- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A High Quality Solution Constructive Heuristic for No-Wait Flow Shop Scheduling Problem
- Nagano, Marcelo Seido (School of Engineering of Sao Carlos, University of Sao Paulo) ;
- Miyata, Hugo Hissashi (School of Engineering of Sao Carlos, University of Sao Paulo)
- Received : 2016.02.06
- Accepted : 2016.09.09
- Published : 2016.09.30
This paper deals with the no-wait flow shop scheduling problem in order to minimize the total time to complete the schedule or makespan. It is introduced a constructive heuristic which builds the production schedule from job partial sequences by using an appropriate mechanism of insertion. An extensive computational experiment has been performed to evaluate the performance of proposed heuristic. Experimental results have clearly shown that the presented heuristic provides better solutions than those from the best heuristics existing.
Production Scheduling;No-Wait Flow Shop;Heuristics;Makespa
Supported by : National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
- Adiri, I. and Pohoryles, D. (1982), Flow shop/no-idle or no-wait scheduling to minimize the sum of completion times, Naval Research Logistics, 29, 495-504. https://doi.org/10.1002/nav.3800290311
- Aldowaisan, T. and Allahverdi, A. (2003), New heuristics for no-wait flow shops to minimize makespan, Computers and Operations Research, 30, 1219-1231. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0548(02)00068-0
- Allahverdi, A. (In Press), A Survey of scheduling problems with no-wait in process, European Journal of Operational Research, doi: 10.1016/j.ejor.2016.05.036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2016.05.036
- Aydilek, H. and Allahverdi, A. (2012), Heuristics for no-wait flowshops with makespan subject to mean completion time, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 219, 351-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.06.024
- Baker, K. R. (1974), Introduction to sequencing and scheduling, Wiley.
- Bertolissi, E. (2000), Heuristic algorithm for scheduling in the no-wait flow-shop, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 107, 459-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00720-2
- Bonney, M. C. and Gundry, S. W. (1976), Solutions to the constrained flowshop sequencing problem, Operations Research Quarterly, 24, 869-883.
- Chaudhry, I. A. and Khan, A. M. (2012), Minimizing makespan for a no-wait flowshop using genetic algorithm, Sadhana, 37(6), 695-707. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-012-0105-1
- Ding, J.-Y., Song, S., Gupta J. N. D., Zhang, R., Chiong, R., and Wu, C. (2015), An improved iterated greedy algorithm with a tabu-based reconstruction strategy for the no-wait flowshop scheduling problem, 30, 604-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2015.02.006
- Fink, A. and Vobb, S. (2003), Solving the continuous flow-shop scheduling problem by metaheuristics, European Journal of Operational Research, 151, 400-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(02)00834-2
- Framinan, J. M. and Nagano, M. S. (2008), Evaluating the performance for makespan minimisation in nowait flowshop sequencing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 97, 1-9.
- Franca, P. M., Tin, A. G., and Buriol, L. S. (2006), Genetic algorithms for the no-wait flowshop sequencing problem with time restrictions, International Journal of Producrion Research, 44(5), 939-957. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540500282914
- Gangadharan, R. and Rajendran, C. (1993), Heuristic algorithms for scheduling in the no-wait flowshop, International Journal of Production Economics, 32, 285-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-5273(93)90042-J
- Grabowski, J. and Pempera, J. L. (2005), Some local search algorithms for no-wait flow-shop problem with makespan criterion, Computers and Operations Research, 32, 2197-2212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2004.02.009
- Hall, N. G. and Sriskandarajah C. (1996), A survey of machine scheduling problems with blocking and no-wait in process, Operations Research, 44, 510-525. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.44.3.510
- Johnson, S. M. (1954), Optimal two-and three-stage production schedules with setup times included, Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, 1, 61-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/nav.3800010110
- King, J. R. and Spachis, A. S. (1980), Heuristics for flowshop scheduling, International Journal of Production Research, 18, 343-357.
- Laha, D. and Chakraborty, U. K. (2009), A constructive heuristic for minimizing makespan in no-wait flow shop scheduling, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 41, 97-109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-008-1454-0
- Laha, D., Gupta, J., and Sapkal, S. (2013), A penaltyshift-insertion-based algorithm to minimize total flow time in no-wait flow shops, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 1-13.
