- Volume 29 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Starvation on Lipid Metabolism and Gluconeogenesis in Yak
- Yu, Xiaoqiang (Animal Nutrition Institute, Key Laboratory of Low Carbon Culture and Safety Production in Cattle in Sichuan, Sichuan Agricultural University) ;
- Peng, Quanhui (Animal Nutrition Institute, Key Laboratory of Low Carbon Culture and Safety Production in Cattle in Sichuan, Sichuan Agricultural University) ;
- Luo, Xiaolin (Grassland Science Academy of Sichuan Province) ;
- An, Tianwu (Grassland Science Academy of Sichuan Province) ;
- Guan, Jiuqiang (Grassland Science Academy of Sichuan Province) ;
- Wang, Zhisheng (Animal Nutrition Institute, Key Laboratory of Low Carbon Culture and Safety Production in Cattle in Sichuan, Sichuan Agricultural University)
- Received : 2015.10.22
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.11.01
This research was conducted to investigate the physiological consequences of undernourished yak. Twelve Maiwa yak (
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Bertile, F. and T. Raclot. 2011. ATGL and HSL are not coordinately regulated in response to fuel partitioning in fasted rats. J. Nutr. Biochem. 22:372-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2010.03.005
- Chaiyabutr, N., A. Faulkner, and M. Peaker. 1980. Effects of starvation on the cardiovascular system, water balance and milk secretion in lactating goats. Res. Vet. Sci. 28:291-295.
- Chwalibog, A., A. H. Tauson, and G. Thorbek. 2004. Diurnal rhythm in heat production and oxidation of carbohydrate and fat in pigs during feeding, starvation and re-feeding. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 88:266-274. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2004.00482.x
- DiMarco, N. M., D. C. Beitz, and G. B. Whitehurst. 1981. Effect of fasting on free fatty acid, glycerol and cholesterol concentrations in blood plasma and lipoprotein lipase activity in adipose tissue of cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 52:75-82. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.52175x
- Dorak, M. T. 2006. Real-Time PCR, 1st edn, Taylor& Francis Group, New York, USA.
- Garber, A. J., P. H. Menzel, G. Boden, and O. E. Owen. 1974. Hepatic ketogenesis and gluconeogenesis in humans. J. Clin. Invest. 54:981-989. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI107839
- Greenfield, R. B., M. J. Cecava, and S. S. Donkin. 2000. Changes in mRNA expression for gluconeogenic enzymes in liver of dairy cattle during the transition to lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 83:1228-1236. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74989-7
- Guo, X. S., Y. Zhang, J. W. Zhou, R. J. Long, G. S. Xin, B. Qi, L. M. Ding, and H. C. Wang. 2012. Nitrogen metabolism and recycling in yaks (Bos grunniens) offered a forage-concentrate diet differing in N concentration. Anim. Prod. Sci. 52:287-296. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN11208
- Iwersen, M., U. Falkenberg, R. Voigtsberger, D. Forderung, and W. Heuwieser. 2009. Evaluation of an electronic cowside test to detect subclinical ketosis in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 92:2618-2624. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1795
- Kirton, A. H., D. J. Paterson, and D. M. Duganzich. 1972. Effect of pre-slaughter starvation in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 34:555-559. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.344555x
- Li, P., C. C. Wu, M. Long, Y. Zhang, X. B. Li, J. B. He, Z. Wang, and G. W. Liu. 2013. Short communication: High insulin concentrations inhibit fatty acid oxidation-related gene expression in calf hepatocytes cultured in vitro. J. Dairy Sci. 96:3840-3844. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-6160
- Loor, J. J., H. M. Dann, R. E. Everts, R. Oliveira, C. A. Green, N. A. J. Guretzky, S. L. Rodriguez-Zas, H. A. Lewin, and J. K. Drackley. 2005. Temporal gene expression profiling of liver from periparturient dairy cows reveals complex adaptive mechanisms in hepatic function. Physiol. Genomics 23:217-226. https://doi.org/10.1152/physiolgenomics.00132.2005
- McArt, J. A. A., D. V. Nydam, P. A. Ospina, and G. R. Oetzel. 2011. A field trial on the effect of propylene glycol on milk yield and resolution of ketosis in fresh cows diagnosed with subclinical ketosis. J. Dairy Sci. 94:6011-6020. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4463
- McCue, M. D. 2010. Starvation physiology: Reviewing the different strategies animals use to survive a common challenge. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 156:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2010.01.002
- Meynial-Denis, D., A. Miri, G. Bielicki, M. Mignon, J. P. Renou, and J. Grizard. 2005. Insulin-dependent glycogen synthesis is delayed in onset in the skeletal muscle of food-deprived aged rats. J. Nutr. Biochem. 16:150-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.12.001
- McGarry, J. and D. Foster. 1980. Regulation of hepatic fatty acid oxidation and ketone body production. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 49:395-420. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.49.070180.002143
- Ndibualonji, B. B., D. Dehareng, and J. M. Godeau. 1997. Effects of starvation on plasma amino acids, urea and glucose in dairy cows. Ann. Zootech. 42:163-174.
