- Volume 16 Issue 10
Human resource management (HRM) deals with essentially complex human phenomena and multiple interactive relationships. Thus, the use of quantitative data to research and understand HRM is necessarily limited. Although important qualitative issues in HRM research are often central to supporting or creating a firm's competitive advantage, they are frequently neglected. Research into HRM is increasingly difficult and complicated, therefore, it is very difficult to research through strict quantitative methods. This paper's focus is to develop an effective idea for applying qualitative research approaches to HRM studies. A justification of a qualitative approach is considered as being a superior means for researching HRM issues. The underlying foundation of this paper is that new problems are confronted HRM research, therefore, qualitative research methods will be necessary. It is suggested that quantitative analysis in understanding and explaining firm's HRM is not sufficient and a qualitative may provide the indepth insight into HR researches.
Human Resource Management;Qualitative Approach;Case Study;Method
Supported by : 배재대학교
- S. K. Shah and K. G. Corley, "Building Better Theory by Bridging the Quantitative- Qualitative Divide," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.43, No.8, pp.1821-1835, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00662.x
- K. Punch, Introduction to Social Research: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches (2nd Ed.), CA: Sage, 2005.
- H. G. Ridder and C. Hoon, "Introduction to the Special Issue: Qualitative Methods in Research on Human Resource Management," Zeitschrift fuer Personalforschung, Vol.23, No.2, pp.93-106, 2009.
- N. K. Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln, "Introduction: Entering the Field of Qualitative Research," In: N. K. Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), The Landscape of Qualitative Research, Thousand Oaks, pp.1-34, 1998.
- M. Gibbert, W. Ruigrok, and B. Wicki, "What Passes as Rigorous Case Study?," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.29, No.13, pp.1465-1474, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.722
- K. M. Eisenhardt and M. E. Graebner, "Theory Building from Cases: Opportunities and Challenges," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.50, No.1, pp.25-32, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160888
- T. Kiessling and M. Harvey, "Strategic Global Human Resource Management Research in the Twenty-First Century: An Endorsement of the Mixed-Method Research Methodology," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.16, No.1, pp.22-45, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519042000295939
- R. K. Yin, Case Study Research: Design and Methods(4th Ed.), CA: Sage, 2009.
- 김효근, 이현주, 문윤지, "한국 경영현상 분석을 위한 연구방법론의 재고: 질적 연구방법론을 중심으로," 경영교육연구, 제6권, 제2호, pp.47-66, 2003.
- 이정언, 김강식, "전략적 인적자원관리: 인적자원관리와 성과와의 관계를 둘러싼 논의," 질서경제저널, 제12권, 제1호, pp.85-107, 2009.
- B. E. Becker and M. A. Huselid, "Strategic Human Resource Management: Where Do We Go from Here?," Journal of Management, Vol.32, No.6, pp.898-925, 2006.
- J. Godard, "A Critical Assessment of the High-Performance Paradigm," British Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol.42, No.2, pp.349-378, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8543.2004.00318.x
- M. Marchington and S. Zagelmeyer, "Forward: Linking HRM and Performance - a Never-Ending Search?" Human Resource Management Journal, Vol.15, No.4, pp.3-8, 2005.
- K. Sanders and J. K. Looise, "The Value of HRM?! Optimising the Architecture of HRM," Management Revue, Vol.17, No.3, pp.219-222, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5771/0935-9915-2006-3-219
- 오계택, 윤양배, "전략적 인사관리에서의 근로자 태도의 매개효과," 직업능력개발연구, 제11권, 제3호, pp.97-125, 2008.
- D. E. Guest, "Human Resource Management and Performance: A Review and Research Agenda," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.8, No.3, pp.263-276, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/095851997341630
- B. O. Ehigie and R. I. Ehigie, "Applying Qualitative Methods in Organizations: A Note for Industrial/Organizational Psychologists," The Qualitative Report, Vol.10, No.3, pp.621-638, 2005.
