- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Second-level Supervisor's Ethical Leadership on Employee' Proactive Behavior(Taking Charge Behavior, Helping Behavior): The Mediating Effect of Immediate Supervisor's Transformational Leadership
차상위 리더의 윤리적 리더십이 구성원의 선제적 행동(주도적 행동·도움행동)에 미치는 영향: 팀장의 변혁적 리더십의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2016.06.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.18
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study attempt to test not only the impact of leadership(second-level supervisor's ethical leadership, immediate supervisor's transformational leadership) on followers' proactive behavior, but also the effect second-level supervisor's ethical leadership on leader's transformational leadership(i.e. TL). In particular, immediate supervisor's TL is explored as a mediating variable in the relationship between second-level supervisor's ethical leadership and followers' proactive behavior. The summary of the hierarchical regression analyses results was as follows: First, the paper showed that second-level supervisor's moral behavior was positively related to immediate supervisor's TL. But behavioral integrity and consistency across contexts was not found to play a unique role in predicting immediate supervisor's TL. Second, second-level supervisor's moral behavior was a positive impact on employee' taking charge behavior and helping behavior. and behavioral integrity was a positive impact on employee' taking charge behavior. But consistency across contexts was not found to play a unique role in predicting proactive behavior. Third, immediate supervisor's TL was a positive impact on employee' taking charge behavior and helping behavior. Finally, the effects of second-level supervisor's moral behavior on employee' proactive behavior were mediated by immediate supervisor's TL. Theoretical and practical implications of our findings as well as directions for future research are provided.
Second-level Superior's Ethical Leadership;Transformational Leadership;Taking Charge Behavior;Helping Behavior;Proactive Behavior
- 김남현, 리더십 이론과 실제, 경문사, 2014.
- J. M. Burns, Leadership, New York: Harper & Row, 1978.
- B. M. Bass, The ethics of transformational leadership. In J. Ciulla(Eds.), Ethics: The beart of leadership, Westport, CT: Praeger, pp.169-192, 1998.
- T. A. Wright and J. C. Quick, "The emerging positive agenda in organizations: Greater than a trickle, but not yet a deluge," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.30, pp.147-159, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.582
- T. H. Ng and D. C. Feldman, "Ethical leadership: Meta-analytic evidence of criterion-related and incremental validity," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.100, No.3, pp.948-965, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0038246
- M. E. Palnaski and F. J. Yamarino, "Integrity and Leadership: Clearing the Conceptual Confusion," European Management Journal, Vol.25, No.3, pp.171-184, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2007.04.006
- M. A. Griffin and J. E. Mathieu, "Modeling organizational processes across hierarchical levels: Climate, leadership, and group process in work groups," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.18, pp.731-744, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199711)18:6<731::AID-JOB814>3.0.CO;2-G
- 박오수, 고동운, "변화지향 리더십과 부하혁신행동의 관계: 차상위 리더의 지원행동 및 LLX의 조절효과," 인사.조직학회 추계학술연구발표회 발표논문집, pp.163-188, 2008.
- 박오수, 고동운, "차상위 리더의 리더에 대한 모욕 행위의 적하효과(trickle-down effect): 리더십을 매개하여 부하의 리더신뢰 및 LMX에 미치는 영향," 경영학연구, 제38권, 제4호, pp.1027-1058, 2009.
- D. M. Mayer, M. Kuenzi, R. Greenbaum, M. Bardes, and R. B. Salvador, "How low does ethical leadership flow? Test of a trickle-down model," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.108, No.1, pp.1-13, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2008.04.002
- A. L. Davis and H. R. Rothstein, "The effects of the perceived behavioral integrity of managers on employee attitudes: A meta-analysis," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.67, pp.407-419, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9034-4
- K. Rosing, M. Frese, and A. Bausch, "Explaining the heterogeneity of the leadership-innovative relationship: Ambidextrous leadership," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.22, pp.956-974, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.07.014
- M. E. Brown, L. K. Tevino, and D. A. Harrison, "Ethical leadership: A social learning perspective for construct development and test," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.97, pp.117-134, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2005.03.002
- T. Simon, "Behavioral integrity as a critical ingredient for transformational leadership," Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol.12, pp.189-104, 1999.
- R. H. Moorman, T. C. Darnold, and M. Priesemuth, "Perceived leader integrity: Supporting the construct validity and utility of a multi-dimensional measure in two samples," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.24, pp.427-444, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.02.003
- Z. X. Xu and H. K. Ma, "How can a deontological decision lead to moral behavior? The moderating role of moral identity," Journal of Business Ethics, In Press, 2015.
- 박재춘, "차상위 리더의 팀장에 대한 윤리적 리더십의 적하효과: 윤리적 리더십의 다차원적 접근을 중심으로," 인적자원관리연구, 제20권, 제2호, pp.339-357, 2015.
