- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Herbal Medicine in Animal Models for Treatment of Sciatic Nerve Impairment: A Review of Animal Study Reports
좌골신경 손상에 대한 한약물 치료효과에 대한 실험논문 분석 - 국내외 한의계 연구를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2016.09.07
- Accepted : 2016.10.11
- Published : 2016.10.31
Objectives This study is to review the effect of herbal medicine on treatment of sciatic nerve injury induced animal models reported in domestic & foreign journals. Methods 5 electronic databases (Pubmed, CAJ, RISS, Oasis, Koreantk) were searched with term as sciatic nerve injury, and animal study reports on sciatic nerve impairment with herbal medicine treatment were extracted. Results 31 articles were reviewd. All studies used SD rat. 26 studies used crush injury at the sciatic nerve using haemostatic forcep and 5 studies used sciatic nerve transection. 15 studies used single herb extract and 16 studies used complex herb medicine. Angelica gigantis radix was the most frequently used herb. Each study showed significant changes of improvement indicators from sciatic nerve impairment. Conclusions Various herb medicine are expected to have positive effects on sciatic nerve impairment.
Sciatic nerve impairment;Herb medicine;Animal model;Review
- Fawcett JW, Keynes RJ. Peripheral nerve regeneration. Anne Rev Neurosci. 1990;13:42-60.
- Dyck PJ. The cases. Clasification and treatment of peripheral neuropathy. N Engl J Med. 1982;307:283-6. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198207293070504
- Schwab ME, Bartholdi D. Degeneration and regeneration of axons in the lesioned spinal cord. Physiol Rev. 1996;76(2):319-70. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19188.8.131.529
- Bhatheja K, Field J. Schwann cell: Origins and role in axonal maintenance and regeneration. Mol Neurobiol. 1997;14(1-2):67-116. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02740621
- Chen YS, Wu CH, Yao CH, Chen CT. Ginsenoside Rb-1 enhance peripheral nerve regeneration across wide gaps in silicone rubber chambers. Int J Artif Organs. 2002;25(11):1103-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/039139880202501110
- Havton LA, Hotson JR, Kellerth JO. Theory of muscle energy technique. Muscle nerve. 2008;24(5):662-6.
- 전국한의과대학심계내과학교실. 심계내과학. 서울. 군자출판사. 2006:343-9.
- Ide C. Peripheral nerve regeneration. Neurosci, Res. 1996;25:101-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-0102(96)01042-5
- Seddon HJ. Three types of nerve injury, Brain. 1943:288.
- Jeong HY, Kim CJ, Cho CS. Effects of YideungJetong-Tang on Peripheral Neuropathy Induced by Taxol and Compression Injury in the Rat Sciatic Nerve. J Korean Oriental Med. 2012;33(3):133-146.
- Youn SS, Kim CJ, Cho CS. Effects on Response of Nervous Tissue to Samuljetong-tang after Damaged by Taxol Treatment or Sciatic Nerve Injury. J Korean Oriental Med. 2012:33(2):126-144.
- Jang SW, Kim YS. Effect of Puerariae Radix on Hind Limb Muscle Atrophy of Sciatic Nerve Transectioned Rats. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2009;23(2):405-411.
- Kim JH, Seol IC, Ryu HR, Jo HK, An JJ, Namgung U, Kim YS. Facilitated Axonal Regeneration of Injured Sciatic Nerves by Yukmijihwang-tang Treatment. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2008;22(4):896-902.
- Lim CB, Oh MS. The Study on Regenerative Effects of Ginseng on Injured Axonal and Non-Neuronal cell. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2008;29(5):14-28.
- Kim JM, Cho CS, Kim CJ. Therapeutic Effect of Bogijetongtanggammi-bang on Peripheral Nerve Injury. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 2012;33(1):83-101.
- Hong SS, Oh MS. Improved Axonal Regeneration Responses in the Injured Sciatic Nerve of Rats by Danggui Treatment. J Korean Oriental Med. 2008;29(2):133-50.
- Lim SM, Ahn JJ, Jo HK, Yoo HR, Kim YS, Seol IC. Effect of Gyehyuldeung Treatments in Peripheral Nerve Regeneration of Rat. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 2009:30(2):375-387.
- Jo HK, Namgung U, Seol IC, Kim YS. Growth Promoting Effects of Oriental Medicinal Drugs on Sciatic Nerve Regeneration in the Rat. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2005;19(6):1666-72.
- Cho TY, Song YK, Lim HH. The Effects of Aqueous Extracts of Aconiti ciliare tuber on Functional Recovery after Sciatic Crushed Nerve Injury in Rats. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2009;30(3):39-50.
- Cho HC, Song YK, Lim HH. Effects of Gentianae Macrophyllae Radix on the functional recovery and expression of BDNF and c-Fos after sciatic crushed nerve injury in rats. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2009;30(3):28-38.
