- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Novel Zero-Voltage-Switching Push-Pull Forward Converter with a Parallel Resonant Network
- Cai, Chunwei (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Shi, Chunyu (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Guo, Yuxing (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Yang, Zi (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Meng, Fangang (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.08.20
- Accepted : 2016.11.14
- Published : 2017.01.20
A novel zero-voltage-switching (ZVS) push-pull forward converter with a parallel resonant network is presented in this paper. The novel topology can provide a releasing loop for the energy storage in a leakage inductor for the duration of the power switching by the resonant capacitors paralleled with the primary windings of the transformer. Then the transformer leakage inductor is utilized to be resonant with the parallel capacitor, and the ZVS operation is achieved. This converter exhibits many advantages such as lower duty-cycle losses, limited peak voltage across the rectifier diodes and a higher efficiency. Furthermore, the operating principles and key problems of the converter design are analyzed in detail, and the ZVS conditions are derived. A 500W experimental converter prototype has been built to verify the effectiveness of the proposed converter, and its maximum efficiency reaches 94.8%.
- X. Zhou, B. Yang, L. Amoroso, F. C. Lee, and P. Wong, "A novel high input voltage, high efficiency and fast transient voltage regulator module-push-pull forward converter," IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC), Vol. 1, pp.279-283, Mar. 1999.
- P. Xu, M. Ye, P. Wong, and F. C. Lee, "Design of 48 V voltage regulator modules with a novel integrated magnetics," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 990-998, Nov. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.805604
- J. Cruz, M. Castilla, J. Mire, J. Matas, and J. M. Guerrero, "Averaged large-signal model of single magnetic push-pull forward converter with built-in input filter," IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Vol. 2, pp. 1023-1028, May 2004.
- Y.B. Xia, H.F. Wu, W. Liu, Y. Xing, and X. D. Ma, "A novel push-pull forward converter for high reliability and high input voltage applications," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 2506-2511, Sep. 2011.
- X. B. Ruan, B. Li, Q. H. Chen, S. C. Tan, and C. K. Tse, "Fundamental considerations of three-level DC-DC converters: Topologies, analyses, and control," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 3733-3743, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.927218
- Z. L. Yao and L. Xiao, "Push-pull forward three-level DC/DC converter with reduced rectifier voltage stress," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol.57, No. 10, pp. 2815-2821, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2010.2047746
- Z. L. Yao, G. W. Hu, and J. R. Kan, "Improved push-pull forward three-level converter," Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), pp. 1-4, Mar. 2012.
- R. Ayyanar and N. Mohan, "Novel soft-switching DC-DC converter with full ZVS-range and reduced filter requirement. I. Regulated-output applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 184-192, Mar. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.911142
- S. Hamada and M. Nakaoka, "A novel zero-voltage and zero-current switching PWM DC-DC converter with reduced conduction losses," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 413-419, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.1004249
- M. J. Ryan, W. E. Brumsickle, D. M. Divan, and R. D. Lorenz, "A new ZVS LCL-resonant push-pull DC-DC converter topology," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 1164-1174, Sep. 1998.
- C.-L. Chu and C.-H. Li, "Analysis and design of a current-fed zero-voltage-switching and zero-currentswitching CL-resonant push-pull dc-dc converter," IET Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 456-465, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0157
- T. F. Wu, J. C. Hung, J. T. Tsai, and C. T. Tsai, "An active-clamp push-pull converter for battery sourcing applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No.1, pp. 196-204, Jan./Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.912748
- F. Krismer and J. W. Kolar, "Accurate power loss model derivation of a high-current dual active bridge converter for an automotive application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 881-891, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2025284
- S. Yu, M. Q. Nguyen, and W. Choi, "A novel soft-switching battery charge/discharge converter with the zero voltage discharge function," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.31 No.7, pp. 5067-5078, Jul. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2482758
- D. S. Sha, Q. W. Lin, F. L. You, X. Wang, and G. Xu, "A ZVS bidirectional three-level DC-DC converter with direct current slew rate control of leakage inductance current," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 52, No.3, pp. 2368-2377, May/Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2015.2512225
- Z. Zhang, O. C. Thomsen, and M. A. E. Andersen, "Optimal design of a push-pull-forward half-bridge (PPFHB) bidirectional DC-DC converter with variable input voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec., Vol. 59, No. 7, pp. 2761-2770, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2134051
- Z. L. Yao and L. Xiao, "Family of zero-voltage-switching unregulated isolated step-up DC-DC converters," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 862-868, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0714