- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Knowledge, Attitude, and Education Needs of Radiation Protection Among Nursing Students and Nurses
간호학생과 간호사의 방사선 방어에 대한 지식, 태도와 교육 요구
- Received : 2016.07.19
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.10.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the knowledge, attitude and educational needs of radiation protection among nursing students and nurses, because it is needed to raise awareness of the importance of radiation protection. The participants in this study were 274 including 135 registered nurses on bachelor's degree course who had experience of the operating room practice and 139 nursing students. The questionnaire consisted of 45 items including knowledge, attitude, and educational needs of radiation protection. The findings of the study suggest that safe management education was insufficient for protection of radiation. Though, educational needs and intention of involvement were high, the respondents who were more knowledgeable about radiation protection took a better attitude of radiation protection. A radiation protection course development is needed according to educational needs. Nurses have to get a chance to receive education outside the hospital or be provided with a radiation protection program as internal education. Also, radiation educational experts and various visual and auditory materials are needed to promote effectiveness of education.
Radical Protection;Knowledge;Attitude;Educational Needs Assesment
- G. N. Choi, J. S. Jeon, and Y. W. Kim, "Radiation exposure dose on persons engaged in radiation-related industries," J. of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol.6, No.2, pp.27-37, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2012.6.1.027
- C. H. Yoon, S. H. Yoon, and J. S. Choi, "Radiation exposure according to radiation technologist working department," Korean Radiation Technology Research, Vol.31, No,3, pp.271-222, 2008.
- ICRP, "Pregnancy and medical radiation. ICRP Publication 84," Annals of ICRP, Vol.30, No.1, 2000.
- A. Mesbahi and A. Rouhani, "A study on the radiation dose of the orthopaedic surgeon and staff from a mini C-arm fluoroscopy," Radiation Protection Domistrey, Vol.132, No.1, pp.98-101, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncn227
- D. H. Lee, "Review: Drug-eluting stent in gastrointestinal disease," The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol.49, No.5, pp.294-299, 2007.
- S. Ko, B. Kang, and C. Lim, "Shielding effect of radiation protector for interventional procedure," J. of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.30, No.3, pp.213-218, 2007.
- S. M. Hong and S. H. Shin, "Factors influencing endoscopy nurses' protective behavior against radiation exposure," J of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.20, No.2, pp.177-188, 2014.
- S. G. Kang and E. N. Lee, "Knowledge of radiation protection and the recognition and performance of radiation protection behavior among-perioperative nurses," The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol.20, No.3, pp.247-257, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.247
- S. Y. Song, Establishment of Education system on Radiological Protection in Diagnostic Radiology, Academic Cooperation Foundation Hanyang University, 2006.
- E. G. Abis, N. A. Drage, H. S. Thomas, R. G. Newcombe, and E. S. Nash, "Continuing dental education in radiation protection: Monitoring the outcomes," Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Vol.38, pp.127-133, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/78885709
- J. Y. Han, "Nursing students' perceptions of clinical learning environment(CLE)," J of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.12, No.5, pp.2595-2607, 2010.
- E. O. Han, Survey and study on the safety management of radiation: Centering on the radiation workers in medical institutions, Master's thesis, Ewha womans university, 2002.
- S. J. Kim, An inquiry into dental personnel's knowledge, attitude and behavior about the defense against dental radiation, Master's thesis, Ghung-Ang University, 2003.
- S. Kim, J. Lee, S. Hwang, M. Cho, J. Park, N. Jedong, and B. Yoo, "Knowledge and attitude change towards radiation protection after radiation safety management education in dental hygiene students," J of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene., Vol.15, No.1, pp.101-109, 2015. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.101
- E. Han and D. Kwon, "Analysis of the trend of knowledge, attitude and behavior related to radiation safety management: Focused on radiation workers at medical institutions," J of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.30, No.4, pp.321-327, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, Study on the Knowledge, perception, and behavior about the protection of workers who have risk of radiation-exposure in hospital, Master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2001.
- Y. Jeon, P. Cho, E. Han, H, Jang, J. Ko, and Y. Kim, "The knowledge, attitude and behavior on the radiation safety management for dental hygiene major students," J of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.38, No.4, pp.411-420, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17946/JRST.2015.38.4.11
- J. Yoon and Y. Yoon, "A survey about the knowledge, attitudes and behavior for radiation safety management of operating room nurse and dental hygienists," J of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.14, No.2, pp.230-239, 2014.
- Y. Yoon, J. Kim, H. Kim, I. Choi, D. Sung, K. Do, and H. Kim, "Report for spreading culture of medical radiation safety in korea: Mainly the activities of the korean alliance for radiation safety and culture in medicine(KARSM)," Korean Radiation Technology Research, Vol.36, No.3, pp.193-200, 2013.
- B. J. Park, "Analysis of adolescent awareness of radiation: Marking the first anniversary of the fukushima nuclear accident," J of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol.37, No.2, pp.75-83, 2012.
- S. Ko, H. Kim, S. Kang, B. Park, and C. Kim, "Study of graduate curriculum in the radiological science: Problems and suggestions," J of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.29, No.4, pp.293-301, 2006.
- H. K. Kim, M. Y. Soun, and H. S. Go, "Development of international education and training program for building practical competence in radiation protection," J of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol.38, No.1, pp.1-9, 2013.
- Y. H. Kim, "Autonomy, teaching effectiveness, and clinical practice satisfaction for fundamentals nursing clinical practice in student nurses," J of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.13, No.1, pp.6-14, 2006.
- Y. Lee, Instrumental medium in early childhood education, Gyomoonsa, 2000.
- H. Seo and S. Lee, "An analysis on kindergarten teachers' recognition and utilization of audio-visual education media," J of Korea Society for Early Childhood Teacher Education, Vol.6, No.2, pp.151-182, 2002.
- J. C. De Gagne and J. Oh, "Health promotion education in a virtual worlds: A concept analysis," J of Academy Society of Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.1, pp.81-93, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.081
- Radiation safety education and compliance with safety procedures-The Korea Nurses’ Health Study vol.27, pp.13-14, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14338