- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
How can Authentic Leadership Affect Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Job Performance?: The Role of Organizational Climate as a Mediator
진성리더십이 조직시민행동 및 직무성과에 미치는 영향: 조직분위기 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2016.08.26
- Accepted : 2016.09.12
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study analyzes the effect of authentic leadership on organizational climate, organizational citizenship behavior, and job performance to suggest the implications behind the growing importance of authentic leadership. In particular, this study substantiates existing arguments that organizational climate moderates the tension between leaders and employees by investigating the mediating effects of organizational climate on the relationship between authentic leadership and job performance. A survey was conducted on employees of various business areas in Korea, and 444 responses were used in statistical analysis which was performed using SPSS/WIN 24.0 and STATA 14.0 statistics package and verified using structural equations. The analysis results showed that 1) authentic leadership has positive effects on organizational climate, organizational citizenship behavior, job performance; 2) organizational climate has positive effects on organizational citizenship behavior and job performance; 3) organizational citizenship behavior has a positive effect on job performance; and 4) organizational climate performs a mediating role in the relationships among authentic leadership, organizational citizenship behavior, and job performance. By including organization climate's mediating effect as a factor in the research on authentic leadership, this study presents a new perspective for future studies on leadership.
Authentic Leadership;Organizational Climate;Organizational Citizenship Behavior;Job Performance
Supported by : 순천향대학교, 서울과학종합대학원대학교
- T. G. Cummings and C. G. Worley, Organization Development and Change, 9th Ed. DH: Sourth-Western, a part of Cengage Learning, 2014.
- P. Kanawattanachai and Y. Yoo, "Dynamic nature of trust in virtual teams," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol.11, No.3-4, pp.187-213, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8687(02)00019-7
- Y. H. Ryu, K. S. Song, and J. H. Koo, "The Influence of Transformational Leadership Exhibited by Organizational Leaders on Organizational Commitment: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Knowledge Management Activities," Management and Information Systems Review, Vol.34, No.3, pp.273-302, 2015. https://doi.org/10.29214/damis.2015.34.3.015
- B. J. Kim and M. H. Chung, "Harmonizing dependency and independence: The ambidextrous effects of transformational leadership and mediating role of trust and perceived control," Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol.25, No.2, pp.453-476, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.2.201205.453
- The Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, The Report of Organizational Health and Company Culture among Korean Companies, 2016.
- J. I. Jung, A Study on the Effect of Authentic Leadership on the Member' Organizational Citizenship Behavior, The Graduate School of Business Administration Dongshin University: Naju, 2015.
- B. J. Avolio and W. L. Gardner, "Authentic leadership development: Getting to the root of positive forms of leadership," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3, pp.315-338, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.001
- R. Ilies, F. P. Morgeson, and J. D. Nahrgang, "Authentic leadership and eudaemonic well-being: Understanding leader-follower outcomes," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3, pp.373-394, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.002
- B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, F. O. Walumbwa, F. Luthans, and D. R. May, "Unlocking the mask: A look at the process by which authentic leaders impact follower attitudes and behaviors," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.15, No.6, pp.801-823, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.09.003
- W. J. Choi and Y. H. Cho, "The Effects of Authentic Leadership on Psychological Well-being and Adaptive Performance: The Mediating Role of Self-Efficacy," Korean Journal of Management, Vol.21, No.1, pp.185-228, 2013.
- F. Luthans and B. J. Avolio, Authentic Leadership: A Positive Developmental Approach, K. S. Cameron, J. E. Dutton, R. E. Quinn, Positive organizational scholarship, 2003.
- S. Harter, Authenticity, Snyder, C. R. (Ed) & Lopez, S. J. (Ed), Handbook of positive psychology, London: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- M. Heidegger, Being and Time, trans. J. Macquarrie and E. Robinson, New York: Harper and Row, 1962.
- J. P. Sartre, Being and Nothingness, 1943.
- C. R. Rogers, "A Theory of Therapy, Personality, and Interpersonal Relationships: As Developed in the Client-Centered Framework," in Psychology: A Study of a Science, Vol.3, No.1, S. Koch, Ed. Toronto: McGraw-Hill, 1959.
- C. R. Rogers, "Actualizing tendency in relation to 'Motives' and to consciousness," in Nebraska symposium on motivation, 11, M. R. Jones, Ed. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, pp.1-24, 1963.
- A. Maslow, Motivation and Personality, New York: Harper & Row, 1968.
- A. Maslow, The Father Reaches of Human Nature, New York: Harper & Row, 1971.
- M. G. Thompson, "The way of authenticity and the quest of personal integrity," European Journal of Psychology: Counselling and Health, Vol.7, No.3, pp.143-157, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/13642530500248151
- A. Chan, S. T. Hannah, and W. L. Gardner, Veritable authentic leadership: Emergence, functioning, and impacts, in Authentic leadership theory and practice: Origins, effects and development 3, W. L. Gardner, B. J. Avolio, and F. O. Walumbwa, Eds. Monograph in leadership and management, San Diego: Elsevier Inc., pp.3-41, 2005.