- N. M. Tichy and M. A. Devanna, Transformational Leader, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1986.
- 권혁기, "변혁적 리더십과 거래적 리더십이 조직성과에 미치는 영향 : 자기효능감과 직무만족의 매개효과를 중심으로," 경영과 정보연구, 제31권, 제2호, pp.1-20, 2012.
- B. M. Bass and B. J. Avolio, Transformational Leadership Development: Manual for the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire, Palo Alto C. A.: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1990.
- 김신호, 정지연, 정재진, 박재춘, "ICT기업에서 변혁적 리더십, 조직신뢰, 리더의 감성지능 및 창의성의 관계," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제10호, pp.400-412, 2015.
- A. Bandura, Social learning theories, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1977.
- A. Bandura, Social foundations of thought and action, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1986.
- F. Blau, Exchange and power in social life, New York: Wiley, 1964.
- T. Simon, R. Friedman, L. A. Liu, and J. McLean Parks, "Racial differences in sensitivity to behavioral integrity: Attitudinal consequences, in-group effects, and "trickle-down" among Black and non-Black employees," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.92, No.3, pp.650-665, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.3.650
- P. Ruiz, C. Ruiz, and R. Martinez, "Improving the "Leader-Follower" relationship: Top manager or supervisor? The ethical leadership trickle-down effect on follower job response," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.99, pp.587-608, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0670-3
- J. M. C. Verissimo and T. M. C. Lacerda, "Does integrity matter for CSR practice in organizations? The mediating role of transformational leadership," Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol.24, No.1, pp.34-51, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/beer.12065
- G. S. Leventhal, What should be done with equity theory?, Springer US, 1980.
- F. D. Belschak and D. N. Den Hartog, "Pro-self, pro-social, and pro-organizational foci of proactive behaviour: Differential antecedents and consequences," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol.86, pp.475-498, 2010.
- E. W. Morrison and C. C. Phelps, "Taking charge at work: Extrarole efforts to initiate workplace change," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.42, No.4, pp.403-419, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/257011
- J. M. Crant, "Proactive behavior in organizations," Journal of Management, Vol.26, pp.435-462, 2000.
- K. L. Unsworth and S. K. Parker, Proactivity and innovation: Modeling proactive work behavior 649 Promoting a new workforce for the new workplace. In D. Holman, T. D. Wall, C. W. Clegg, P. Sparrow, & A. Howard (Eds.), The new workplace: A guide to the human impact of modern working practices, Chichester, England: Wiley, pp.175-196, 2003.
- S. K. Parker, H. M. Williams, and N. Turner, "Modelling the antecedents of proactive behavior at work," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, pp.636-652, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.636
- 김정식, 박종근, 백승준, "리더-구성원 교환관계의 질이 구성원들의 주도적 행동과 발언행동에 미치는 영향: 심리적 안정감의 매개역항을 중심으로," 경영학연구, 제42권, 제3호, pp.613-643, 2013.
- L. Van Dyne and J. A. LePine, "Helping and voice extra-role behavior: Evidence of construct and predictive validity," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.41, No.1, pp.108-119, 1999.
- J. B. Avey, M. E. Palanski, and F. O. Walumbwa, "When leadership goes unnoticed: The moderating role of follower self-esteem on the relationship between ethical leadership and follower behavior," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.98, pp.573-582, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0610-2
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, and W. H. Bommer, "Transformational leader behaviors and substitutes for leadership as determinants of employee satisfaction, commitment, trust, and organizational citizenship behaviors," Journal of Management, Vol.22, No.2, pp.259-298, 1996.
- J. R. Detert and E. R. Burris, "Leadership behavior and employee voice: Is the door really open?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.50, No.4, pp.869-884, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.26279183
- 윤선영, 권석균, "발언과 침묵: 리더십의 영향과 조직효과성," 인사조직연구, 제23권, 제3호, pp.43-71, 2015.
- H. Levinson, "Reciprocation: The relationship between man and organization," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.9, pp.370-390, 1965. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391032
- B. M. Bass, D. A. Waldman, B. J. Avolio, and M. Webb, "Transformational leadership and the falling dominoes effect," Group and Organization Studies, Vol.12, pp.73-87, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960118701200106
- D. Zohar and G. Luria, "A multi-level model of safety climate: Cross-level relationships between organization and group-level outcomes," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.90, pp.616-628, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.4.616
- B. M. Bass and B. J. Avolio, The Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire Form 5-45. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologist Press, 1995.
- P. M. Podsakoff and D. W. Organ, "Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and prospects," Journal of Management, Vol.12, pp.531-544, 1986.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research," Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- R. Likert, The human organization: Its management and value, New York: McGraw Hill, 1967.
- 이기현, 신인용, 오홍석, "차상위 리더와의 관계가 팀 구성원의 성과에 미치는 영향," 인사조직연구, 제21권, 제2호, pp.145-180, 2013.