- Volume 61 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Characteristics of Curriculum Design of Pre-Service Chemistry Teachers Participating in Educational Program for Teaching in Science Museum
과학관 활용 수업을 위한 교육 프로그램에 참여한 예비화학교사의 교수 설계에서 나타나는 특징
- Choi, Sookyeong (Department of Chemistry Education, Seoul National University) ;
- Song, Nayoon (Department of Chemistry Education, Seoul National University) ;
- Noh, Taehee (Department of Chemistry Education, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.08.25
- Accepted : 2017.11.02
- Published : 2017.12.20
In this study, we investigated the characteristics of curriculum design of pre-service chemistry teachers who participated in educational program for teaching in science museum. Three pre-service chemistry teachers at a college of education in Seoul participated. The educational program was composed of workshop, lesson planning and practice, and critique. After the workshop, we conducted semi-structured interviews based on pre-visit, during-visit, post-visit activities planned by the pre-service teachers. We observed and recorded their teaching practices in Gwacheon National Science Museum and following critique by their classmates. We also conducted final interviews. We used a framework for museum practice to analyze their curriculum design. The analyses of the results revealed that all planned their lessons in accordance with the National Science Curriculum, and considered geographical and psychological aspects in their pre-visit activities. They encouraged students to make joint products through small group activities, and gave students autonomy in choosing exhibits to facilitate spontaneous participation. However, they did not consider continuous aspects of pre-visit, during-visit, and post-visit activities. They did not effectively induce students to engage during-visit activities cognitively. They did not make post-visit activities connect students' experiences in science museum to personal experiences.
Curriculum design;Educational program;Teaching in science museum;Pre-service chemistry teacher
Supported by : Korean Chemical Society
- Anderson, D.; Lucas, K. B.; Ginns, I. S. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2003, 40, 177. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10071
- Chang, H.-S.; Choi, K.-H. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction 2006, 6, 425.
- Kim, S.-H.; Song, J.-W. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 2003, 23, 544.
- Kwon, Y.-Y.; Jeong, E. Biology Education 2015, 43, 412. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2015.43.4.412
- Tran, L. U. Science Education 2007, 91, 278. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20193
- Jarvis, T.; Pell, A. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2005, 42, 53. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20045
- Allen, S. In Learning conversations in museum; Leinhardt, G.; Crowley, K.; Knutson, K., Ed.; Lawrence Erlbaum Associates: New Jersey, U.S.A., 2002; p 259.
- DeWitt, J.; Osborne, J. International Journal of Science Education 2007, 29, 685. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690600802254
- Griffin, J.; Symington, D. Science Education 1997, 81, 763. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199711)81:6<763::AID-SCE11>3.0.CO;2-O
- Kisiel, J. F. Journal of Science Teacher Education 2003, 14, 3. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022991222494
- Julyan, C.; Duckworth, E. In Constructivism: Theory, Perspectives, and practice; Fosnot, C. T., Ed.; Teachers College Press: New York, U.S.A., 1996; p 107.
- Han, M.; Yang, C.; Noh, T. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education 2014, 34, 33. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.1.1.0033
- Choi, K.; Chang, H.; Lee, H. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education 2006, 25, 331.
- Griffin, J. Science Education 2004, 88, S59. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20018
- Han, M.; Yang, C.; Noh, T. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education 2010, 30, 1060.
- Han, M.; Yang, C.; Noh, T. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education 2014, 34, 559. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.6.0559
- Kim, J.; Oh, Y.; Choi, K. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction 2012, 12, 261.
- Chang, H.; Lee, H. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education 2008, 27, 211.
- Adam, J. D.; Gupta, P. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2017, 54, 121. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.21270
- Wallace, C. S. Journal of Science Teacher Education 2013, 24, 811. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10972-013-9337-0
- Anderson, D.; Lawson, B.; Mayer-Smith, J. Teaching Education 2006, 17, 341. https://doi.org/10.1080/10476210601017527
- Luehmann, A. L. Science Education 2007, 91, 822. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20209
- Yang, C.; Bae, Y.; Noh, T. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education 2015, 35, 95. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.1.0095
- Arellano, E. L.; Barcenal, T. L.; Bilbao, P. P.; Castellano, M. A.; Nichols, S.; Tippins, D. J. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2001, 38, 502. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.1016
- Harrington, H. L. Teaching and Teacher Education 1995, 11, 203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(94)00027-4
- Pang, J.; Kim, S.; Choi, J. The Mathematical Education 2009, 48, 61.
- Falk, J. H.; Dierking, L. D. LeArning from Museums: Visitor experiences and the making of meaning; AltaMira Press: CA, U.S.A., 2000.
- Song, J. W.; Kim, C.-J.; Kim, H.-B.; Yoo, J.; Lee, K. H.; Chae, H. K. The Study Book for Inquiry Learning of Primary, Middle, and High School Connected with Exhibits of the Gwacheon National Science Museum; The Gwacheon National Science Museum: Gyeonggi, 2009
- Guisasola, J.; Solbes, J.; Barragues, J.; Morentin, M.; Moreno, A. International Journal of Science Education 2009, 31, 2085. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690802353536
- Tal, R.; Bamberger, Y.; Morag, O. Science Education 2005, 89, 920. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20070
- Borun, M.; Chambers, M.; Cleghorn, A. Curator 1996, 39, 123. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2151-6952.1996.tb01084.x
- Lucas, K. B. Science Education 2000, 84, 524. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-237X(200007)84:4<524::AID-SCE6>3.0.CO;2-X
- Price, S.; Hein, G. E. International Journal of Science Education 1991, 13, 505. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069910130502
- Bang, A. R.; Choi, A. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society 2016, 60, 342. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2016.60.5.342
- Kang, C.-S. Research in Social Studies Education 2014, 21, 67.
- Lee, H.-J.; Chang, J.-E.; Kim, H.-B. Biology Education 2013, 41, 181. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2013.41.2.181
- Noh, T.; Lee, J.; Kang, H. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education 2012, 32, 1187. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.7.1187