- 김미혜, 이현주, 서미경, "연구논문: 정년퇴직 후, 재취업에 성공한 한국 남성노인의 구직경험에 관한 현상학적 연구," 한국노년학, 제28권, 제1호, pp.123-142, 2008.
- J. W. Creswell, Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions, CA: Sage, 2010.
- P. E. Spector, Industrial & Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice (3rd Ed.), NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2005.
- R. E. Stake, "Qualitative Case Studies," In: N. K. Denzin, & Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research (3rd Ed.), pp.443-466, CA: Sage, 2005.
- W. A. Firestone, "Alternative Arguments for Generalizing from Data as Applied to Qualitative Research," Educational Researcher, Vol.22, No.4, pp.16-23, 1993.
- B. Flyvbjerg, "Five Misunderstandings about Case-Study Research," In: C. Seale, G. Gobo, J. F. Gubrium, and D. Silverman (Eds.), Qualitative Research Practice, pp.421-434, CA: Sage, 2004.
- M. B. Miles and A. M. Huberman, Qualitative Data Analysis (2nd Ed.), CA: Sage, 1994.
- M. Q. Patton, Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, CA: Sage, 2002.
- N. Sigglekow, "Persuasion with Case Studies," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.50, No.1, pp.20-24, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160882
- K. M. Eisenhardt, "Building Theories from Case Study Research, Academy of Management Review," Vol.14, No.4, pp.532-550, 1989.
- J. E. Dutton and J. M. Dukerich, "Keeping an Eye on the Mirror: The Role of Image and Identity in Organizational Adaptation," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.34, No.3, pp.517-554, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/256405
- C. Gilbert, "Unbundling the Structure of Inertia: Resource versus Routine Rigidity," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.48, No.5, pp.741-763, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.18803920
- D. Leonard-Barton, "A Dual Methodology for Case Studies: Synergistic Use of a Longitudinal Single Site with Replicated Multiple Sites," Organization Science, Vol.1, No.3, pp.248-266, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1.3.248
- 임정선, "장기해고노동자의 심리적 경험에 대한 질적 연구: 노동조합 조합원을 대상으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제7호, pp.228-243, 2015.
- 이학종, "한국경영학과 사례연구," 경영학연구, 제23권, 제2호, pp.117-128, 1994.
- P. S. Barr, "Current and Potential Importance of Qualitative Methods in Strategy Research," In: D. Ketchen and D. Bergh (Eds.), Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, Oxford: Elsevier, Vol.1, pp.165-188, 2004.
- T. W. Lee, T. R. Mitchell, and C. J. Sablynski, "Qualitative Research in Organizational and Vocational Psychology, 1979-1999," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.55, No.2, pp.161-187, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1707
- 한태영, "중장년 근로자의 가교일자리 전직 현상과 성공 요인: 질적 연구방법론을 통한 탐색적 연구," 조직과 인사관리연구, 제38집, 제2권, pp.223-265, 2014.
- T. W. Lee, Using Qualitative Methods in Organizational Research, CA: Sage, 1999.
- C. Collins, J. Ericksen, and M. Allen, "A Qualitative Investigation of the Human Resources Management Practices in Small Businesses," CAHRS Working Paper Series, Working Paper 04-14, 2004.
- P. E. Tesluk and R. R. Jacobs, "Toward an Integrated Model of Work Experience," Personnel Psychology, Vol.51, No.2, pp.2-36, 1998.
- T. H. Macan and R. L. Dipboye, "The Effects of the Application on Processing of Information from the Employment Interview," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.24, No.14, pp.1291-1314, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1994.tb00559.x
- E. L. Levine, R. A. Ash, and N. Bennet, "Exploratory Comparative Study of Four Job Analysis Methods," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.65, No.5, pp.524-535, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.65.5.524
- R. E. Riggio, Introduction to Industrial/ Organizational Psychology (4th Ed.), NJ: Prentice Hall, 2003.
- S. J. Motowidlo, M. D. Dunnette, and G. W. Carter, "An Alternative Selection Procedure: The Low-Fidelity Simulation," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.75, No.6, pp.640-647, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.75.6.640