- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Parental Media Mediation Types on Adolescents' Perception of the Usefulness of the Broadcasting Rating System
부모의 미디어 중재유형이 청소년의 방송프로그램 등급제 실효성 인식에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.09.28
The aim of the study was to explore the effects of parental media mediation types on adolescents' perception of the usefulness of the broadcasting rating system. A total of 520 middle school students participated in the survey. Results showed a higher utility of 'autonomy-supportive restriction' strategy by the parents led to more positive perception of the usefulness of the rating system. This study argues that parents need to pursue a mediation strategy in which a rationale for prohibiting media contents use should be provided and in which the perspective of the adolescent is taken seriously.
Parental Media Mediation;Broadcasting Rating System;Adolescent
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 박은희, 황성연, 심미선, "청소년보시간대와 프로그램등급제의 실효성에 관한 연구," 한국방송학보, 제22권, 제3호, pp.129-171, 2008.
- 유홍식, 청소년의 폭력 영상물 이용 서베이 및 실태조사, 청소년위원회, 2005.
- 이호영, 윤성옥, "어린이.청소년 보호 방송정책에 대한 의견 조사 연구: 편성규제, 청소년시청보호시간대, 프로그램등급제를 중심으로," 한국방송학보, 제24권, 제1호, pp.152-196, 2010.
- 김은미, 청소년 방송.통신 콘텐츠 이용 실태 분석연구, 방송통신심의위원회, 2015.
- B. Bushman and J. Cantor, "Media ratings for violence and sex: Implications for policy-makers and parents," American Psychologist, Vol.58, No.2, pp.130-141, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.58.2.130
- B. Bushman and A. Stack, "Forbidden fruit versus tainted fruit: Effects of warning labels on attraction to television violence," Journal of Experimental Psychology, Vol.2, pp.207-226, 1996.
- J. Gosselt, M. De Jong, and J. Van Hoof, "Effects of media ratings on children and adolescents: A litmus test of the forbidden fruit effect," Journal of Communication, Vol.62, pp.1084-1101, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2011.01597.x
- A. Bandura, "Social cognitive theory of mass communication," Media Psychology, Vol.3, pp.265-299, 2010.
- R. Benrazavi, M. Teimouri, and M. Griffiths, "Utility of parental mediation model on youth's problematic online gaming," International Journal of Mental Health Addiction, Vol.13, pp.712-727, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-015-9561-2
- L. Clark, "Parental mediation theory for the digital age," Communication Theory, Vol.21, pp.323-343, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2885.2011.01391.x
- 안정임, "인터넷 이용 중재유형과 선행요인에 관한 연구," 한국방송학보, 제22권, 제6호, pp.230-266, 2008.
- 이숙정, 전소현, "인터넷 중독에 대한 부모 중재효과 연구," 한국방송학보, 제24권, 제6호, pp.289-322, 2010.
- 조연하, 배진아, "디지털 미디어 환경에서의 가정 내 미디어 이용중재 연구," 미디어, 젠더 & 문화, 제13권, pp.37-74, 2010
- P. Valkenburg, J. Piotrowski, J. Hermanns, and R. de Leeuw, "Developing and validating the perceived parental media mediation scale: A self-determination perspective," Human Communication Research, Vol.39, pp.445-469, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/hcre.12010
- J. Cantor and K. Harrison, "Ratings and advisories for television programming. National television violence study," Thousand Oaks, CA; Sage, Vol.1, pp.361-410, 1997.
- P. Christenson, "The effects of parental advisory labels on adolescent music preferences," Journal of Communication, Vol.42, pp.106-113, 1992 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.1992.tb00772.x
- B. Bushman, "Effects of warning and information labels on attraction to television violence in viewers of different ages," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.36, pp.2073-2078, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0021-9029.2006.00094.x
- J. Smetana, "Parenting styles and conceptions of parental authority during adolescence," Child Development, Vol.66, pp.299-316, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131579
- R. Larson, "Secrets in the bedroom: Adolescents' private use of media," Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol.24, pp.535-550, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537055
- K. Collier, S. Coyne, E. Rasmussen, A. Hawkins, L. Padilla-Walker, S. Erickson, and M. Memmott-Elison, "Dose parental mediation of media influence child outcomes? A meta-analysis on media time, aggression, substance use, and sexual behavior," Developmental Psychology, Vol.52, pp.798-812, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1037/dev0000108
- E. Deci and R. Ryan, "Self-determination theory: A macrotheory of human motivation, development, and health," Canadian Psychology, Vol.49, No.3, pp.182-185, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012801
- 이란, 홍지민, "미디어 환경과 사용에 대한 부모의 심성모형 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제12호, pp.818-834, 2014.
- M. Buijzen, E. Rozendaal, M. Moorman, and M. Tanis, "Parent versus child reports of parental advertising mediation: Exploring the meaning of agreement," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.52, pp.509-525, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838150802437180
- Y. Fujioka and A. Weintraub, "The implications of vantage point in parental mediation of television and child's attitudes toward drinking alcohol," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.47, pp.418-434, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4703_6
- M. Buijzen and P. Valkenburg, "Parental mediation of undesired advertising effects," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.49, No.2, pp.153-165, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4902_1
- S. Livingstone and E. Helsper, "Parental mediation of children's internet use," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.52, pp.581-599, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838150802437396
- G. Mesch, "Social bonds and Internet pornographic exposure among adolescents," Journal of Adolescence, Vol.32, pp.601-618, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.06.004
- E. Vandewater, S. Park, X. Huang, and E. Wartella, "'No-You can't watch that' Parental rules and young children's media use," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol.48, pp.608-623, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764204271497
- M. Bovil and S. Livingstone, Children and their changing media environment, A European Comparative Study, London, 2001.
- S. Livingstone, "Strategies of parental regulation in the media-rich home," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.23, pp.920-941, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2005.08.002
- S. Lee and Y. Chae, "Children's Internet use in a family context: Influence on family relationships and parental mediation," CyberPsychology and Behavior, Vol.10, pp.640-644, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.9975
- S. M. Hong and S. Faedda, "Refinement of the Hong psychological reactance scale," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.56, pp.173-182, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164496056001014
- G. Peterson and D.Hann, "Socializing children and parents in families," In Handbook of marriage and the family, Springer US, pp.327-370, 1999.
- 황선주, 조대제, "원형정합방법을 이용한 방송프로그램의 등급 인식 시스템," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제4권, 제1호, pp.24-31, 2004.
- D. Walsh, "The challenge of the evolving media environment," Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol.27, No.2, pp.69-72, 2000.