- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Demosaicing Method for Digital Cameras with White-RGB Color Filter Array
- Park, Jongjoo (Department of Electronics Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Jang, Euee Seon (Division of Computer Science & Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Chong, Jong-Wha (Department of Electronics Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2014.11.27
- Accepted : 2015.10.14
- Published : 2016.02.01
Demosaicing, or color filter array (CFA) interpolation, estimates missing color channels of raw mosaiced images from a CFA to reproduce full-color images. It is an essential process for single-sensor digital cameras with CFAs. In this paper, a new demosaicing method for digital cameras with Bayer-like W-RGB CFAs is proposed. To preserve the edge structure when reproducing full-color images, we propose an edge direction-adaptive method using color difference estimation between different channels, which can be applied to practical digital camera use. To evaluate the performance of the proposed method in terms of CPSNR, FSIM, and S-CIELAB color distance measures, we perform simulations on sets of mosaiced images captured by an actual prototype digital camera with a Bayer-like W-RGB CFA. The simulation results show that the proposed method demosaics better than a conventional one by approximately +22.4% CPSNR, +0.9% FSIM, and +36.7% S-CIELAB distance.
Supported by : IITP (Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion)
- B.E. Bayer, Color Imaging Array, US Patent 3,971,065, filed Mar. 5, 1975, issued July 20, 1976.
- Y. Egawa et al., "A White-RGB CFA-Patterned CMOS Image Sensor with Wide Dynamic Range," IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., San Francisco, CA, USA, Feb. 3-7, 2008, pp. 52-59.
- H. Honda et al., "A Novel Bayer-like WRGB Color Filter Array for CMOS Image Sensors," Proc. SPIE 6492, Human Vis. Electron. Imag. XII, San Jose, CA, USA, Feb. 12, 2007, pp. 1-10.
- H. Honda et al., "High Sensitivity Color CMOS Image Sensor with WRGB Color Filter Array and Color Separation Process Using Edge Detection," Int. Image Sensor Soc. Workshop, Ogunquit, ME, USA, June 6-10, 2007, pp. 263-266.
- A. Getman, J. Kim, and T.-C. Kim, "Imaging System Having White-RGB Color Filter Array," IEEE Int. Conf. Image Process., Hong Kong, China, Sept. 26-29, 2010, pp. 569-572.
- K. Shun et al., "Color Reproductivity Improvement with Additional Virtual Color Filters for WRGB Image Sensor," SPIE 8652 Color Imag. XVIII: Displaying, Process., Hardcopy Appl., CA, USA, Feb. 4, 2013, pp. 1-7.
- I. Pekkucuksen and Y. Altunbasak, "Edge Strength Filter Based Color Filter Array Interpolation," IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 21, no. 1, Jan. 2012, pp. 393-397. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2011.2155073
- J. Wolberg, "Data Analysis Using the Method of Least Squares: Extracting the Most Information from Experiments," Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp. 44-50.
- J.E. Adams and J.F. Hamilton, Adaptive Color Plane Interpolation in Single Sensor Color Electronic Camera, US Patent 5,629,734, filed Mar. 17, 1995, issued May 13, 1997.
- L. Zhang et al., "FSIM: A Feature Similarity Index for Image Quality Assessment," IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 20, no. 8, Aug. 2011, pp. 2378-2386. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2011.2109730
- G.M. Johnson and M.D. Fairchild, "Measuring Images: Differences, Quality, and Appearance," Conf. SPIE/IS&T Electron. Imag., Santa Clara, CA, USA, June 12, 2003, pp. 147-160.