- Laha, D. and Sapkal, S. (2014), An improved heuristic to minimize total flow time for scheduling in the m-machine no-wait flow shop, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 67, 36-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2013.08.026
- Li, X., Wang Q., and Wu, C. (2008), Heuristic for nowait flow shops with makespan minimization, International Journal of Production Research, 46, 2519-2530. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540701737997
- Li, X. and Wu, C. (2008), Heuristic for no-wait flow shops with makespan minimization based on total idle-time increments, Science in China Series FInformation Science, 51(7), 896-909. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11432-008-0080-7
- Liu, B., Wang, L., and Jin, Y. H. (2007), An effective hybrid particle swarm optimization for no-wait flow shop scheduling, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 31(9/10), 1001-1011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-005-0277-5
- Nagano, M. S. and Miyata, H. H. (In press), Review and classification of constructive heuristics for no-wait flow shop problem, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-015-8209-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-8209-5
- Nagano, M. S., Silva, A. A., and Lorena, L. A. N. (2012), A new evolutionary clustering search for a no-wait flow shop problem with set-up times, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 25, 1114-1120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2012.05.017
- Nagano, M. S., Silva, A. A., and Lorena, L. A. N. (2014), An evolutionary clustering search for the no-wait flow shop problem with sequence dependent setup times, Expert Systems with Applications, 41, 3628-3633. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2013.12.013
- Nagano, M. S., Miyata, H. H., and Araújo, D. C. (2015), A constructive heuristic for total flowtime minimization in a no-wait flowshop with sequence-dependent setup times, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 36, 224-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2014.06.007
- Nawaz, M., Enscore, E. Jr., and Ham, I. (1983), A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem, Omega, 1, 91-95.
- Pan, Q.-K., Tasgetiren, M. F., and Liang, Y.-C. (2008), A discrete particle swarm optimization algorithm for the no-wait flowshop scheduling problem, Computers and Operations Research, 35, 2807-2839. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2006.12.030
- Pan, Q.-K., Wang, L., and Zhao, B.-H. (2012), An improved iterated greedy algorithm for the no-wait flow shop scheduling problem with makespan criterion, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 38,778-786.
- Papadimitriou, C. and Kanellakis, P. C. (1980), Flowshop scheduling with limited temporary storage, Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 27, 533-549. https://doi.org/10.1145/322203.322213
- Rajendran, C. (1994), A no-wait flowshop scheduling heuristic to minimize makespan, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 45, 472-478. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1994.65
- Reddi, S. S. and Ramamoorthy, C. V. (1972), On the flowshop sequencing problems with no wait in process, Operational Research Quarterly, 23, 323-331. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1972.52
- Rock, H. (1984), Some new results in flow shop scheduling, Zeitschriflfiir Operations Research, 28, 1-16.
- Samarghandy, H. and Elmekkawty, T. Y. (2012), A genetic algorithm and particle swarm optimization for no-wait flow shop problem with separable setup times and makespan criterion, International of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 61, 1101-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-011-3766-8
- Samarghandy, H. and Elmekkawty, T. Y. (2014), Solving the no-wait flow-shop problem with sequencedependent set-up times, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 27(3), 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2013.812802
- Samarghandy, H. (2015), Studying the effect of server side-constraints on the makespan of the no-wait flow shop problem with sequence-dependent set-up times, International Journal of Production Research, 53 (9), 2652-2673. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2014.974846
- Vallada, E., Ruiz, R., and Framinanan, J. V. (2015), New Hard Benchmark for Flowshop Scheduling Problems Minimising makespan, European Journal of Operational Research, 240(3), 666-677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2014.07.033
- Van Der Veen, J. A. A. and Van Dal, R. (1991), Solvable cases of the no-wait flowshop scheduling problem, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 42, 971-980. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1991.187
- Wismer, D. A. (1972), Solution of the flowshop sequencing problem with no intermediate queues, Operations Research, 20, 689-697. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.20.3.689
- Ying, K.-C., Lee, Z.-J., Lu, C.-C., and Lin, S.-W. (2012), Metaheuristics for scheduling a no-wait flowshop manufacturing cell with sequence-dependent family setups, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 58(5-8), 671-682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-011-3419-y
- -machine no-wait flow-shop scheduling problem with total flow-time minimization: a computational study pp.1029-0273, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2018.1485903