- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Correlation Analysis between Heart Rate Variability and Effect of Acupuncture on Obese Women
자율신경 활성도와 비만 여성 침치료 효과의 상관성 연구
- Kim, Je-In ;
- Yang, Yo-Chan ;
- Kim, Koh-Woon ;
- Cho, Jae-Heung ;
- Kim, Song-Yi ;
- Park, Hi-Joon ;
- Song, Mi-Yeon
- Received : 2016.09.19
- Accepted : 2016.10.04
- Published : 2016.10.31
Objectives The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between the effects of acupuncture treatment and heart rate variability (HRV) in pre-menopausal obese women. Methods Thirty-seven obese women who met the inclusion criteria were recruited. To estimate the effects of acupuncture, obesity indices, such as body weight (BW), waist circumference (WC), hip circumference (HC), and the waist-hip ratio (WHR), were measured before and after the treatment. The HRV test was conducted before treatment and analyzed using the frequency domain method. Results The lnLF/HF ratio (natural logarithm of low frequency power/high frequency power ratio of the HRV value) before treatments was negatively correlated with differences in WC, HC, and WHR during treatment. The correlation coefficients between the lnLF/HF ratio and the differences in WC, HC, and WHR were r=-0.459 (p<0.01), r=-0.327 (p<0.05), and r=-0.339 (p<0.05) respectively. Conclusions As the baseline ratio of sympathetic activity to parasympathetic activity decreases, WC, HC, and WHR reduction significantly increased during treatment. Further study is needed to uncover the relationship between obesity-related variables and the autonomic nervous system to predict the effect of acupuncture.
Obesity;Autonomic nervous system;Heart rate variability;Acupuncture;Correlation analysis
- G.W. Lambert, Nora E. Straznicks, Elisabeth A. Lambert, John B. Dixon, Markus P. Schlaich. Sympathetic nervous activation in obesity and the metabolic syndrome-Causes, consequences and therapeutic implications. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2010;126:159-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2010.02.002
- Bray, G.A. Obesity, a disorder of nutrient partitioning: the MONA LISA hypothesis. J Nutr. 1991;121:1146-62. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.8.1146
- JA Kim, YG Park, KH Cho, MH Hong, HCl Han, YS Choi, DK Yoon. Heart Rate Variability and Obesity Indices: Emphasis on the Response to Noise and Standing. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2005;18(2):97-103. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.18.2.97
- Oliver J. Rider, Jane M. Francis, Mohammed K. Ali, Cameron Holloway, Tammy Pegg, Matthew D. Robson, Damian Tyler, James Byrne, Kieran Clarke, Stefan Neubauer. Effects of Catecholamine Stress on Diastolic Function and Myocardial Energetics in Obesity Clinical Perspective. Circulation. 2012;125(12):1511-9. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.069518
- T. Matsumoto, C. Miyawaki, H. Ue, T. Kanda, Y. Yoshitake, T. Moritani. Comparison of thermogenic sympathetic response to food intake between obese and non-obese young women. Obes Res. 2001;9:78-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2001.10
- Gau-Yang Chena, Tun-Jen Hsiaoc, Huey-Ming Lod, Cheng-Deng Kuof. Abdominal obesity is associated with autonomic nervous derangement in healthy Asian obese subjects. Clinical Nutrition. 2008;27(2):212-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2007.11.004
- M. Monda, G. Messina, C. Vicidomini, A. Viggiano, C. Mangoni, B. De Luca. Activity of autonomic nervous system is related to body weight in pre-menopausal, but not in post-menopausal women. Nutr Neurosci. 2006;9:141-5. https://doi.org/10.1080/10284150600903552
- Nagai N, Moritani T. Effect of physical activity on autonomic nervous system function in lean and obese children. Obes Res. 2003;11(1):25-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.6
- SG Kang, SW Song, JH Shin, YC Kim, SH Lee, YM Ko. The influence of obesity on cardiac autonomic nervous control in premenopausal women. Korean J Health Promot Dis Prev. 2003;3(4):311-8.
- DF Kim, DH Keum. The Influence of Obesity on Autonomic Nervous System Activity in Premenopausal Women. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2006;16(1):11-22.
