- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Factors Influencing on the Salesperson's Resistance to SFA
영업사원의 SFA(영업자동화시스템)에 대한 저항에 영향을 미치는 요인들에 대한 연구
- Received : 2016.05.03
- Accepted : 2016.08.16
- Published : 2016.09.30
Sales Force Automation (SFA) is a strategic information system and one of the components of operational CRM system. SFA supports salespeople's activities such as selection of potential customers, creative value proposition, after-sales services, etc. SFA is increasingly used in many companies because it has the advantages to raise the salespeople's productivity by developing forecasting ability, value proposition ability, after sales service ability etc. Many researches have shown that implementation of SFA leads to the increase of salepeople performance, organizational performance, and quality of customer relationship. However, Some prior studies have discussed on the SFA implementation failure and pointed out that one of important causes of this failure is salespeople's resistance to SFA. Although many researches explain SFA acceptance phenomenon using Technology Acceptance Model (TAM) and Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB), these researches didn't deeply investigate the salespeople's resistance to SFA. Therefore, this study focuses on the factors influencing salespeople's resistance to SFA and the relationships among these factors. This study identified three factors (salespeople's perceived loss of power, perceived loss of autonomy, and perceived time and effort waste) influencing salespeople's resistance to SFA. The hypotheses testing results showed that salespeople's perceived loss of power and perceived time and effort waste significantly increased salespeople's resistance to SFA. And salespeople's perceived loss of power plays a mediating role between perceived loss of autonomy/perceived time and effort waste and salespeople's resistance to SFA. At the end of the paper, theoretical and managerial implications of this study and the limitations and future research directions are discussed.
- Barker, R.M., S.F. Gohmann, J. Guan, and D.J. Faulds, "Why is My Sales Force Automation System Failing?", Business Horizons, Vol.52, No.3, 2009, 233-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.01.001
- Brehm, S.S. and J.W. Brehm, Psychological Reactance : A Theory of Freedom and Control, Academic Press, 2013.
- Buehrer, R.E., S. Senecal, and E.B. Pullins, "Sales Force Technology Usage-Reasons, Barriers, and Support : An Exploratory Investigation", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.34, No.4, 2005, 389-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.09.017
- Buttle, F., L. Ang, and R. Iriana, "Sales Force Automation : Review, Critique, Research Agenda", International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol.8, No.4, 2006, 213-231. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2006.00128.x
- Buttle, F., Customer Relationship Management : Concepts and Technologies, Routledge, 2009.
- Cascio, R., B.J. Mariadoss, and N. Mouri, "The Impact of Management Commitment Alignment on Salespersons' Adoption of Sales Force Automation Technologies : An Empirical Investigation", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.39, No.7, 2010, 1088-1096. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2009.12.010
- Churchill Jr, G.A., "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.16, No.1, 1979, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150876
- Clemons, E.K., M.E. Thatcher, and M.C. Row, "Identifying Sources of Reengineering Failures : A Study of The Behavioral Factors Contributing to Reengineering Risks", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.2, No.2, 1995, 9-36.
- Cho, S.D. and J. Koh, "Salesperson's Innovation Resistance toward Sales Force Automation Technologies : Technology Acceptance Model and Salesperson's Psychological States", Asia Marketing Journal, Vol.9, No.4, 2008, 145-177. (조성도, 고 준, "판매원의 판매자동화 도구에 대한 혁신저항 : 기술수용모형 및 판매원 심리 관점", 한국마케팅학회, 제9권, 제4호, 2008, 145-177.)
- Cho, S.D. and D.R. Chang, "Salesperson's Innovation Resistance and Job Satisfaction in Intra-Organizational Diffusion of Sales Force Automation Technologies : The Case of South Korea", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.37, No.7, 2008, 841-847. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.04.004
- Cotteleer, M., F. Lee, and E. Inderrieden, "Selling The Sales Force on Automation", Harvard Business Review, Vol.84, No.10, 2006, 144-145.
- Dulaney, K., "The Automated Sales Force", American Demographics, 1996, 56-63.
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, 1981, 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Gerbing, D.W. and J.C. Anderson, "An Updated Paradigm for Scale Development Incorporating Unidimensionality and Its Assessment", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.25, No.2, 1988, 186-192. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172650
- Gilbert, J., No Strings Attached, Sales and Marketing, 2004, July.
- Gohmann, S.F., J. Guan, R.M. Barker, and D.J. Faulds, "Perceptions of Sales Force Automation : Differences Between Sales Force and Management", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.34, No.4, 2005, 337-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.09.014
- Harris, K. and J. Pike, "Issues Concerning Adoption and Use of Sales Force Automation in The Agricultural Input Supply Sector", Agribusiness, Vol.12, No.4, 1996, 317-326. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6297(199607/08)12:4<317::AID-AGR2>3.0.CO;2-1
- Hahm, Y.K. and C.S. Cho, "An Empirical Study on The Factors of SFA(Sales Force Automation) System Acceptance and Usage : Focusing on Salespeople of Insurance Companies", Journal of Information Technology Applications and Management, Vol.11, No.3, 2004, 89-116. (함유근, 조치선, "SFA 시스템의 도입과 활용에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구 : 보험회사의 영업사원을 중심으로", 정보기술과 데이타베이스, 제11권, 제3호, 2004, 89-116.)
