- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Occurrence and control of mushroom flies during Agaricus bisporus cultivation in Chungnam, Korea
충남지역 양송이버섯 재배지 버섯파리 발생과 방제 실태
- Received : 2016.07.25
- Accepted : 2016.09.19
- Published : 2016.09.30
Mushroom flies are one of the most serious threats to mushroom production and cultivation in Korea, and they cause significant losses in yield and quality. In this study, we investigated the occurrence and control of mushroom flies in farms where Agaricus bisporus was cultivated in Chungnam. The cultivation period was more than 7 years in the 32 mushroom farms examined; about 28% were environment-friendly cultivation farms, and 72% were conventional cultivation farms. Mushroom flies were a major pest in about 84% of the examined farms. Most of the mushroom flies were sciarids and phorids (71% and 24%, respectively). The adult flies were found throughout the year, but their occurrence was the highest in September when the temperature increased. In general, the occurrence of mushroom flies in the examined farms was high; however, insect nets and post-crop steaming programs used as basic control methods were not implemented properly. Our findings show that integrated pest management of mushroom flies is urgently required for A. bisporus cultivation in Korea.
Agaricus bisporus;Mushroom fly;Phorid;Post-crop steaming;Sciarid
- Clancy G. 1981. Observations of mites associated with the low yielding crops of cultivated Agaricus bisporus in Australia. Mushroom Sci. 11:233-244.
- Coles P. 2002. Pennsylvania Mushroom Integrated Pest Management Handbook. The Pennsylvania State University.
- Barros L, Falcao S, Baptista P, Freire C, Vilas-Boas M, Ferreira ICFR. 2008. Antioxidant activity of Agaricus sp. mushrooms by chemical, biochemical and electrochemical assays. Food Chem. 111:61-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.03.033
- Beyer DM, Fleischer S, Wuest PJ. 1999. Crop Profile for Mushrooms in Pennsylvania. NSF Center for Integrated Pest Management, USA.
- Clift AD. 1979. The pest status and control of insects and mites associated with cultivated mushrooms in Australia. Mushroom J. 75:113-116.
- Erler F, Polat E, Demir H, Catal M, Tuna G. 2011. Control of mushroom sciarid fly Lycoriella ingenua populations with insect growth regulators applied by soil drench. Ecotocicology. 104:839-844.
- Hood IA, Beets PN, Kimberley MO, Gardner JF, Oliver GR, Pearce S. 2004. Colonisation of podocarp coarse woody debris by decomposer basidiomycete fungi in an indigenous forest in the central North Island of New Zealand. Forest Ecol Manag. 196:311-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2004.03.024
- Hussey NW, Gurney B. 1968. Biolgy and control of sciarid Lycoriella auripila Winn. (Diptera, Lycoriidae) in mushroom culture. Ann Appl Biol. 62:395-403. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7348.1968.tb05451.x
- Irazoqui FJ, Zalazar FE, Nores GA, Vides MA. 1997. Agaricus bisporus lectin binds mainly O-glycans but also N-glycans of human IgA subclasses. Glycoconjugate J. 14:313-319. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018566527271
- Jagadish LK, Krishnan VV, Shenbhagaraman R, Kaviyarasan V. 2009. Comparative study on the antioxidant, anticancer and antimicrobial property of Agaricus bisporus (J. E. Lange) Imbach before and after boiling. Afr J Biotechnol. 8:654-661.
- Kent D, Sheridan C, Tomkinson HA, White S, Hiscott P, Grierson I. 2003. Edible mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) lectin modulates human retinal pigment epithelial cell behaviour in vitro. Exp Eye Res. 76:213-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-4835(02)00281-6
- Kiel C. 2002. Arthropod pests: Pennsylvania Mushroom Intergrated Pest Management Handbook
- Kim HH, Cho MR, Kang TJ, Ahn SJ, Jeon SW, Lee CJ, Cheong JC. 2012. Damage and biological control of dark winged fungus gnats, Lycoriella ingenua (Diptera: Sciaridae) in a shiitake cultivation. J Mushroom Sci Prod. 10:184-190.
- Kim KJ, Hwang CY. 1996. An investigation of insect pest on the mushroom (Lentinus edodes, Pleurotus ostreatus) in south region of Korea. Korean J Appl Entomol. 35:45-51.
- Kim SR, Choi KH, Cho ES, Yang WJ, Jin BR, Sohn HD. 1999. An investigation of the major dipteran pests on the oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) in Korea. Korean J Appl Entomol 38:41-46.
- Kwon SJ, Kim HH, Song JS, Cho MR, Kim DH, Yang CY, Kang TJ, Ahn SJ, Jeon SW. 2013. Molecular identification of fungus gnats from shiitake mushroom in Korea. J Mushroom Sci Prod. 11:201-207. https://doi.org/10.14480/JM.2013.11.4.201
- Nasiri F, Tarzi BG, Bassiri AR, Hoseini SE, Aminafshar M. 2013. Comparative study on the main chemical composition of button mushroom's (Agaricus bisporus) cap and stipe. J Food Biosci Technol. 3:41-48.
- Rinker DL, Olthof THA, Daro J, Alm G. 1993. Effects of entomopathogenic nematodes on control of a mushroom-infesting sciarid fly and on mushroom production. Bio Sci Tech. 5:109-119.
- Shamshad A. 2010. The development of integrated pest management for the control of mushroom sciarid flies, Lycoriella ingenua (Dufour) and Bradysia ocellaris (Comstock), in cultivated mushrooms. Pest Manag Sci. 66:1063-1074. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1987
- Shin SG, Lee HS, Lee SH. 2012. Dark winged fungus gnats (Diptera: Sciaridae) collected from shiitake mushroom in Korea. J Asia-Pacific Entomol. 15:174-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2011.09.005
- Wetzel HA. 1981. Integrated pest management. Musrhoom News. 29:29-33.
- White PF. 1985. Pests and pesticides. In The Biology and Technology of the Cultivated Mushroom, p279-293, ed. Flegg PB, Spencer DM, Wood DA. Wiley Publisher, Chichester
- Winer EP, Hudis C, Burstein HJ, Chlebowski RT, Ingle JN, Edge SB, Mamounas EP, Gralow J, Goldstein LJ, Pritchard KI. 2002. American society of clinical oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: Status Report 2002. J Clin Oncol. 20:3317-3127. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.06.020
- Wyatt IJ. 1963. Mushroom cecids. Ann Rep Glasshouse Crops REs Inst. 1962:75-76.
- (Acari: Microdispidae) and mushroom flies in Spanish crops pp.00034746, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/aab.12498
Supported by : 농림수산식품기술기획평가원(IPET)