- YM Lee, HS Park, BC Cheon, HS Kim. Reliability of Measurements of Waist Circumference at 3 Different Site. Korean Journal of Obesity. 2002;11(1):103-4.
- SM Yoo, YS Cheong, EW Park. Availability of waist circumference as a anthropometric index of abdominal obesity. Journal of Korean Academy of Family Medicine. 2001;22(2):212-30.
- Taylor RW, Kell O, Gold EJ. Body mass index, waist girth, and waist-to-hip ratio as indexes of total and regional adiposity in women evaluation using receiver operating characteristic curves. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;67(1):44-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/67.1.44
- JM Woo. The Concept and Clinical Application for the Measurement of Heart Rate Variability. Korean J Psychosomatic Medicine. 2004;12(1):3-14.
- Task force of the European society of cardiology and the North American society of pacing and electrophysiology. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Circulation. 1996;93:1043-65. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.93.5.1043
- Paul Poirier, Teri L. Hernandez, Kathleen M. Weil, J. Shepard, Robert H. Eckel. Impact of diet-induced weight loss on the cardiac autonomic nervous system in severe obesity. Obesity. 2003;11(9):1040-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.143
- S. Snitker, I. Macdonald, E. Ravussin, A. Astrup. The sympathetic nervous system and obesity: role in aetiology and treatment. Obesity reviews. 2000;1:5-15. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789x.2000.00001.x
- HJ Kim, YS Kim, EM Lim. A study on relations between the index of obesity by body composition analysis and results of other oriental health examinations on some women. Journal of oriental obstetrics & gynecology. 2008;21(4):169-82.
- AR Han, MY Song, HD Shin. Relationship of heart rate variability with body mass index and waist circumference in premenopausal women. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2007;17(1):145-58.
- JY Kim, YC Yang, WS Yi, JI Kim, TH Maeng, DJ Yoo, Jw Shim, WY Cho, MY Song, JS Lee. Predicting the Concentration of Obesity-related Metabolites via Heart Rate Variability for Korean Premenopausal Obese Women: Multiple Regression Analysis. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(4):155-62.
- HJ Lee. The relation of heart rate variability and body weight change in conducting community-based obesity control program. The graduate school of public health Ajou University. 2009;12:1-63.
- NS Joo, SB Park, GM Kim, SM Kim, DJ Lee, BT Kim. Changes in Heart Rate Variability after Weight Reduction in the Obese. Journal of Korean academy of family medicine. 2005;26(11):693-8.
- Ito H, Ohshima A, Tsuzuki M, Ohto N, Yanagawa M, Maruyama T, Kaji Y, Kanaya S, Nishioka K. Effects of increased physical activity and mild calorie restriction on heart rate variability in obese women. Jpn Heart J. 2001;42(4):459-69. https://doi.org/10.1536/jhj.42.459
- JA Kim, YG Park, KH Cho, MH Hong, HC Han, YS Choi, D Yoon. Heart rate variability and obesity indices: emphasis on the response to noise and standing. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2005;18(2):97-103. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.18.2.97
- Karason K, Molgaard H, Wikstrand J, Sjostrom L. Heart rate variability in obesity and the effect of weight loss. Am J Cardiol. 1999;83(8):1242-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(99)00066-1
- Astrup A, Buemann B, Gluud C, Bennett P, Tjur T, Christensen NJ. Prognostic markers for diet-induced weight loss in obese women. Int J Obes. 1995;19:275-8.
- Kempen KPG. Predictors of fat loss during very-low calorie diet in obese females. Ph.D. thesis, University of Maastricht. 1996.
Hellstrom L, Rossner S, Hagstrom-Troft E, Reynisdottir S. Lipolytic catecholamine resistance linked to
$alpha_2$-adrenoceptor sensitivity - a metabolic predictor of weight loss in obese subjects. Int J Obes. 1995;21:314-20.
- Peter Arner. Catecholamine-induced lipolysis in obesity. Int J of Obesity and Related Disorders. 1999;23:10-3.
- Flechner-Mors, Marion. Sympathetic modulation of lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue : Effects of gender and energy restriction. Journal of Lab Clin Med. 1999;134(1):33-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2143(99)90051-3
- Pedini G., Zaietta P. On some aspects of activation of tissue lipolysis by electric factors. Minerva Medica. 1975;66:324-9.