- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
User Selection Algorithms for MU-MIMO Systems with Coordinated Beamforming
- Maciel-Barboza, Fermin Marcelo (Department of Electronic and Communications, CICESE Research Center) ;
- Soriano-Equigua, Leonel (Faculty of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, University of Colima) ;
- Sanchez-Garcia, Jaime (Department of Electronic and Communications, CICESE Research Center) ;
- Castillo-Soria, Francisco Ruben (Computer Engineering Department, Unistmo University) ;
- Topete, Victor Hugo Castillo (Faculty of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, University of Colima)
- Received : 2014.10.11
- Accepted : 2015.10.21
- Published : 2016.02.01
In this paper, we propose two novel user selection algorithms for multiuser multiple-input and multiple-output downlink wireless systems, in which both a base station (BS) and mobile stations (MSs) are equipped with multiple antennas. Linear transmit beamforming at the BS and receive combining at the MSs are used to avoid interference between users and find a better sum-rate capacity performance. An optimal technique for selecting users would entail an exhaustive search, which in practice becomes computationally complex for a realistic number of users. Suboptimal algorithms with low complexity are proposed for a coordinated beamforming scheme. Simulation results show that the performance of the proposed algorithms is better than that provided by previous algorithms and is very close to an optimal approach with reduced complexity.
Supported by : CONACYT Mexico
- D. Gesbert et al., "Shifting the MIMO Paradigm," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., vol. 24, no. 5, Sept. 2007, pp. 36-46. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2007.904815
- M. Costa, "Writing on Dirty Paper Coding," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 29, no. 3, May 1983, pp. 439-441. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1983.1056659
- C.B. Peel, B.M. Hochwald, and A.L. Swindlehurst, "A Vector Perturbation Technique for Near-Capacity Multiantenna Multiuser Communications," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 53, no. 1, Jan. 2005, pp. 195-202. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2004.840638
- Q. Spencer, A.L. Swindlehurst, and M. Haardt, "Zero Forcing Methods for Downlink Spatial Multiplexing in Multiuser MIMO Channels," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 52, no. 2, Feb. 2004, pp. 462-471.
- C.-B. Chae et al., "Coordinated Beamforming for the Multiuser MIMO Broadcast Channel with Limited Feedforward," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 56, no. 12, Aug. 2008, pp. 6044-6056. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2008.929869
- L. Soriano-Equigua et al., "Noniterative Coordinated Beamforming for Multiuser MIMO Systems with Limited Feedforward," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., vol. 18, no. 12, Dec. 2011, pp. 701-704. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2011.2171483
- A. Goldsmith, "Wireless Communications," New York, USA: Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp. 422-424.
- T. Yoo and A. Goldsmith, "On the Optimality of Multiantenna Broadcast Scheduling Using Zero-Forcing Beamforming," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 24, no. 3, Mar. 2006, pp. 528-541. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2005.862421
- Z. Shen et al., "Low Complexity User Selection Algorithms for Multiuser MIMO Systems with Block Diagonalization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 54, no. 9, Sept. 2006, pp. 3658-3663. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2006.879269
- L. Jin, X. Gu, and Z. Hu, "Low-Complexity Scheduling Strategy for Wireless Multiuser Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Downlink System," IET Commun., vol. 5, no. 7, May 2011, pp. 990-995. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-com.2010.0358
- K. Ko and J. Lee, "Determinant-Based MIMO Scheduling with Reduced Pilot Overhead," EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. Netw., vol. 2012, no. 1, 2012, p. 71. https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-1499-2012-71
- C. Sun et al., "Low Complexity User Scheduling Algorithm for Energy-Efficient Multiuser Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Systems," IET Commun., vol. 8, no. 3, Feb. 2014, pp. 343-350. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-com.2013.0328
- B. Zhou et al., "Chordal Distance-Based User Selection Algorithm for the Multiuser MIMO Downlink with Perfect or Partial CSI," in Proc. IEEE AINA, Biopolis, Singapore, Mar. 22-25, 2011, pp. 77-82.
- K. Ko and J. Lee, "Multiuser MIMO User Selection Based on Chordal Distance," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 60, no. 3, Mar. 2012, pp. 649-654. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2012.020912.110060
- G. Gupta and A.K. Chaturvedi, "Conditional Entropy Based User Selection for Multiuser MIMO Systems," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 17, no. 8, Aug. 2013, pp. 1628-1631. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2013.070113.131393
- Z. Youtuan, T. Zhihua, and Z. Jinkang, "An Improved Norm-Based User Selection Algorithm for Multiuser MIMO Systems with Block Diagonalization," in Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., Baltimore, MD, USA, Sept. 30-Oct. 3, 2007, pp. 601-605.
- G.H. Golub and C.F. Van Loan, "Matrix Computations," 3rd ed. Baltimore, MD, USA: The John Hopkins Univ. Press, 1996.
- Y. Bae and J. Lee, "Low Complexity Antenna Selection for VBLAST Systems with OSIC Detection," EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. Netw., vol. 2011, no. 1, June 2011, p. 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-1499-2011-6
- D. Kum, D. Kang, and S. Choi, "Novel SINR-Based User Selection for an MU-MIMO System with Limited Feedback," ETRI J., vol. 36, no. 1, Feb. 2014, pp. 62-68. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.0113.0267