- L. Trilling, Sincerity and Authenticity, Cambridge: MA7. Harvard University Press, 1972.
- C. Rogers, On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1961.
- J. Y. Yun, The Effect of Authentic Leadership on Organizational Effectiveness: The Mediating Role of Organization-Based Self-Esteem and Resilience, The Graduate School of Business Administration SungKyunKwan University: Seoul, 2014.
- B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, and F. O. Walumbwa, Authentic Leadership Scale (ALQ Version 1.0 Self), Mind Garden: Redwood City, CA, 2007.
- W. L. Gardner, B. J. Avolio, F. Luthans, D. R. May, and F. Walumbwa, "Can you see the real me?' A self-based model of authentic leader and follower development," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3, pp.343-372, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.003
- B. Shamir and G. Eilam, "'What's your story?' A life-stories approach to authentic leadership development," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3, pp.395-417, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.005
- J. G. Yoon, What Is Authenticity?, Haneon: Seoul, 2012.
- F. O. Walumbwa, B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, T. S. Wernsing, and S. J. Peterson, "Authentic Leadership: Development and Validation of a Theory-Based Measure," Journal of Management, Vol.34, No.1, pp.89-126, 2008.
- S. H. Hong, An Analysis of the Structural Relationships Between Authentic Leadership of the CEO of Small and Medium Business, Learning Organization, Positive Psychological Capital of the Employees and Organizational Effectiveness. Department of Lifelong Education Graduate School Soongsil University: Seoul, 2011.
- R. Stringer, Leadership and Organizational Climate, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- E. T. Moran and J. F. Volkswein, "The Cultural Approach to the Formation of Organizational Climate," Human Relations, Vol.45, No.1, pp.19-48, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679204500102
- W. H. Glick, "Conceptualizing and measuring organizational and psychological climate," Academy of management review, Vol.10, No.3, pp.601-616, 1985. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1985.4279045
- A. P. Jones and L. R. James, "Psychological climate: Dimensions and relationships of individual and aggregated work environment perceptions," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.23, No.2, pp.201-250, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(79)90056-4
- L. R. James and A. P. Jones, "Organizational Climate: A review of theory and research," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.81, No.12, pp.1096-1112, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037511
- G. H. Litwin and R. A. Stringer Jr, Motivation and Organizational Climate, Harvard University Press, 1968.
- H. S. Kim, "A Study on the Controversies and Current Research Trends about Organizational Climate," Journal of Graduate School Research Paper, Vol.7, pp.227-248, 1999.
- A. K. Srivastav, "Organizational climate as a dependent variable: Relationship with role stress, coping strategy and personal variables," Journal of Management Research, Vol.6, No.3, pp.125-136, 2006.
- R. D. Pritchard and B. W. Karasick, "The effects of organizational climate on managerial job performance and job satisfaction," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.9, No.1, pp.126-146, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(73)90042-1
- S. K. Lee, Y. H. Kim, and U. H. Lee, "A study on the Effect of the Organizational Climate on the Job Satisfaction and Job performance," Journal of the Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol.32, No.3, pp.20-28, 2009.
- C. Novac and C. I. Bratanov, "The Impact of the Leadership Style on the Organizational Climate in a Public Entity," Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy, Vol.2, No.1, pp.155-179, 2014.
- W. B. Yang, H. W. Kim, and C. G. Kim, "The Effect of ROTC Students' Through Value of Sports Activity Recogniz to Organizational Climate and Organizational Commitment," Korean Society For The Study of Physical Education, Vol.19, No.1, pp.113-127, 2014.
- K. Nelson, J. S. Boudrias, L. Brunet, D. Morin, M. De Civita, A. Savoie, and M. Alderson, "Authentic leadership and psychological well-being at work of nurses: The mediating role of work climate at the individual level of analysis," Burnout Research, Vol.1, No.2, pp.90-101, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.burn.2014.08.001
- B. Y. Cheon, Newcomer's Socialization Process and Adjustment to Organization: The Mediating Effect of Acceptance of Organizational Value and Psychological Climate. The Graduate School Chung-Ang University: Seoul, 2013.
- D. W. Organ, Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Good Soldier Syndrome, Lexington, 1988.
- D. W. Bateman and T. S. Organ, "Job satisfaction and good soldier: The relationship between affect and employee citizenship," Academy of Management journal, Vol.26, No.4, pp.587-595, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/255908
- D. Katz and R. L. Kahn, The Social Psychology of Organizations, New York: Wiley, 1966.
- H. S. Ko and J. Y. Lee, "Effect of Leadership Type on the Organizational Commitment and Organization Citizenship Behavior of Hotel Employees," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.9, No.9, pp.346-358, 2009.
- R. P. Tett and J. P. Meyer, "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: path analyses based on meta analytic findings," Personnel psychology, Vol.46, No.2, pp.259-293, 1993.
