- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Enhanced Hybrid Routing Protocol for Load Balancing in WSN Using Mobile Sink Node
- Kaur, Rajwinder (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chandigarh University) ;
- Shergi, Gurleen Kaur (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chandigarh University)
- Received : 2016.07.30
- Accepted : 2016.08.19
- Published : 2016.09.30
Load balancing is a significant technique to prolong a network's lifetime in sensor network. This paper introduces a hybrid approach named as Load Distributing Hybrid Routing Protocol (LDHRP) composed with a border node routing protocol (BDRP) and greedy forwarding (GF) strategy which will make the routing effective, especially in mobility scenarios. In an existing solution, because of the high network complexity, the data delivery latency increases. To overcome this limitation, a new approach is proposed in which the source node transmits the data to its respective destination via border nodes or greedily until the complete data is transmitted. In this way, the whole load of a network is evenly distributed among the participating nodes. However, border node is mainly responsible in aggregating data from the source and further forwards it to mobile sink; so there will be fewer chances of energy expenditure in the network. In addition to this, number of hop counts while transmitting the data will be reduced as compared to the existing solutions HRLBP and ZRP. From the simulation results, we conclude that proposed approach outperforms well than existing solutions in terms including end-to-end delay, packet loss rate and so on and thus guarantees enhancement in lifetime.
Wireless Sensor Network (WSN);Border Nodes;Greedy Forwarding;Mobile Sinks;Load Balancing
- Batish, S., Mehan, B., Bhatia, R., and Dhiman, A. (2015), Performance Analysis of various Routing Protocols with Preference to Border Nodes in VANET Environment, International Journal of Computer Applications, 121(7).
- Bhende, M. S. (2012), Review paper on topology issues in wireless sensor network, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 2(3), 1680-1684.
- Cheng, L., Chen, Y, Chen, C., and Ma, J. (2009), Querybased data collection in wireless sensor networks with mobile sinks, In Proceedings of the 2009 International conference on wireless communications and mobile computing: connecting the World wirelessly, ACM, 1157-1162.
- Di Francesco, M., Das, S. K., and Anastaasi, G. (2011), Data collection in wireless sensor networks with mobile elements: A survey, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), 8(1), 7.
- Guan, X., Guan, L., wang, X. G., and Ohtsuki, T. (2010), A new load balancing and data collection algorithm for energy saving in wireless sensor networks, Telecommunication Systems, 45(4), 313-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11235-009-9269-3
- Jea, D., Somasundara, A., and Srivastava, M. (2005), Multiple controlled mobile elements (data mules) for data collection in sensor networks, In Distributed computing in sensor systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 244-257.
- Jin, Z., Jian-Ping, Y., Si-Wang, Z., Ya-Ping, L., and Guang, L. (2009), A survey on position-based routing algorithms in wireless sensor networks, Algorithms, 2(1), 158-182. https://doi.org/10.3390/a2010158
- Jung, W. and Cho, S. H. (2010), Load balancing system with sub-network management in wireless sensor networks, In 2010 2nd IEEE International Conference on Network Infrastructure and Digital Content, IEEE, 639-643.
- Liu, Q., Zhang, K., Shen, J., Fu, Z., and Linge, N. (2016), GLRM: An improved grid-based loadbalanced routing method for WSN with single controlled mobile sink, In 2016 18th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), IEEE, 34-38.
- Madani, S. A., Weber, D., and Mahlknecht, S. (2010), Position-based Routing Protocol for Low Power Wireless Sensor Networks, J. UCS, 16(9), 1215-1233.
- Monika, S. B. and Singh, A. (2012), Border-node based movement aware routing protocol, In Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (ICCSE), 164-167.
- Palani, U., Alamelumangai, V., and Nachiappan, A. (2015), Hybrid routing and load balancing protocol for wireless sensor networks, Wireless Networks, 1-8.
- Raw, R. S. and Lobiyal, D. K. (2010), B-MFR routing protocol for vehicular ad hoc networks, In 2010 International Conference on Networking and Information Technology, IEEE, 420-423.
- Safdar, V., Bashir, F., Hamid, Z., Afzal, H., and Pyun, J. Y. (2012), A hybrid routing protocol for wireless sensor networks with mobile sinks, In Wireless and Pervasive Computing (ISWPC), 2012 7th International Symposium on, IEEE, 1-5.
- Sara, G. S. and Sridharan, D. (2014), Routing in mobile wireless sensor network: A survey, Telecommunication Systems, 57(1), 51-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11235-013-9766-2
- Singh, B., Rishma, E., and Phagwara, R. I. E. T. (2012), Performance quantification of Wireless Sensor Networks by implementing ZRP, International journal of Computers and Technology, 2(3).
- Sun, Z., Wang, P., Vuran, M. C., Al-Rodhaan, M. A., Al-Dhelaan, A. M., and Akyildiz, I. F. (2011), BorderSense: Border patrol through advanced wireless sensor networks, Ad Hoc Networks 9(3), 468-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2010.09.008
- Tunca, C., Isik, S., Donmez, M. Y., and Ersoy, C. (2014), Distributed mobile sink routing for wireless sensor networks: a survey, IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, 16(2), 877-897. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2013.100113.00293
- Yadav, S. and Yadav, R. S. (2016), A review on energy efficient protocols in wireless sensor networks, Wireless Networks, 22(1), 335-350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-015-1025-x
- Zhang, M. and Wolff, R. S. (2007), Border node based routing protocol for VANETs in sparse and rural areas, In 2007 IEEE Globecom Workshops, IEEE, 1-7.