- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Interference Avoidance through Pilot-Based Spectrum Sensing Algorithm in Overlaid Femtocell Networks
- Sambanthan, Padmapriya (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College) ;
- Muthu, Tamilarasi (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College)
- Received : 2014.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.08.25
- Published : 2016.02.01
Co-channel interference between macro-femtocell networks is an unresolved problem, due to the frequency reuse phenomenon. To mitigate such interference, a secondary femtocell must acquire channel-state knowledge about a co-channel macrocell user and accordingly condition the maximum transmit power of femtocell user. This paper proposes a pilot-based spectrum sensing (PSS) algorithm for overlaid femtocell networks to sense the presence of a macrocell user over a channel of interest. The PSS algorithm senses the pilot tones in the received signal through the power level and the correlation metric comparisons between the received signal and the local reference pilots. On ensuring the existence of a co-channel macrocell user, the maximum transmit power of the corresponding femtocell user is optimized so as to avoid interference. Time and frequency offsets are carefully handled in our proposal. Simulation results show that the PSS algorithm outperforms existing sensing techniques, even at poor received signal quality. It requires less sensing time and provides better detection probability over existing techniques.
- M. Reardon, Cisco Predicts Wireless-Data Explosion, Cisco Press Release, Feb. 9, 2010. Accessed June 2013. http://www.cnet.com/news/cisco-predicts-wireless-data-explosion/
- U. Jang et al., "Interference Management with Block Diagonalization for Macro/Femto Coexisting Networks," ETRI J., vol. 34, no. 3, June 2012, pp. 297-307. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0110.0793
- T. Yucek and H. Arslan, "A Survey of Spectrum Sensing Algorithm for Cognitive Radio Application," IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 1, 2009, pp. 116-130. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2009.090109
- L. Gavrilovska et al., "Learning and Reasoning in Cognitive Radio Networks," IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials, vol. 15, no. 4, 2013, pp. 1761-1777. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2013.030713.00113
- B. Shen and K.S. Kwak, "Soft Combination Schemes for Cooperative Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio Networks," ETRI J., vol. 31, no. 3, June 2009, pp. 263-270. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.09.0108.0501
- A. Mariani, A. Giorgetti, and M. Chaini, "Effect of Noise Power Estimation on Energy Detection for Cognitive Radio Applications," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 59, no. 12, Dec. 2011, pp. 3410-3420. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2011.102011.100708
- K.W. Choy, W.S. Jeon, and D.G. Jeong, "Sequential Detection of Cyclostationary Signal for Cognitive Radio System," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 8, no. 9, Sept. 2009, pp. 4480-4485. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2009.090288
- S.S. Hwang, D.C. Park, and S.C. Kim, "Frequency Domain DTV Pilot Detection Based on the Bussgang Theorem for Cognitive Radio," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 4, Aug. 2013, pp. 644-654. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0112.0556
- A. Bagwari and G.S. Tomar, "Multiple Energy Detection and Cyclostationary Feature Detection Spectrum Sensing Technique," Int. Conf. Commun. Syst. Netw. Technol., Bhopal, India, Apr. 7-9, 2014, pp. 178-181.
- J. Lunden et al., "Collaborative Cyclostationary Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio Systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 57, no. 11, Nov. 2009, pp. 4182-4195. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2009.2025152
- A. Bagwari, G.S. Tomar, and S. Verma, "Cooperative Spectrum Sensing Based on Two-Stage Detectors with Multiple Energy Detectors and Adaptive Double Threshold in Cognitive Radio Networks," Canadian J. Elect. Comput. Eng., vol. 36, no. 4, 2013, pp. 172-180. https://doi.org/10.1109/CJECE.2014.2303519
- Y. Li and S.K. Jayaweera, "Dynamic Spectrum Tracking Using Energy and Cyclostationarity-Based Multi-variate Nonparametric Quickest Detection for Cognitive Radios," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 12, no. 7, July 2013, pp. 3522-3532. https://doi.org/10.1109/TW.2013.060413.121814
- Z. Lu et al., "Novel Pilot-Assisted Spectrum Sensing for OFDM Systems by Exploiting Statistical Difference between Subcarriers," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 61, no. 4, Apr. 2013, pp. 1264-1276. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2013.020813.120323
- Q. Li et al., "Joint Access and Power Control in Cognitive Femtocell Networks," Int. Conf. Wireless Commun. Signal Process., Nanjing, China, Nov. 9-11, 2011, pp. 1-5.
- W. Wang, G. Yu, and A. Huang, "Cognitive Radio Enhanced Interference Coordination for Femtocell Network," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 51, no. 6, June 2013, pp. 37-43. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2013.6525593
- S.-M. Cheng et al., "On Exploiting Cognitive Radio to Mitigate Interference in Macro/Femto Heterogeneous Networks," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 18, no. 3, June 2011, pp. 40-47. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2011.5876499
- D. Min, L. Tong, and B.M. Sadler, "Optimal Insertion of Pilot Symbols for Transmissions over Time-Varying Flat Fading Channels," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 52, no. 5, May 2004, pp. 1403-1418. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2004.826182
- 3GPP LTE Release 11, Tech. Specification of 3GPP LTE Radio Specification, Sept. 2013.
- T.-D. Chiueh and P.-Y. Tsai, "OFDM Baseband Receiver Design for Wireless Communication," Taipei, Taiwan, John Wiley & Sons Pte. Ltd, 2008, pp. 115-118.
- H. Li, X. Wang, and J. Nadeau, "Robust Spectrum Sensing for OFDM Signal without Synchronization and Prior Noise Knowledge," Wireless Commun. Mobile Comput., vol. 14, no. 6, Apr. 2014, pp. 644-658. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcm.2221