- D. W. Koo and S. M. Lee, "The Effect of General Manager's Authentic Leadership in Hotel on Employee's Job Satisfaction, Commitment, and Job Performance," Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, Vol.23, No.5, pp.197-219, 2014.
- M. Blumberg and C. D. Pringle, "The missing, opportunity in organizational research: Some implications for a theory of work performance," Academy of Management Review, Vol.7, No.4, pp.560-569, 1982.
- S. P. Brown and R. A. Peterson, "Antecedents and Consequences of Salesperson Job Satisfaction A Meta-analysis and Assessment of Causal Effects," Journal of Marketing, Vol.30, No.2, pp.66-70, 1993.
- J. W. Lee and J. W. Park, "Effects Hotel Leader's Transformational Leadership on Job Performance: Focused on Intermediating Effect of Organizational Commitment and Job Commitment," Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol.27, No.12, pp.393-409, 2015.
- T. H. Kim, The Relationship Between Communication and Organizational Effectiveness of Professional Dancers, The Graduate School of Chung-Ang University: Seoul, 2006.
- M. H. Kim, A. H. Kim, and E. J. Song, "The Relationship between Authentic Leadership, Trust in Leader and OCB of Hotel Restaurant," Journal of Food service Management Society of Korea, Vol.17, No.2, pp.117-134, 2014.
- M. H. Kim and C. H. Nam, "The Effect of Managers' Authentic Leadership on Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Focused on the Mediating Effects of Psychological Capital," Journal of Foodservice Management Society of Korea, Vol.16, No.6, pp.29-47, 2013.
- W. L. Gardner, C. C. Cogliser, K. M. Davis, and M. P. Dickens, "Authentic leadership: A review of the literature and research agenda," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.22, No.6, pp.1120-1145, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.09.007
- D. W. Long and L. Fahey, "Diagnosing cultural barriers to knowledge management," Academy of Management Perspectives, Vol.14, No.4, pp.113-127, 2000. https://doi.org/10.5465/AME.2000.3979820
- M. Paulin, R. J. Ferguson, and J. Bergeron, "Service climate and organizational commitment: The importance of customer linkages," Journal of Business Research, Vol.59, No.8, pp.906-915, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.03.004
- S. Jin, A Study on the Effect of the Organizational Climate on the Job Satisfaction and Job Performance, Depatment of Business Administration Graduate School University of incheon: Incheon, 2012.
- F. O. Walumbwa, C. A. Hartnell, and A. Oke, "Servant leadership, procedural justice climate, service climate, employee attitudes, and organizational citizenship behavior: A cross-level investigation," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.95, No.3, pp.517-529, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018867
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, "A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment," Human Resource Management Review, Vol.1, No.1, pp.61-89, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- C. A. Smith, D. W. Organ, and J. P. Near, "Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.68, No.4, pp.653-663, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.4.653
- J. S. Lee, A Study on Suitability of Authentic Leadership Questionnaire in Korean Corporate Sites, The Graduate School of Education Yonsei University: Seoul, 2010.
- R. Likert, The Human Organization: Its Management and Values, 1967.
- J. P. Campbell, On the Nature of Organizational Effectiveness, New perspectives on organizational effectiveness, P.S. Goodman and J. M. Pennings, eds. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass, 13-55, 1977.
- H. S. Ko, The Effects of the Supervisor's Leadership and Perceived Organizational Support, the Individual's Needs for Achievement on the Organizational Commitment: Focused on the Role of Self-Leadership. The Graduate School of Business Administration, Seoul School of Integrated Sciences & Technologies: Seoul, 2012.
- L. J. Williams and S. E. Anderson, "Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behavior," journal of management, Vol.17, No.3, pp.601-617, 1991.
- J. Yang, K. W. Mossholder, and T. K. Peng, "Supervisory procedural justice effects: The mediating roles of cognitive and affective trust," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.20, No.2, pp.143-154, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2009.01.009
- J. H. Kim, "The Effects of Perception and Attitude on Corporate Philanthropy on Job Performance: Focusing on Mediated Effects of Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Social Science Research Review, Vol.28, No.2, pp.127-148, 2012.
- H. S. Lee and J. H. Lim, SPSS 20.0 Manual, JypHyunJae: Seoul, 2013.
- J. C. Anderson and D. W. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modelling In Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, pp.411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.3, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, J. Y. Lee, and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common method biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies," The Journal of applied psychology, Vol.88, No.5, pp.879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- P. A. Pavlou, H. Liang, and Y. Xue, "Understanding and Mitigating Uncertainty in Online Exchange Relationships: A Principal-Agent Perspective," MIS Quarterly, Vol.31, No.1, pp.105-136, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148783
- J. G. Tak and T. W. Roh "Effects of Supervisor's Authentic Leadership on Job Performance for Employees: Focused on the Mediating Effect of Organizational Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No.7, pp.319-336, 2016.
- J. Barlow and C. Moller, A Complaint Is a Gift: Using Customer Feedback as a Strategic Tool, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 1996.