- Volume 32 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study on the Measurement of Liquid Limit Using a Penetration Resistance of Small Cone in Clay Soil
소형콘의 관입저항력을 이용한 점토의 액성한계측정에 관한 연구
- Son, Moorak (Dept. of Geotechnical Engrg., Daegu Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jaeyong (Dept. of Geotechnical Engrg., Daegu Univ.)
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.09.19
- Published : 2016.10.31
This study investigated both water content and penetration resistance of small cone of various clay soils that were made of Kaolinite and Bentonite with different mixing ratios and compared the results with those of the existing dynamic (Casagrande test) and static (fall cone test) tests directly. The comparison showed that the water content at the inflection point on a curve of water content and penetration resistance was very similar to the liquid limit from a fall cone test. The penetration resistance of small cone at the inflection point was 0.2 kPa, and it was ascertained that the water content at the inflection point represents a liquid limit of clay soils. From the study results, it was found that the penetration resistance of 0.2 kPa with the small cone can be an indicator of the liquid limit of clay soils in practice. Finally a test procedure to measure the liquid limit of clay soil based on a penetration resistance of small cone was proposed.
- Budhu, M. (1985), "The Effect of Clay Content on Liquid Limit from a Fall Cone and the British Cup Device", ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol.8, No.2, pp.91-95. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ10515J
- Choi, Y.G. (2001), "A Study on the Estimation of Clay Soil Parameters Using Fall Cone Test", Pusan university master's thesis.
- Federico, A. (1983), "Relationships (Cu-w) and (Cu-s) for Remolded Clayey Soils at High Water Content", Riv. Ital. Geological, Vol.14, No.1, pp.38-41.
- Houlsby, G. T. (1982), "Theoretical Analysis of the Fall Cone Test", Geotechnique, Vol.32, No.2, pp.111-118. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.206
- Jang, J.W., Park, C.S., and Chung, Y.I. (2005), "A Comparative Study on Liquid Limit Value by Liquid Limit Tests", Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol.17, No.2, pp.375-382.
- Koester, J.P. (1992), "The Influence of Test Procedure on Correlation of Atterberg Limit with Liquefaction in Fine Grained Soils", American Society for Testing and Materials, pp.352-361.
- Kang, S.J., Park, Y.M., and Hur, S.M., and Kim, J.S. (2000), "Experimental study on the Atterberg limit changes due to experiment condition", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2000, No.2, 2000. pp.451-454.
- Karlsson, R. (1961), "Suggested Improvements in the Liquid Limit Test with Reference to Flow Properties of Remoulded Clays", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Paris, France. pp.171-184.
- Kim, S.C., Choi, I.G., and Park, Y.M. (1996), "Engineering Properties of Samcheok Organics Soils", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.12, No.1, pp.21-33.
- Kim, S.C., Yu, N.J., and Lee, S.D. (2000), "Relation between the Liquid Limit by Casagrande's Method and Fall Cone Test", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.2000, No.2, pp.233-236.
- Korea Standard Association (2000), KS F 2303, Test method for liquid limit and plastic limit of soils.
- Lee, L.T. and Freeman, R. B. (2007), "An Alternative Test Method for Assessing Consistency Limits", ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol.30, No.4, pp.1-8.
- Leroueil, S. and Le Bihan, J. P. (1996), "Liquid Limits and Fall Cones", Canadian Geotechnical. Journal, Vol.33. pp.793-798. https://doi.org/10.1139/t96-104-324
- Moon, C. F. and White, K. B. (1985), "A Comparison of Liquid Limit Test Result", Geotechnique, Vol.35, No.1, pp.59-60. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.11
- Norman, L. E. J. (1958), "A Comparison of Values of Liquid Limit Determined with Apparatus Having bases of Different Hardness", Geotechnique, Vol.8, pp.79-83. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.168
- Park, S.S. and Nong, Z. (2013), "A Proposal of Flow Limit for Soils at Zero Undrained Shear Strength", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.29, No.11, pp.73-84. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2013.29.11.73
- Son, Y.H., Chang, P.W., and Won, J.Y., Kim, S.P. (2003), "Estimation of Liquid Limit by a Single-point Method of Fall Cone Test", Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers, Vol.17, No.2, pp.80-85.
- Sowers, G.F., Vesic, A., and Grandndolfi, M. (1959), "Penetration Test for Liquid Limit", ASTM, STP, No. 254, 216-226.
- Sharma, B. and Bora, P. K. (2003), "Plastic Limit, Liquid Limit and Undrainded Shear Strength of Soil - Reappraisal", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.129, No.8, pp.774-777. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:8(774)
- Sherwood, P.T. and Riley, M.D. (1970), "An Investigation of Cone-penetrometer Method for Liquid Limit", Geotechnique, Vol.20, pp.203-208. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.124
- Vasilev, A. M. (1949), "Basic Principles of the Methods and Techniques of Laboratory Determination of Physical Soil Properties", Moscow.
- Wood, D. M. (1985), "Some Fall-cone Tests", Geotechnique, Vol. 35, No.1, pp.64-68. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.199
- Development of Wearable Device for Field Condition Evaluation of Clay Surface Layer vol.18, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2018.18.6.243