- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical and Cooking Characteristics of Non-waxy Soft Brown Rice
연질현미의 이화학적 및 취반 특성
- Park, Jihye (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- Shin, Malshick (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2016.06.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.19
- Published : 2016.10.31
Purpose: To improve the cooking quality of brown rice, newly inbred soft rice cultivars were investigated. Methods: The physicochemical properties of brown rice flour and water absorption patterns and cooking characteristics of brown rice grain were compared to Ilmi white and brown rice. Results: General composition and total dietary fiber contents of five rices were significantly different with higher ash, protein, and total dietary fiber contents in soft brown rice than white rice. The hardness of raw rice grain was higher in Ilmi brown rice than in soft brown rice. The water absorption increased rapidly in 30 min of white rice and in 4-6 h of brown rices. The apparent amylose content of soft brown rice was lower than that of Ilmi rice. The initial pasting temperature and all viscosities were significantly different, but the trend was not similar. The textural properties of hardness and roughness were higher, but adhesiveness, cohesiveness, and stickiness were lower in Ilmi brown rice than white and soft brown rices. In sensory preference test, not only textural properties, hardness, adhesiveness, cohesiveness, stickiness, and roughness, but also color, glossiness, and roasted flavor were higher in soft brown rices. Especially soft brown rice B showed the best cooking quality among all rices. Conclusion: The results of the study suggested that soft brown rice is developed for cooking with high nutritional and functional quality.
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA. Method 44-15.02(moisture), 46-13.01(protein), 08-01.01(ash), 30-10.01(crude fat).
- Bechtel DB, Pomeranz Y. 1978. Implication of the rice kernel structure in storage, marketing, and processing: A review. J Food Sci 43(5):1538-1542. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb02538.x
- Choi HC. 2002. Current status and perspectives in varietal improvement of rice cultivars for high-quality and value-added products. Korean J Crop Sci 47(3):15-32.
- Choe JS, Ahn HH, Nam HJ. 2002. Comparison of nutritional composition in Korean rices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31(5):885-892. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.885
- Han GJ, Park HJ, Lee HY, Park YH, Cho YS. 2008. Cooking techniques to improve the taste of cooked rice: Optimal cooking conditions for top rice cultivars. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24(2):188-197.
- Han SH, Choi EJ, Oh MS. 2000. A comparative study on cooking qualities of imported and domestic rices (Chucheong byeo). Korean J Soc Food Sci 16(1):91-97.
- Jang KA, Shin MG, Hong SH, Min BK, Kim KO. 1996. Classification of rices on the basis of sensory properties of cooked rices and physicochemical properties of rice starches. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28(1):44-52.
- Juliano BO. 1985. Physicochemical properties of rice in rice: Chemistry and technology. 2nd ed, AACC, St. Paul, MN, USA. pp 496-497.
- Juliano BO, Bechetel DB. 1985. The rice grain and its gross composition. pp 17-58. In: Rice: Chemistry and technology. Juliano BO (ed.). American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Kang EJ, Yoo YM, Cho EK, Choi EH, Jeon HR, Lee JK. 2013. Effects of infrared heating on cooking properties of brown rice. Food Eng Prog 17(1):19-23.
- Kim HY, Hwang IG, Kim TM, Woo KS, Park DS, Kim JY, Kim DJ, Lee J, Lee YR, Jeong HS. 2012. Chemical and functional components in different parts of rough rice (Oryza sativa L.) before and after germination. Food Chem 134(1):288-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.02.138
- Kim JY, Baek SH. 2012. Hydration and cooking properties of brown rice scratched with a knife. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44(6):722-727. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.722
- Kim KA, Jung LH, Jeon ER. 1995. Effect of cooking condition on the eating quality of cooked brown rice. Korean J Soc Food Sci 11(5):527-535.
- Kim SK, Shin MS. 1996. Effect of water/rice ratio on the characteristics of cooked rice during storage. Korean J Hum Ecol 5(1):81-88.
- Kim SK, Jeong SJ, Kim K, Chae JC, Lee JH. 1984. Tentative classification of milled rice by sorption kinetics. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 27(3):204-210.