- Cho JH, Kim KS, Cha JD, Lee HS, Choi H, Jung HS, Sohn NW, Sohn YJ. Effect of Eucommiae Cortex on Hind Limb Muscle Atrophy of Sciatic Nerve Transectioned Rats. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2008;22(6):1454-61.
- Baek KM, Kim YS, Ryu HR, Jo HK, An JJ, Namgung U, Seol IC. Sengmaek-san-mediated Enhancement of Axonal Regeneration after Sciatic Nerve Injury in the Rat. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2007;22(2):431-7.
- Kang JH, Oh MS. Effects of Bupleuri radix Extract on Axon Regrowth in the Injured Sciatic Nerve of Rats. J Korean Oriental Med. 2010;31(1):93-111.
- Han HJ, Lee HJ, Kang CH, Lee SH, Cho IH, Lee JH, Nah SY et al. Effect of Red Ginseng Total Saponin on Sciatic Nerve Regeneration. J. Ginseng Res. 2003;27(3):103-9. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2003.27.3.103
- Jang G, Song YK, Lim HH. Effect of Aqueous Extract of Sukjiyanggeun-Tang on Functional Recovery and Expressions of Inflammatory Mediators after Sciatic Nerve Crushed Injury in Rat. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2013;23(2):33-48.
- Eun YJ, Song YK, Lim HH. Effects of Haein-tang (Hairen-tang) Extract on Functional Recovery in Sciatic Nerve and c-Fos Expression in the Brain after Crushed Sciatic Nerve Injury in Rats. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2011;21(2):125-42.
- Lee MS, Song YK, Lim HH. Effects of Aqueous Extract of Achyranthes Japonica on Functional Recovery in Sciatic Nerve after Crushed ciatic Nerve Injury in Rats. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2011;21(2):143-58.
- Lee SG, Won JK, Yeom SR, Lee SK, Song YS, Kwon YD. The Effects of Dokhwalgisaeng-tang (Duhuoqisheng-tang) and Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture on Pain Control and Nerve Regeneration in the Crush-induced Sciatic Nerve Injury of the Rat Model. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2009;19(3):15-32.
- Jung MJ, Lee JH, Yeom SR, Lee SK, Song YS, Kim KB et al. Effects of Ohyaksungi-san(Wuyaoshungi-san) and Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture on Pain Reduction and Nerve Regeneration after Crush Injury in Rat Sciatic Nerve. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2009;19(2):51-72.
- Song JS, Na C, Shin BC, Lee SK, Kwon YD, Song YS. Effects of Dokwal-tang(Duhuo-tang) and Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture on Pain Control and Nerve Regeneration after Crush Injury in Rat Sciatic Nerve. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2008;18(2):61-79.
- Yang MS, Shin MS, An HL. The Effects of Ohyaksungisan(Wuyaoshunqi-san) and Electrical Acupuncture on Nerve Regeneration after Crush Injury in Rat Sciatic Nerve. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2008;18(4):25-37.
- Kim YW, Song YK, Lim HH. Effect of Amygdalin on the Functional Recovery and c-Fos Expression in the Ventrolateral Periaqueductal Gray Region after Crushed Sciatic Nerve Injury in Rats. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2006;16(4):37-47.
- Chang BJ, Cho IH, Choi HY, Won HY, Park CH, Bae CS, Choi NH. Effects of Deer Antler on the Regeneration of Peripheral Nerves; About Sprout Formation of Experimentally Transected Sciatic Nerves in Rat. Korean J. Electron Microscopy. 2002;32(1):67-80.
- Park SW, Kim CJ, Cho CS. Effects of Nerve Regeneration by Bogijetong-tang Treatment on Peripheral Nerves Damaged by Taxol and Crush Injury. Korean J. Orient. Int. Med. 2013;34(4):384-404.
- Wang YX, Shen WS, Yang LY, Zhao HL, Gu W, Yuan Y. The Protective Effects of Achyranthes bidentata Polypeptideson Rat Sciatic Nerve Crush Injury Causes Modulation of Neurotrophic Factors. Neurochem Res. 2013;38:538-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11064-012-0946-3
- Fan HW, Deng CR, Fu J, Ding L, Yin G, Ma YL. Effects of Lycium Barbarum Polysaccharide on Formation of Traumatic Neuroma and Pain After Transection of Sciatic Nerve in Rats. Chinese Journal of Reparative and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010;24(11):1298-1301.
- Shu H, Arita H, Hayashida M,, Zhang L, An K, Huang W, Hanaoka K. Anti-hypersensitivity effects of Shu-jinghuo-xue-tang, a Chinese herbal medicine, in CCI-neuropathic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2010;131(2):2464-70.