- Owen, O. E., S. Caprio, G. A. Reichard, M. A. Mozzoli, G. Boden, and R. S. Owen. 1983. 6 ketosis of starvation: A revisit and new perspectives. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 12:359-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-595X(83)80046-2
- Piccione, G., G. Caola, and R. Refinetti. 2002. Circadian modulation of starvation-induced hypothermia in sheep and goats. Chronobiol. Int. 19:531-541. https://doi.org/10.1081/CBI-120004225
- Pothoven, M. A. and A. C. Beitz. 1975. Changes in fatty acid synthesis and lipogenic enzymes in adipose tissue from fasted and fasted-refed steers. J. Nutr. 105:1055-1061. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/105.8.1055
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System) Institute. 1999. User's Guide: Statistics. 8th edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sasse, D. 1975. Dynamics of liver glycogen. Histochemistry 45:237-254. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00507698
- Samra, J. S., M. L. Clark, S. M. Humphreys, I. A. Macdonald, and K. N. Frayn. 1996. Regulation of lipid metabolism in adipose tissue during early starvation. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 271:E541-E546. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.1996.271.3.E541
- Saxton, A. M. 1998. A macro for converting mean separation output to letter groupings in proc mixed. In: Proceedings of the 23rd SAS Users Group International. SAS Institute, Cary, NC. pp. 1243-1246.
- Smith, S. B., K. C. Lin, J. J. Wilson, D. K. Lunt, and H. R. Cross. 1998. Starvation depresses acylglycerol biosynthesis in bovine subcutaneous but not intramuscular adipose tissue homogenates. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part B Biochem. Mol. Biol. 120:165-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(98)10005-6
- Sponarova, J., K. J. Mustard, O. Horakova, P. Flachs, M. Rossmeisl, P. Brauner, K. Bardova, M. Thomason-Hughes, R. Braunerova, and P. Janovska et al. 2005. Involvement of AMPactivated protein kinase in fat depot-specific metabolic changes during starvation. FEBS. Lett. 579:6105-6110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2005.09.078
- Stralfors, P., H. Olsson, and P. Belfrage. 1987. Hormone-sensitive lipase. Enzymes18:147-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1874-6047(08)60257-7
- Sugden, M. C., S. C. Sharples, and P. J. Randle. 1976. Carcass glycogen as a potential source of glucose during short-term starvation. Biochem. J. 160: 817-819. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1600817
- Tveit, B. and T. Almlid. 1980. T4 degradation rate and plasma levels of TSH and thyroid hormones in ten young bulls during feeding conditions and 48 h of starvation. Acta Endocrinol. 93:435-439.
- Unger, R. H., A. M. Eisentraut, and L. L. Madison. 1963. The effects of total starvation upon the levels of circulating glucagon and insulin in man. J. Clin. Invest. 42:1031-1039. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI104788
- Velez, J. C. and S. S. Donkin. 2005. Feed restriction induces pyruvate carboxylase but not phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2938-2948. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72974-X
Wang, H., R. Long, W. Zhou, X. Li, J. Zhou, and X. Guo. 2009. A comparative study on urinary purine derivative excretion of yak (Bos grunniens), cattle (Bos taurus), and crossbred (Bos taurus
$\times$Bos grunniens) in the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau, China. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2355-2362. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1544
- Xue, B., X. Q. Zhao, and Y. S. Zhang. 2005. Seasonal changes in weight and body composition of yak grazing on alpine-meadow grassland in the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau of China. J. Anim. Sci. 83:1908-1913. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8381908x
- Zammit, V. A. 1990. Ketogenesis in the liver of ruminantsadaptations to a challenge. J. Agric. Sci. 115:155-162. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600075080
- Zhang, H. B., Z. S. Wang, Q. H. Peng, C. Tan, and H. W. Zou. 2014. Effects of different levels of protein supplementary diet on gene expressions related to intramuscular deposition in early-weaned yaks. Anim. Sci. J. 85:411-419. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12161