- Holt, S., "Sales Force Automation Ramps Up", InfoWorld, Vol.20, No.12, 1998, 29-30.
- Homburg, C., J. Wieseke, and C. Kuehnl, "Social Influence on Salespeople's Adoption of Sales Technology : A Multi-Level Analysis", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.38, No.2, 2010, 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-009-0157-x
- Honeycutt, E.D., T. Thelen, S.T. Thelen, and S.K. Hodge, "Impediments to Sales Force Automation", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.34, No.4, 2005, 313-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.09.012
- Hu, L. and P.M. Bentler, "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis : Conventional Criteria versus New Alternatives", Structural Equation Modeling, Vol.6, No.1, 1999, 1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Jelinek, R., M. Ahearne, J. Mathieu, and N. Schillewaert, "A Longitudinal Examination of Individual, Organizational, and Contextual Factors on Sales Technology Adoption and Job Performance", Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol.14, No.1, 2006, 7-23. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679140101
- Jiang, J.J., W.A. Muhanna, and G. Klein, "User Resistance and Strategies for Promoting Acceptance Across System Types", Information and Management, Vol.37, No.1, 2000, 25-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(99)00032-4
- Jones, E., S. Sundaram, and W. Chin, "Factors Leading to Sales Force Automation Use : A Longitudinal Analysis", Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Vol.22, No.3, 2002, 145-156.
- Kim, Y.J., "Development and Validation of The Korean Version of The Leisure Satisfaction Scale", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol.43, No.1, 2004, 291-299. (김영재, "한국형 여가만족척도 개발과 타당화 검증", 한국체육학회지, 제43권, 제1호, 2004, 291-299.)
- Kline, R.B., Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling(3rd ed.), NY : Guildford Press., 2011, 236-237.
- Lapointe, L. and S. Rivard, "A Multi-Level Model of Resistance to Information Technology Implementation", MIS Quarterly, Vol.29, No.3, 2005, 461-491. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148692
- Markus, M.L., "Power, Politics, and MIS Implementation", Communications of the Acm, Vol. 26, No.61983, 1983, 430-444. https://doi.org/10.1145/358141.358148
- Morgan, A.J. and S.A. Inks, "Technology and The Sales Force : Increasing Acceptance of Sales Force Automatio", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.30, No.5, 2001, 463-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(99)00115-7
- Nunnally, J.C., I.H. Bernstein, and J.M.T. Berge, Psychometric Theory(Vol. 226), New York : McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Park, C.W., Sales Management for Customer Relationship Building, CheongRam, 2012. (박찬욱, 고객관계 구축을 위한 영업관리, 청람, 2012.)
- Parthasarathy, M. and R.S. Sohi, "Salesforce Automation and The Adoption of Technological Innovations by Salespeople : Theory and Implications", Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol.12, No.3/4, 1997, 196-208. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858629710188036
- Rasmusson, E., "The 5 Steps to Successful Sales Force Automation", Sales and Marketing : New York, Vol.151, 1999, 34-41.
- Rangarajan, D., E. Jones, and W. Chin, "Impact of Sales Force Automation on Technology-Related Stress, Effort, and Technology Usage among Salespeople", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.34, No.4, 2005, 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.09.015
- Ram, S., "A Model of Innovation Resistance", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.14, 1987, 208-212.
- Ram, S. and H.S. Jung, "Forced Adoption of Innovations in Organizations : Consequences and Implications", Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.8, No.2, 1991, 117-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(91)90005-J
- Robinson, L., G.W. Marshall, and M.B. Stamps, "Sales Force Use of Technology : Antecedents to Technology Acceptance", Journal of Business Research, Vol.58, No.12, 2005, 1623-1631. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2004.07.010
- Schillewaert, N., M.J. Ahearne, R.T. Frambach, and R.K. Moenaert, "The Adoption of Information Technology in The Sales Force", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.34, No.4, 2005, 323-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.09.013
- Seyal, A.H., M.N. Rahman, and M.M. Rahim, "Determinants of Academic Use of The Internet : A Structural Equation Model", Behaviour and Information Technology, Vol.21, No.1, 2002, 71-86. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290210123354
- Shrout, P.E. and N. Bolger, "Mediation in Experimental and Nonexperimental Studies : New Procedures and Recommendations", Psychological Methods, Vol.7, No.4, 2002, 422. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.4.422
- Singh, R., H.S. Sandhu, B.A. Metri, and R. Kaur, "Organizational Performance and Retail Challenges : A Structural Equation Approach", iBusiness, Vol.3, No.2, 2011, 159. https://doi.org/10.4236/ib.2011.32022
- Speier, C. and V. Venkatesh, "The Hidden Minefields in The Adoption of Sales Force Automation Technologies", Journal of Marketing, Vol.66, No.3, 2002, 98-111. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1110
- Snyder, M.L. and R.A. Wicklund, "Prior Exercise of Freedom and Reactance", Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.12, No.2, 1976, 120-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(76)90063-9
- Wicklund, R.A., Freedom and Reactance, Lawrence Erlbaum, 1974.
- Wright, G., K. Fletcher, B. Donaldson, and J.H. Lee, "Sales Force Automation Systems : An Analysis of Factors Underpinning The Sophistication of Deployed Systems in The UK Financial Services Industry", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.37, No.8, 2008, 992-1004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2007.08.005