- Volume 30 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The shelf life of 1,2-indandione/zinc and polyvinylpyrrolidone solutions used to develop latent fingermarks deposited on the surface of thermal paper
감열지에 부착된 잠재지문을 현출하는데 사용하는 1,2-indandione/zinc와 polyvinylpyrrolidone 용액의 보존기한
- Hong, Sungwook (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Yujin (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Hyunjung (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Hyerim (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Lee, Junchul (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Yu, Seoungho (Graduate School of Forensic Science Soonchunhyang University)
- 홍성욱 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김유진 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김현정 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김혜림 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 이준철 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 유승호 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원)
- Received : 2017.08.31
- Accepted : 2017.11.01
- Published : 2017.12.25
The shelf life of 1,2-indandione/zinc (1,2-IND/Zn) solution and polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) solution, which are known as reagents for developing latent fingermarks deposited on the surface of thermal paper, was studied. The standard latent fingermarks used for comparisons were artificial latent fingermarks printed on thermally sensitive and non-sensitive surfaces with the same intensity. Upon treatment of standard latent fingermarks with the pre-mixed 1,2-IND/Zn and PVP solutions, the fingermarks could be successfully developed until 3 days after the preparation of the mixture. However, from the third day after mixing the reagents, blackening was observed on the surface of the thermal paper, indicating deterioration of the reagent performance. The 1,2-IND/Zn and PVP solutions separately stored without mixing in advance were mixed immediately before use, and the development efficiency of the latent fingermarks deposited on the surface of thermal paper was observed. The performance of the PVP solution decreased after 20 days from the preparation of the reagent. It was also found that the shelf life of 1,2-IND/Zn and PVP mixture was determined by the PVP solution. The effect of oxygen and moisture on the degradation of PVP was investigated. It was found that the performance of the PVP solution deteriorated because of the influence of moisture, though it was not affected by oxygen.
Supported by : 순천향대학교
- NCR, Swiss Patent, 406, 257 (1969).
- O. P. Jasuja and G. Singh, Forensic Sci. Int., 192, 11-16 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2009.08.005
- S. Bleay, V. G. Sears, H. Bandey, A. Gibson, V. Bowman, R. Downham and C. Selway, "Fingerprint Source Book", Home Office, UK, 2012.
- R. Muthyala, "Chemistry and Application of Leuco Dyes", Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, 2002.
- L. Schwarz, Kriminalistik, 57, 246-249 (2003).
- L. Schwarz and I. Klenke, J. Forensic Sci., 52(3) (2007).
- T. Fitzi, R. Fisher, S. Moret and A. Becue, J. Forensic Ident., 64, 329-350 (2014).
- Y. S. Ok, G. Y. Ko, S. M. Jeong and J. S. Yu, Korean Police Studies Review, 13(2), 171-188 (2014).
- M. Stoilovic and C. Lennard, "Fingermark Detection & Enhancement", 4th Ed., National Centre for Forensic Studies, Canberra, 2010.
- J. Brennan, S. Bramble, S. Crabtree and G. Wright, J. Forensic Ident., 45, 373-380 (1995).
- R. Ramotowski, "Lee and Gaensslen"s Advances in Fingerprint Technology', 3rd Ed. CRC Press, 2012.
- Home Office, "Fingermark Visualization Manual", 1st ed., Home Office CAST, Sandridge, UK, January, 2014.
- J. L. Lee, S. M. Bleay, V. G. Sears, S. Mehmet and R. Croxton, J Forensic Ident., 59(5), 545-568 (2009).
- J. S. Yu, A. R. Kim and S. Lim, Korean Police Studies Review, 11(3), 171-184 (2012).
- L. Schwarz, P. Nat and I. Klenke, J. Forensic Sci., 55, 1076-1079 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01383.x
- Y. P. Luo, Y. B. Zhao and S. Liu, Forensic Sci. Int., 229, 75-79 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2013.03.045
- S. W. Hong, M. S. Kim, S. H. Yu, J. Forensic Sci., first published: 26 June 2017, doi: 10.1111/1556-4029.13585. https://doi.org/10.1111/1556-4029.13585
- V. D'Elia, S. Materazzi, G. Iuliano and L. Niola, Forensic Sci. Int., 254, 205-214 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2015.07.036
- S. W. Hong, I. G. Hong, A. l. Han, J. Y. Seo and J. Y. Namgung, Forensic Sci. Int., 257, 403-408 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2015.10.005
- V. G. Sears, S. M. Bleay, H. L. Bandey and V. J. Bowman, Sci. Justice., 52, 145-160 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scijus.2011.10.006
- O. P. Jasuja, M. A. Toofany, G. Singh and G. S. Sodhi, Sci. Justice., 49, 8-11 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scijus.2008.08.001
- J. Moore, S. Bleay, J. Deans and N. NicDaeid, J. Forensic Ident., 58(1), 83-108 (2008).
- S. Hong and J. Y. Seo, Forensic Sci. Int., 257, 379-384 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2015.10.011
- http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB4209342.htm, Assessed 26 Nov 2017.
- http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926650, Assessed 17 may 2017.