- Yang Q, Zhang YS. Effects of Qichu Fujin Recipe on regeneration and repair of Injured sciatic nerve in rats. Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine. 2009;7(9):848-54. https://doi.org/10.3736/jcim20090910
- Chen B, Niu SP, Wang ZY, Wang ZW, Deng JX, Zhang PX et al. Local administration of icariin contributes to peripheral nerve regeneration and functional recovery. Neural Regeneration Research. 2015;10(1):84-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/1673-5374.150711
- Ma M, Zhang GJ, Ma Y, Li DH, Zhai HN. Effect of salviae miltiorrhizae and ligustrazine hydrochloride injection on axonal regeneration and nerve growth factor expression in a rat model of sciatic nerve injury. Neural Regeneration Research. 2009;4(12):1002-6.
- Chen LE, Seaber AV, Wong GH, Urbaniak JR. Tumor necrosis factor promote motorfunctional recovery in crushed peripheral nerve. Neurochemistry International. 1996;29(2):197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-0186(95)00121-2
- 대한침구학회 교재편찬위원회. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion 下. 서울. 집문당. 2008:176-8.
- Finol HJ, Lewis DM, Owens R. The effects of denervation on contractile properties or rat skeletal muscle. J Physiol. 1981;319:81-92. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1981.sp013893
- Goldspin,k DF. The effects of denervation on protein turnover of rat skeletal muscle. Biochem J. 1976;156:71-80. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1560071
- Jakubiec-Puka A, Kordowska J, Catani C, Carraro U. Myosin heavy chain isoform composition in striated muscle after denervation and self-reinnervation. Eur J Biochem. 1990;193:623-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1990.tb19379.x
- Lu DX, Huang SK, Carlson BM. Electron microscopic study of long-term denervated rat skeletal muscle. Anat Rec. 1997;248:355-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0185(199707)248:3<355::AID-AR8>3.0.CO;2-O
- Kim JM, Choi SM, Ahn HD. Effects of the Pharmacopuncture in Animal Models for Treatment of Osteoporosis: A Review of Animal Study Reports Published in Korea. J of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2016;26(2):75-83. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.2.75
- Hafidi A, Roman R. First appearance of type II neurons during ontogenesis in the spiral ganglion of the rat. An immunocytochemical study. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1989;48(1):143-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-3806(89)90098-9
- Doree M, Hunt T. From Cdc2 to Cdk1: when did the cell cycle kinase join its cyclin partner. J Cell Sci. 2002;115(12):2461-4.
- Porter LA, Donoghue DJ. Cyclin B1 and CDK1: nuclear localization and upstream regulators. Prog Cell Cycle Res. 2003;5:335-47.
- Han IS, Seo TB, Kim KH, Yoon JH, Yoon SJ, Namgung U. Cdc2-mediated Schwann cell migration during peripheral nerve regeneration. J Cell Sci. 2007;120(pt2):246-55. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.03322
- Yamaguchi T, Goto H, Yokoyama T, Sillje H, Hanisch A, Uldschmid A, et al. Phosphorylation by Cdk1 induces Plk1-mediated vimentin phosphorylation during mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:431-6. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200504091
- Manes T, Zheng DQ, Tognin S, Woodard AS, Marchisio PC, Languino LR. Alpha(v)beta3 integrin expression up-regulates cdc2, which modulates cell migration. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:817-26. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200212172
- Ubersax JA, Woodbury EL, Quang PN, Paraz M, Blethrow JD, Shah K, et al. Targets of the cyclin-dependent kinase Cdk1. Nature. 2003;425:859-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02062
- Benjamin Lewin. Cells. Massachusetts: Jones & Bartlett Learning. 2007:671.
- Simon CR, de Almeida JC. Programmed cell death in Bradysia hygida salivary glands presents apoptotic features. Genesis. 2004;40:22-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/gene.20059
- Cavanaugh JE, Ham J, Hetman M, Poser S, Yan C, Xia Z. Differential regulation of mitogen activeated protein kinases ERK1/2 and ERK5 by neutrophins, neuronal activity, and cAMP in neurons. J Neurosci. 2001;15:21(2):434-43. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.21-02-00434.2001
- Bomze HM, Bulsara KR, Iskandar BJ, Caroni P, Skene JH. Spinal axon regeneration evoked by replacing two growth cone proteins in adult neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2001;4(1):38-43. https://doi.org/10.1038/82881
- Narita M, Ozaki S, Ise Y, Yajima Y, Suzuki T. Change in the expression of c-Fos in the rat brain following scitic nerve ligation. Neurosci Lett. 2003;352:231-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2003.08.052
- Heumann R, Korsching S, Bandtlow C, Thoenen H. Changes of nerve growth factor synthesis in nonneuronal cells in response to sciatic nerve transection. J Cell Biol. 1987;104:1623-31. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.104.6.1623
- Nicholso DW. Mechanisms of apoptosis control. Nature. 2000;407:810-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/35037747