- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Adsorption Characteristics of Acetone, Benzene, and Metylmercaptan by Activated Carbon Prepared from Waste Citrus Peel
폐감귤박으로 제조한 활성탄에 의한 아세톤, 벤젠 및 메틸메르캅탄의 흡착특성
- Kam, Sang-Kyu (Department of Environmental Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Ho (Livestock Division, Jeju Special Self-Governing Province) ;
- Lee, Min-Gyu (Department of Chemical Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.10.01
- Published : 2017.12.10
Activated carbons were prepared from waste citrus peels using KOH, NaOH, and
J. W. Jeon, D. H. Lee, J. S. Seo, S. K. Kam, and M. G. Lee, Photocatalytic oxidation characteristics of benzene, toluene, and ethylbenzene by UV reactor inserted
$TiO_2$-coated porous screw, Proc. Korean Environ. Sci. Soc. Conf., 22, 750-753 (2013).
- R. M. Alberici and W. F. Jardim, Photocatalytic destruction of VOCs in the gas-phase using titanium dioxide, Appl. Catal. B, 14, 55-68 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(97)00012-X
- C. H. Weng, Y.-T. Lin, and T.-W. Tzeng, Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by adsorption onto pineapple leaf powder, J. Hazard. Mater., 170, 417-424 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.04.080
- F. I. Khan and A. K. Ghoshal, Removal of volatile organic compound from polluted air, J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 13, 527-545 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(00)00007-3
- Q. S. Liu, T. Zheng, P. Wang, J. P. Jiang, and N. Li, Adsorption isotherm, kinetic and mechanism studies of some substituted phenols on activated carbon fibers, Chem. Eng. J., 157, 348-356 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2009.11.013
- M. Kazemipour, M. Ansari, S. Tajrobehkar, M. Majdzadeh, and H. R. Kermani, Removal of lead, cadmium, zinc, and copper from industrial wastewater by carbon developed from walnut, hazelnut, almond, pistachio shell, and apricot stone, J. Hazard. Mater., 150, 322-327 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.04.118
- A. Ahmad and B. Hameed, Reduction of COD and color of dyeing effluent from a cotton textile mill by adsorption onto bamboo- based activated carbon, J. Hazard. Mater., 172, 1538-1543 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.08.025
- N. El Hannafi, M. A. Boumakhla, T. Berrama, and Z. Bendjama, Elimination of phenol by adsorption on activated carbon prepared from the peach cores: modelling and optimisation, Desalination, 223, 264-268 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.01.229
- A. Khaled, A. El Nemr, A. El-Sikaily, and O. Abdelwahab, Removal of Direct N Blue-106 from artificial textile dye effluent using activated carbon from orange peel: Adsorption isotherm and kinetic studies, J. Hazard. Mater., 165, 100-110 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.09.122
- M. Valix, W. H. Cheung, and G. McKay, Preparation of activated carbon using low temperature carbonisation and physical activation of high ash raw bagasse for acid dye adsorption, Chemosphere, 56, 493-501 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.04.004
- N. Kannan and M. M. Sundaram, Kinetics and mechanism of removal of methylene blue by adsorption on various carbons - A comparative study, Dyes Pigm., 51, 25-40 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7208(01)00056-0
- C. A. Basar, Applicability of the various adsorption models of three dyes adsorption onto activated carbon prepared waste apricot, J. Hazard. Mater., B135, 232-241 (2006).
R. L. Tseng, S. K. Tseng, and F. C. Wu, Preparation of high surface area carbons from corncob using KOH combined with
$CO_2$gasification for the adsorption of dyes and phenols from water, Colloids Surf. A, 279, 69-78 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2005.12.042
- A. Aygun, S. Yenisoy-Karakas, and I. Duman, Production of granular activated carbon from fruit stones and nutshells and evaluation of their physical, chemical and adsorption properties, Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 66, 189-195 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2003.08.028
- S. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, and S. W. Park, Adsorption analysis of benzene vapor in a fixed-bed of granular activated carbon, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 47(4), 495-500 (2009).
