- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Protection of Incumbent Services and Its Impact on Coverage of TV Band Device Networks in TV White Space
- Kang, Kyu-Min (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Park, Jae Cheol (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Cho, Sang-In (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Park, Seungkeun (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2014.11.11
- Accepted : 2015.11.11
- Published : 2016.02.01
This paper presents a set of candidate regulatory requirements for TV band devices (TVBDs) in the Rep. of Korea. To guarantee the protection of incumbent services, especially digital TV (DTV) and wireless microphones, in TV frequency bands, we suggest minimum separation distances of TVBDs from the noise-limited contour according to incumbent users and TVBD types. This paper also deals with multiple sets of separation distances of a co-channel TVBD network from a DTV protected contour on the basis of the radio propagation characteristics of different geographic areas to make good use of TV white space (TVWS) and safely protect the DTV service. We present a low-power transmission mode of TVBDs and the relevant separation distances for small-cell deployment. The service coverage reduction ratio of a TVBD network is investigated in the presence of DTV interference in four geographic areas. The TVWS field verification results, conducted on the island of Jeju (Rep. of Korea), show that incumbent services operate well without harmful interference from neighboring TVBDs with the proposed separation distances.
Grant : Development of core technologies to improve spectral efficiency for mobile big-bang
Supported by : Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- PCAST Final Report, Traditional Practice of Clearing Government-Held Spectrum of Federal Users and Auctioning it for Commercial Use is not Sustainable, PCAST, July 2012.
- J. Xiao et al., "Expanding LTE Network Spectrum with Cognitive Radios: From Concept to Implementation," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 20, no. 2, Apr. 2013, pp. 12-19. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2013.6507389
- W. Ni and I.B. Collings, "A New Adaptive Small-Cell Architecture," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 31, no. 5, May 2013, pp. 829-839. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2013.130502
- H. Elsawy, E. Hossain, and D.I. Kim, "HetNets with Cognitive Small Cells: User Offloading and Distributed Channel Access Techniques," IEEE Commun., Mag., vol. 51, no. 6, June 2013, pp. 28-36.
- OFCOM Statement, The Future Role of Spectrum Sharing for Mobile and Wireless Data Services: Licensed Sharing, Wi-Fi, and Dynamic Spectrum Access, OFCOM, Apr. 2014.
- FCC 14-49, Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, FCC, Apr. 2014.
- K.G. Shin et al., "Cognitive Radios for Dynamic Spectrum Access: From Concept to Reality," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 17, no. 6, Dec. 2010, pp. 64-74. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2010.5675780
- OFCOM Statement, Digital Dividend: Cognitive Access, Statement on License-Exempting Cognitive Devices Using Interleaved Spectrum, OFCOM, July 2009.
- J. van de Beek et al., "TV White Space in Europe," IEEE Trans. Mobile Comput., vol. 11, no. 2, Feb. 2012, pp. 178-188. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2011.203
- K.-M. Kang et al., "Deployment and Coverage of Cognitive Radio Networks in TV White Space," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 50, no. 12, Dec. 2012, pp. 88-94.
- M. Song et al., "Dynamic Spectrum Access: From Cognitive Radio to Network Radio," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 19, no. 1, Feb. 2012, pp. 23-29. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2012.6155873
- D. Makris, G. Gardikis, and A. Kourtis, "Quantifying TV White Space Capacity: Qualifying TV White Space Capacity," IEEE Commun., Mag., vol. 50, no. 9, Sept. 2012, pp. 145-152. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2012.6295725
- H.N. Vu and H.Y. Kong, "Optimal Throughput of Secondary Users over Two Primary Channels in Cooperative Cognitive Radio Networks," J. Electromagn. Eng. Sci., vol. 12, no. 1, Mar. 2012, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.1.1
- J. Zuo et al., "Energy-Efficiency Power Allocation for Cognitive Radio MIMO-OFDM Systems," ETRI J., vol. 36, no. 4, Aug. 2014, pp. 686-689. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.0213.0413
- G.P. Villardi, G.T.F. de Abreu, and H. Harada, "TV White Space Technology: Interference in Portable Cognitive Emergency Network," IEEE Veh. Technol. Mag., vol. 7, no. 2, June 2012, pp. 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1109/MVT.2012.2190221
- FCC 12-36, Third Memorandum Opinion and Order, In the Matter of Unlicensed Operation in the TV Broadcast Bands, Additional Spectrum for Unlicensed Devices Below 900 MHz and in the 3 GHz Band, FCC, Apr. 2012.
- ECC Report 159, Technology and Operational Requirements for the Possible Operation of Cognitive Radio Systems in the 'White Spaces' of the Frequency Band 470-790 MHz, ECC, Jan. 2011.
- OFCOM Regulatory Requirements, Regulatory Requirements for White Space Devices in the UHF TV Band, OFCOM, July 2012.
- KCC Notification no. 2012-113, Notice of Draft Revised Rules on Radio Equipment, KCC, Sept. 2012.
- C.S. Sum et al., "Cognitive Communication in TV White Spaces: An Overview of Regulations, Standards, and Technology," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 51, no. 7, July 2013, pp. 138-145. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2013.6553690
- M. Nekovee, T. Irnich, and J. Karlsson, "Worldwide Trends in Regulation of Secondary Access to White Spaces Using Cognitive Radio," IEEE Wireless Commun., vol. 19, no. 4, Aug. 2012, pp. 32-40. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2012.6272421
- H.B. Yilmaz et al., "Radio Environment Map as Enabler for Practical Cognitive Radio Networks," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 51, no. 12, Dec. 2013, pp. 162-169. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2013.6685772
- FCC OET Bull. 69, Longley-Rice Methodology for Evaluating TV Coverage and Interference, FCC, Feb. 2004.
- ATSC Doc. A/74, ATSC Recommended Practice: Receiver Performance Guidelines, Advanced Television Systems Committee, June 2004.
- Y. Okumura et al., "Field Strength and its Variability in VHF and UHF Land Mobile Radio Service," Rev. Elect. Commun. Laboratory, vol. 16, no. 9-10, Sept.-Oct. 1968, pp. 825-873.
- ITU-R Recommendation P.1546-4, Method for Point-to-Area Predictions for Terrestrial Services in the Frequency Range 30 MHz to 3000 MHz, Tech. Rep., the ITU Radiocommunication Assembly, 2009.
- ITU-R Recommendation P.1411-6, Propagation Data and Prediction Methods for the Planning of Short-Range Outdoor Radiocommunication Systems and Radio Local Area Networks in the Freq. Range 300 MHz to 100 GHz, Tech. Rep., the ITU Radiocommunication Assembly, 2012.
- FCC. Accessed Oct. 1, 2014. https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-and-tv-propagation-curves
- K.-M. Kang, "Minimum Separation Distance of Adjacent Channel TV Band Devices from DTV Protected Contour in TV White Space," Electron. Lett., vol. 50, no. 14, July 2014, pp. 1024-1025. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2013.3763
- T. Nakamura el al., "Trends in Small Cell Enhancements in LTE Advanced," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 51, no. 2, Feb. 2013, pp. 98-105.
- K.-M. Kang and J.C. Park, "A New Scheme for Compliance with TV White Space Regulations Using Wi-Fi Modules in a Cognitive Radio System," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 60, no. 4, Nov. 2014, pp. 567-573. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2014.7027288