- Kim SR, Ahn JY, Lee HY, Ha TY. 2004. Various properties and phenolic acid contents of rice bran and rice brans with different milling fractions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36(6):930-936.
- Kim MH. 1992. Effects of soaking conditions on the texture of cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 24(5):511-514.
- Kum JS, Lee CH, Baek KH, Lee SH, Lee HY. 1995. Influence of cultivar on rice starch and cooking properties. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27(3):365-369.
- Lee CH, Park SH. 1982. Studies on the texture describing terms of Korean. Korean J Food Sci Technol 14(1):21-29.
- Lee HJ, Byun SM, Kim HS. 1988. Studies on the dietary fiber of brown rice and milled rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20(4):576-584.
- Lii CY, Tsai ML, Tseng KH. 1996. Effect on amylose content on the rheological property of rice starch. Cereal Chem 73(4):415-420.
- Lim SB, Kang MS, Jwa MK, Song DJ, Oh YJ. 2003. Characteristics of cooked rice by adding grains and legumes. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32(1):52-57. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.052
- Medcalf DG, Gilles KA. 1965. Wheat starches. I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem 42(6):558-568.
- Moongngarm A, Saetung N. 2010. Comparison of chemical compositions and bioactive compounds of germinated rough rice and brown rice. Food Chem 122(3):782-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.03.053
- Naito S, Ogawa T. 1998. Tensipresser precision in measuring cooked rice adhesiveness. J Texture Stud 29(3):325-335. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1998.tb00174.x
- Okabe M. 1979. Texture measurement of cooked rice and its relationship to the eating quality. J Texture Stud 10(2):131-152. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1979.tb00241.x
- Park JW. Chae SH, Yoon S. 2009. The effects of steeping and cooking pressure on qualities of cooked brown rice. Korean J Food Cult 24(1):69-76.
- Park WH, Woo KJ. 1991. The hydration properties and the cooking qualities of various brown rices. Korean J Soc Food Sci 7(2):25-40.
- Parnsakhorn S, Langkapin J. 2013. Changes in physicochemical characteristics of germinated brown rice and brown rice during storage at various temperatures. Agric Eng Int: CIGR J 15(2):293-303.
- Sandhya RMR, Bhattachrya KR. 1995. Microscop of rice starch granules during cooking. Starch/Starke 47(9):334-337. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19950470903
- Schoch TJ. 1964. Swelling power and solubility of granular starches. pp 106-108. In: Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. Whistler RL (ed.). Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Sirisoontaralak P, Nakornpanom NN, Koakietdumrongkul K, Panumaswiwath C. 2015. Development of quick cooking germinated brown rice with convenient preparation and containing health benefits. LWT-Food Sci Technol 61(1):138-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.11.015
- Song BH, Kim DY, Kim SK. 1988. Comparison of hydration and cooking rates of brown and milled rices. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 31(2):211-216.
- Sowbhagya CM, Ramesh BS, Bhattacharya KR. 1987. The relationship between cooked-rice texture and the physicochemical characteristics of rice. J Cereal Sci 5(3):287-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0733-5210(87)80029-2
- Wi EI, Park JH, Shin MS. 2013. Comparison of physicochemical properties and cooking quality of Korean organic rice varieties. Korean J Food Cook Sci 29(6):785-794. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.6.785
- Williams PC, Kuzina FD, Hlynka I. 1970. Rapid colorimetric procedure for estimating the amylose content of starches and flours. Cereal Chem 47:411-420.
- Yu S, Ma Y, Sun DW. 2009. Impact of amylose content on starch retrogradation and texture of cooked milled rice during storage. J Cereal Sci 50(2):139-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2009.04.003
- Yu S, Ma Y, Sun DW. 2010. Effects of freezing rates on starch retrogradation and textural properties of cooked rice during storage. LWT-Food Sci Technol 43(7):1138-1143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.03.004
- Yun HR, Kim JM, Shin M. 2015. Quality and storage characteristics of gluten-free rice pound cakes with different ratios of germinated brown rice flour. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31(6):781-790. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.6.781
- Study on Cooking Properties of ‘Bodeurami’ Rice Cultivar vol.33, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.2.209