- J. K. Lim, S. W. Lee, S. K. Kam, D. W. Lee, and M. G. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of toluene vapor in fixed-bed activated carbon column, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 14, 61-69 (2005). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2005.14.1.061
- H. U. Lee, J. S. Kim, C. Han, H. K. Song, and B. K. Na, Adsorption and desorption characteristics of MEK with activated carbon and polymer adsorbents, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 37, 120-125 (1999).
- M. Popescu, J. P. Joly, J. Carre, and C. Danatoiu, Dynamical adsorption and temperature-programmed desorption of VOCs (toluene, butyl acetate and butanol) on activated carbons, Carbon, 41, 739-748 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(02)00391-3
- Y. C. Chiang, P. C. Chiang, and C. P. Huang, Effect of pore structure and temperature on VOC adsorption on activated carbon, Carbon, 39, 523-534 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(00)00161-5
- Z. Huang, F. Kang, K. Liang, and J. Hao, Breakthrough of methylketone and benzene vapors in activated carbon fiber beds, J. Hazard. Mater., B98, 107-115 (2003).
- J.-H. Tsai, H.-M. Chiang, G.-Y. Huang, and H.-L. Chiang, Adsorption characteristics of acetone, chloroform and acetonitrile on sludge derived adsorbent, commercial granular activated carbon and activated carbon fibers, J. Hazard. Mater., 154, 1183-1191 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.11.065
- S. Bashkova, A. Bagreev, and T. Bandosz, Adsorption of methyl mercaptan on activated carbons, Environ. Sci. Technol., 36, 2777-2782 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1021/es011416v
- S. W. Lee, Y. S. Na, C. D. An, and M. G. Lee, Comparison of adsorption and desorption characteristics of acetone vapor and toluene vapor on activated carbons according to pore structure, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 21, 1195-1201 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.10.1195
- A. J. Fletcher, Y. Yuzak, and K. M. Thomas, Adsorption and desorption kinetics for hydrophilic and hydrophobic vapors on activated carbon, Carbon, 44, 989-1004 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2005.10.020
- M. G. Lee, S. W. Lee, and S. H. Lee, Comparison of vapor adsorption characteristics of acetone and toluene based on polarity in activated carbon fixed-bed reactor, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 23, 773-778 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02705926
- S. W. Lee, M. G. Lee, and S. B. Park, Comparison of surface characteristics and adsorption characteristics of activated carbons changed by acid and base modification, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 17, 565-571 (2008). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.5.565
- M. A. Ahmad, W. M. A. Wan Daud, and M. K. Aroua, Adsorption kinetics of various gases in carbon molecular sieves (CMS) produced from palm shell, Colloids Surf. A, 312, 131-135 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2007.06.040
- M. K. Hafshejani, A. Langari, and M. Khazaei, Adsorption of acetone from polluted air by activated carbon derived from low cost materials, Life Sci. J., 10, 3658-3661 (2013).
- S. K. Kam, K. H. Kang, and M. G. Lee, Characterisitics of activated carbon prepared from waste citrus peel by KOH activation, Appl. Chem. Eng., 28, 649-654 (2017).
- K. H. Kang, S. K. Kam, and M. G. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of activated carbon prepared from waste citrus peels by NaOH activation, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 16, 1279-1285 (2007). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.11.1279
K. H. Kang, S. K. Kam, and M. G. Lee, Preparation of activated carbon from waste citrus peels by
$ZnCl_2$, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 16, 1091-1098 (2007). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.9.1091
- I. Langmuir, The adsorption od gases on plane surface of glass, mica and platinum, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 40, 1361-140 (1918). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja02242a004
- H. M. F. Freundlich, Over the adsorption in solution, J. Phys. Chem., 57, 385-470 (1906).
- J. T. Park, J. S. Kim, K. H. Chung, H. Moon, and S. Gon, Gaseous adsorption properties of n-hexane, methylethylketone and toluene on granular activated carbon, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 31, 476-482 (1994).
- S. Lagergren, About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances, Kunglia Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens Handlingar, 24, 1-39 (1898).
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, The kinetics of sorption of basic dyes from aqueous solution by sphagnum moss peat, Can. J. Chem. Eng., 76, 822-827 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450760419
- W. J. Weber and J. C. Morris, Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution, J. Sanit. Eng. Div., 89, 31-60 (1963).