- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Incoherent Scattered Field by Multiple Scatterers in Random Media
- Seo, Dong-Wook (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Jae-Ho (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Hyung Soo (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2014.10.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.07
- Published : 2016.02.01
This paper proposes a method to estimate directly the incoherent scattered intensity and radar cross section (RCS) from the effective permittivity of a random media. The proposed method is derived from the original concept of incoherent scattering. The incoherent scattered field is expressed as a simple formula. Therefore, to reduce computation time, the proposed method can estimate the incoherent scattered intensity and RCS of a random media. To verify the potential of the proposed method for the desired applications, we conducted a Monte-Carlo analysis using the method of moments; we characterized the accuracy of the proposed method using the normalized mean square error (NMSE). In addition, several medium parameters, such as the density of scatterers and analysis volume, were studied to understand their effect on the scattering characteristics of a random media. The results of the Monte-Carlo analysis show good agreement with those of the proposed method, and the NMSE values of the proposed method and Monte-Carlo analysis are relatively small at less than 0.05.
Supported by : MSIP (the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning)
- C.-J. Kim and H.-J. Lee, "Performance Analysis of the Clutter Map CFAR Detector with Noncoherent Integration," ETRI J., vol. 15, no. 2, Oct. 1993, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.93.0193.0001
- Y. Hwang et al., "GPS-Based Orbit Determination for KOMPSAT-5 Satellite," ETRI J., vol. 33, no. 4, Aug. 2011, pp. 487-496. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.11.1610.0048
- C.D. Moss et al., "Finite-Difference Time-Domain Simulation of Scattering from Objects in Continuous Random Media," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., vol. 40, no. 1, Jan. 2002, pp. 178-186. https://doi.org/10.1109/36.981359
- C.C. Lu, W.C. Chew, and L. Tsang, "The Application of Recursive Aggregate T-Matrix Algorithm in the Monte Carlo Simulations of the Extinction Rate of Random Distribution of Particles," Radio Sci., vol. 30, no. 1, 1995, pp. 25-28. https://doi.org/10.1029/94RS01567
- L.M. Zurk, L. Tsang, and D.P. Winebrenner, "Scattering Properties of Dense Media from Monte Carlo Simulations with Application to Active Remote Sensing of Snow," Radio Sci., vol. 31, no. 4, July-Aug. 1996, pp. 803-819. https://doi.org/10.1029/96RS00939
- R.G. Wickliff and R.J. Garbacz, "The Average Backscattering Cross Section of Clouds of Randomized Resonant Dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 22, no. 3, May 1974, pp. 503-505. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1974.1140813
- Z. Min, W. Zhensen, and L. Kexiang, "Monte Carlo Simulations of the EM Bistatic Scattering from a Novel Foil Cloud," Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. EM Theory, Beijing, China, Aug. 15-18, 2000, pp. 45-49.
- D. Polder and J.H. Van Santen, "The Effective Permeability of Mixtures of Solids," Physica, vol. 12, no. 5, Aug. 1946, pp. 257-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-8914(46)80066-1
- P. Mallet, C.A. Guerin, and A. Sentenac, "Maxwell-Garnett Mixing Rule in the Presence of Multiple Scattering: Derivation and Accuracy," Phys. Rev. B, vol. 72, no. 1, July 2005, p. 014205. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.72.014205
- L. Tsang, J.A. Kong, and R.T. Shin, "Theory of Microwave Remote Sensing," New York, USA: Wiley Inter-science, 1985.
- D.W. Seo et al., "Generalized Equivalent Conductor Method for a Chaff Cloud with an Arbitrary Orientation Distribution," Progress Electromagn. Res., vol. 105, 2010, pp. 333-346. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER10051202
- D.W. Seo et al., "The Effect of Fiber Orientation Distribution on the Effective Permittivity of Fiber Composite Materials," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., vol. 24, 2010, pp. 2419-2430. https://doi.org/10.1163/156939310793675835
- D.W. Seo et al., "Dynamic RCS Estimation of Chaff Clouds," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 48, no. 3, July 2012, pp. 2114-2127. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2012.6237582
- S.W. Marcus, "Electromagnetic Wave Propagation through Chaff Clouds," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 55, no. 7, July 2007, pp. 2032-2042. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.900178
- Z.L. Wang, L. Hu, and W. Ren, "Multiple Scattering of Waves by a Half-Space of Distributed Discrete Scatterers with Modified TMatrix Approach," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 27, no. 3, 1994, pp. 441-446. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/27/3/002
- S.W. Marcus, "Incoherent Scattering from Dense Clouds of Wire Dipoles," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., San Diego, CA, USA, July 5-11, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- K. Sarabandi and P.R. Siqueira, "Numerical Scattering Analysis for Two-Dimensional Dense Random Media: Characterization of Effective Permittivity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 45, no. 5, May 1997, pp. 858-867. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.575638
- A. Ishimaru, "Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media," New York, USA: Wiley-IEEE Press, 1999.