- Volume 16 Issue 10
In this paper, we perform analysis of the performance of low-power communication technology, IEEE 802.15.4 MAC (Media Access Control) protocol used in internet of things. Wide variety of devices in internet of things generate different kinds of traffic characteristics and heterogeneous traffic environment is therefore considered in contrast to existing works. With the help of the Markov chain the performance of the protocol is derived as a function of the MAC parameters and based on the results a framework to determine energy-efficient optimal MAC parameters for applications in real time is proposed. Proposed method is shown to be more efficient in terms of energy consumption through performance comparison over application scenarios compared to operation with fixing MAC parameters, and its practicability on small devices with limited computing power is verified through evaluating the accuracy and speed of the proposed framework.
Internet of Things;Low-power Communication;MAC;IEEE 802.15.4;Markov Chain
Supported by : 배재대학교
- 최영환, 최윤철, 윤주상, "사물인터넷을 위한 네트워킹 기술," 한국통신학회 정보와 통신 열린강좌 제32권, 제12호(별책2호), pp.12-19, 2015.
- 박판근, "사물인터넷을 위한 라우팅과 매체접근 제어의 상호작용," 한국정보통신학회논문지, Vol.19, No.10, pp.2465-2472, 2015.
- 양현호, "유비쿼터스 센서 망에서의 에너지 절약형 매체접근 제어 프로토콜," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.8, No.1, pp.177-185, 2008.
- Z. Shelby, S. Chakrabarti, E. Nordmark, and C. Bormann, "Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs)," IETF RFC 6775, Nov. 2012.
- 김경자, 한상훈, 구현우,"MANET에서 네트워크 수명 연장을 위한 라우팅 프로토콜," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.10, No.2, pp.120-129, 2010.
- IEEE Std 802.15.4TM "2003, Part 15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPANs), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2003.
- G. Bianchi, "Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function," IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol.18, No.3, pp.535-547, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/49.840210
- P. Park, P. Di Marco, C. Fischione, and K. H. Johansson, "Modeling and Optimization of the IEEE 802.15.4 Protocol for Reliable and Timely Communications," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol.24, No.3, pp.550-564, 2009.
- S. Pollin, M. Ergen, S. C. Ergen, B. Bougard, L. V. Perre, I. Moerman, A. Bahai, P. Varaiya, and F. Catthoor, "Performance Analysis of Slotted Carrier Sense IEEE 802.15.4 Medium Access Layer," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.7, No.9, pp.3359-3371, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2008.060057