- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Combination Therapy of Gefitinib and Korean Herbal Medicines Could be a Beneficial Option for Patients with Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer
- Lee, Kangwook (Department of Clinical Oncology, Cheonan Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Ryu, Juyoung (Department of Clinical Oncology, Cheonan Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Son, Chang-Gue (Liver and Immunology Research Center, Daejeon Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Cho, Jung-Hyo (Liver and Immunology Research Center, Daejeon Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Yoo, Hwa-Seung (East West Cancer Center, Dunsan Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Jonghoon (Department of Integrative Cancer Center, Woosuk Korean Medicine Hospital, Woosuk University) ;
- Kim, Yoon-sik (Department of Internal Medicine, Cheonan Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Namhun (Department of Clinical Oncology, Cheonan Korean Medical Hospital, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2016.07.06
- Accepted : 2016.07.27
- Published : 2016.09.30
Lung cancer has a high mortality rate and is often diagnosed at the metastatic stage. Gefitinib is a targeted molecular therapeutic drug used to treat patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Korean herbal medicines may also have therapeutic efficacy against lung cancer, reduce the side effects associated with chemotherapy, and improve patient quality of life (QOL). This case report describes the effects of a Korean herbal medicine regimen combined with gefitinib in a patient with NSCLC and bone metastasis. The Korean herbal medicine regimen included woohwanggeosa-dan, hwanggibujeong-dan and geonchilgyebok-jeong. The computed tomography (CT) findings showed that following combination treatment, the size of the tumor was markedly decreased without serious adverse events. Moreover, the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status was improved and cancer-related pain was decreased. These results suggest that a combination of Korean herbal medicines and gefitinib may be an effective therapeutic option for patients with advanced NSCLC and bone metastasis. Further studies are needed to examine the mechanism and the clinical efficacy of Korean herbal medicines against NSCLC.
- Yang L, Wang L, Zhang Y. Immunotherapy for lung cancer: advances and prospects. Am J Clin Exp Immunol. 2016;5(1):1-20.
- Ansari J, Shackelford RE, El-Osta H. Epigenetics in nonsmall cell lung cancer: from basics to therapeutics. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2016;5(2):155-71. https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2016.02.02
- Li MJ, He Q, Li M, Luo F, Guan YS. Role of gefitinib in the targeted treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer in Chinese patients. Onco Targets Ther. 2016;9:1291-302.
- Beom SH, Kim DW, Sim SH, Keam B, Park JH, Lee JO, et al. Gefitinib-induced interstitial lung disease in Korean lung cancer patients. Cancer Res Treat. 2016;48(1):88-97. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.201
- Nguyen KS, Kobayashi S, Costa DB. Acquired resistance to epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors in non-small-cell lung cancers dependent on the epidermal growth factor receptor pathway. Clin Lung Cancer. 2009;10(4):281-9. https://doi.org/10.3816/CLC.2009.n.039
- Whang CY. [Bibliographic study on the therapy of lung cancer by integrated oriental and western medicine]. J Korean Orient Med. 1995;16(2):177-94. Korean.
- Bang SH, Yoon JW, Cho CK, Shin JE, Lee YW, Yoo HS. A case series of survival outcomes in patients with advanced-stage IIIb/IV non-small-cell lung cancer treated with HangAm-plus. J Pharmacopuncture. 2012;15(2):31-5. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2012.15.2.031
- Yim MH, Shin JW, Son JY, Oh SM, Han SH, Cho CK, et al. Soluble components of Hericium erinaceum induce NK cell activation via production of interleukin-12 in mice splenocytes. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2007;28(6):901-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7254.2007.00577.x
- Bi X, Xia X, Mou T, Jiang B, Fan D, Wang P, et al. Anti-tumor activity of three ginsenoside derivatives in lung cancer is associated with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling inhibition. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014;742:145-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.08.032
- Cheon SH, Kim KS, Kim S, Jung HS, Choi WC, Eo WK. Efficacy and safety of Rhus verniciflua stokes extracts in patients with previously treated advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Forsch Komplementmed. 2011;18(2):77-83.
- Park SJ, Kang HJ, Park JH, Cho CK, Yoo HS. [A case report of a clinically diagnosed advanced lung cancer patient after treatment with gunchilgyebok-jung]. J Korean Tradit Oncol. 2015;20(1):23-9. Korean.
- Mok TS, Wu YL, Yang CH, Chu DT, Saijo N, Sunpaweravong P, et al. Gefitinib or carboplatin-paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:947-57. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0810699
- Yang XB, Wu WY, Long SQ, Deng H, Pan ZQ, He WF, et al. Fuzheng Kang'ai decoction combined with gefitinib in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients with epidermal growth factor receptor mutations: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2015;16:146. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-015-0685-2
- Yang XB, Wu WY, Long SQ, Deng H, Pan ZQ. Effect of gefitinib plus Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective case-control study. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(6):1010-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2014.10.001
- Integrative Medicine for Postoperative Patients: A Survey of Korean Medicine Doctors vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/4650343