- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Robust Transmission Waveform Design for Distributed Multiple-Radar Systems Based on Low Probability of Intercept
- Shi, Chenguang (Key Laboratory of Radar Imaging and Microwave Photonics, Ministry of Education, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics) ;
- Wang, Fei (Key Laboratory of Radar Imaging and Microwave Photonics, Ministry of Education, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics) ;
- Sellathurai, Mathini (School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University) ;
- Zhou, Jianjiang (Key Laboratory of Radar Imaging and Microwave Photonics, Ministry of Education, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics) ;
- Zhang, Huan (Key Laboratory of Radar Imaging and Microwave Photonics, Ministry of Education, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- Received : 2014.10.20
- Accepted : 2015.10.14
- Published : 2016.02.01
This paper addresses the problem of robust waveform design for distributed multiple-radar systems (DMRSs) based on low probability of intercept (LPI), where signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) and mutual information (MI) are utilized as the metrics for target detection and information extraction, respectively. Recognizing that a precise characterization of a target spectrum is impossible to capture in practice, we consider that a target spectrum lies in an uncertainty class bounded by known upper and lower bounds. Based on this model, robust waveform design approaches for the DMRS are developed based on LPI-SINR and LPI-MI criteria, where the total transmitting energy is minimized for a given system performance. Numerical results show the effectiveness of the proposed approaches.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- E.P. Phillip, "Detecting and Classifying Low Probability of Intercept Radar," Boston, USA: Artech House, 2009, pp. 342-352.
- E. Fishler et al., "Spatial Diversity in Radars-Models and Detection Performance," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 54, no. 3, Mar. 2006, pp. 823-838. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2005.862813
- C.G. Shi et al., "LPI Optimization Framework for Target Tracking in Radar Network Architectures Using Information-Theoretic Criteria," Int. J. Antennas Propag., vol. 2014, July 2014, pp. 1-10.
- B. Friedlander, "Waveform Design for MIMO Radars," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 43, no. 3, July 2007, pp. 1227-1238. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2007.4383615
- P. Stoica, J. Li, and Y. Xie, "On Probing Signal Design for MIMO Radar," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 55, no. 8, Aug. 2007, pp. 4151-4161. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2007.894398
- M.R. Bell, "Information Theory and Radar Waveform Design," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 39, no. 5, Sept. 1993, pp. 1578-1597. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.259642
- Y. Yang and R.S. Blum, "MIMO Radar Waveform Design Based on Mutual Information and Minimum Mean-Square Error Estimation," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 43, no. 1, Jan. 2007, pp. 330-343. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2007.357137
- M.M. Naghsh et al., "Unified Optimization Framework for Multi-static Radar Code Design Using Information-Theoretic Criteria," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 61, no. 21, Nov. 2013, pp. 5401-5416. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2013.2278154
- Y.F. Chen et al., "Adaptive Distributed MIMO Radar Waveform Optimization Based on Mutual Information," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 49, no. 2, Apr. 2013, pp. 1374-1385. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2013.6494422
- L. Xu and Q.L. Liang, "Waveform Design and Optimization in Radar Sensor Network," IEEE Conf. Global Telecommun., Miami, FL, USA, Dec. 6-10, 2010, pp. 1-5.
- B. Tang, J. Tang, and Y.N. Peng, "MIMO Radar Waveform Design in Colored Noise Based on Information Theory," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 58, no. 9, Sept. 2010, pp. 4684-4697. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2010.2050885
- R.A. Romero, J. Bae, and N.A. Goodman, "Theory and Application of SNR and Mutual Information Matched Illumination Waveforms," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 47, no. 2, Apr. 2011, pp. 912-927. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2011.5751234
- P.M. Woodward, "Theory of Radar Information," Trans. IRE Professional Group Inf. Theory, vol. 1, no. 1, Feb. 1953, pp. 108-113. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1953.1188560
- P.M. Woodward, "Information Theory and the Design of Radar Receivers," Proc. IRE, vol. 39, no. 12, Dec. 1951, pp. 1521-1524. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRPROC.1951.273638
- S.A. Kassam and H.V. Poor, "Robust Techniques for Signal Processing: A Survey," Proc. IEEE, vol. 73, no. 3, Mar. 1985, pp. 433-481. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1985.13167
- Y. Yang and R.S. Blum, "Minimax Robust MIMO Radar Waveform Design," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., vol. 1, no. 1, June 2007, pp. 147-155. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTSP.2007.897056
- B. Jiu et al., "Minimax Robust Transmission Waveform and Receiving Filter Design for Extended Target Detection with Imprecise Prior Knowledge," Signal Process., vol. 92, no. 1, Jan. 2012, pp. 210-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2011.07.008
- Y.Q. Zhao, C.L. Yu, and H.P. Yin, "Research into the Anti-Common-Frequency Interference Technology Based on Code-Agility," Shipboard Electron. Countermeasure, vol. 36, no. 1, Jan. 2013, pp. 14-19.
- C.G. Shi, J.J. Zhou, and F. Wang, "Low Probability of Intercept Optimization for Radar Network Based on Mutual Information," IEEE China Summit Int. Conf. Signal Inf. Process., Xi'an, China, July 9-13, 2014, pp. 683-687.
- L.L. Wang et al., "Minimax Robust Jamming Techniques Based on Signal-to-Interference-Plus-Noise Ratio and Mutual Information Criteria," IET Commun., vol. 8, no. 10, July 2014, pp. 1859-1867. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-com.2013.1054