- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Voltage-fed Single-stage PFC Full-bridge Converter with Asymmetric Phase-shifted Control for Battery Chargers
- Qian, Qinsong (National ASIC System Engineering Research Center, Southeast University) ;
- Sun, Weifeng (National ASIC System Engineering Research Center, Southeast University) ;
- Zhang, Taizhi (National ASIC System Engineering Research Center, Southeast University) ;
- Lu, Shengli (National ASIC System Engineering Research Center, Southeast University)
- Received : 2016.06.04
- Accepted : 2016.11.15
- Published : 2017.01.20
A novel voltage-fed single-stage power factor correction (PFC) full-bridge converter based on asymmetric phase-shifted control for battery chargers is proposed in this paper. The attractive feature of the proposed converter is that it can operate in a wide output voltage range without an output low-frequency ripple, which is indispensable in battery charger applications. Meanwhile, the converter can maintain a high power factor and a controllable dc bus voltage over a wide output voltage range. In this paper, the realization of PFC and the operation principle of asymmetric phase-shifted control are given. A small-signal analysis of the proposed single-stage power factor correction (PFC) full-bridge converter is performed. Experimental results obtained from a 1kW experimental prototype are given to validate the feasibility of the proposed converter. The PF is higher than 0.97 over the entire output voltage range with the proposed control strategy.
Supported by : National Nature Science Foundation of China
- S.-H. Lee, C.-Y. Park, J.-M. Kwon, and B.-H. Kwon, "Hybrid-type full-bridge DC/DC converter with high efficiency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 4154-4164, Aug. 2015.
- F. Musavi, W. Eberle, and W. G. Dunford, "A high-performance single-phase bridgeless interleaved PFC converter for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle battery chargers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1833-1843, Jul./Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2156753
- J. Zhang, H. Wu, X. Qin X, and Y. Xing, "PWM plus secondary-side phase-shift controlled soft-switching full-bridge three-port converter for renewable power systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 11, pp. 7061-7072, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2448696
- T.-H. Kim, S.-J. Lee, and W. Choi, "Design and control of the phase shift full bridge converter for the on-board battery charger of electric forklifts," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 113-119, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.1.113
- P. K. Jain, W. Kang, H. Soin, and Y. Xi, "Analysis and design considerations of a load and line independent zero voltage switching full bridge dc/dc converter topology," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 649-657, Sep. 2002.
- X. Xie, J. Wang, C. Zhao, Q. Lu, and S. Liu, "A novel output current estimation and regulation circuit for primary side controlled high power factor single-stage flyback LED driver," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4602-4612, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2190523
- N. Sukesh, M. Pahlevaninezhad, and P. K. Jain, "Analysis and implementation of a single-stage flyback PV microinverter with soft switching," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 1819-1833, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2263778
- J. F. Zhang, A. Shteynberg, D. Zhou, and J. McCreary, "A novel multimode digital control approach for single-stage flyback power supplies with power factor correction and fast output voltage regulation," in Twentieth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Vol. 2, pp. 830-836, Mar. 2005.
- X. Xie, J. Li, K. Peng, C. Zhao, and Q. Lu, "Study on the single-stage forward-flyback PFC converter with QR control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 430-442, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2404859
- J.-L. Lin, W.-K. Yao, and S.-P. Yang, "Analysis and design for a novel single-stage high power factor correction diagonal half-bridge forward AC-DC converter," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 2274-2286, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2006.883166
- M. G. Egan, D. L. O'Sullivan, J. G. Hayes, M. J. Willers, and C. P. Henze, "Power-factor-corrected single-stage inductive charger for electric vehicle batteries," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 1217-1226, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.892996
- H. Wang, Q. Sun, H. S. H. Chung, S. Tapuchi, and A. Ioinovici, "A ZCS current-fed full-bridge PWM converter with self-adaptable soft-switching snubber energy," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 1977-1991, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2018559
- S. Jalbrzykowski and T. Citko, "Current-fed resonant full-bridge boost DC/AC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1198-1205, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.909084
- G. Moschopoulos, "A simple AC-DC PWM full-bridge converter with integrated power-factor correction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 1290-1297, Dec. 2003.
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, "High-performance voltage-fed AC-DC full-bridge single-stage power factor correctors with a reduced DC bus capacitor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 2680-2692, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2272723
- H. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, "Analysis and design of a high efficiency full-bridge single stage converter with reduced auxiliary components," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 1850-1862, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2042970
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, "New optimized full-bridge single-stage AC/DC converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 6, pp. 2397-2409, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2060458
- G. Moschopoulos and P. Jain, "Single-phase single-stage power-factor-corrected converter topologies," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 23-35, Feb. 2005.
- P. Das, S. Li, and G. Moschopoulos, "An improved AC-DC single-stage full-bridge converter with reduced DC bus voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 12, pp. 4882-4893, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2026386
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, "Solving technical problems on the full-bridge single-stage PFCs," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2264-2277, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2271594
- F. Lacressonniere, B. Cassoret, J.-F. Brudny, "Influence of a charging current with a sinusoidal perturbation on the performance of a lead-acid battery," IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Applications, Vol. 152, No. 5, pp. 1365-1370, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20050008
- F. Musavi, M. Craciun, D. S. Gautam, and W. Eberle, "Control strategies for wide output voltage range LLC resonant DC-DC converters in battery chargers," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 1117-1125, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2283158
- J.-H. Kim, I.-I. Lee, and G.-W. Moon, "Integrated dual full-bridge converter with current-doubler rectifier for EV charger," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 942-951, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2417571
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of power electronics, Springer Netherlands, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 11-19, 2001.
- Start-Up Scheme for a Three-Phase Isolated Full-Bridge Boost PFC Converter With the Passive Flyback Auxiliary Circuit vol.64, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2682041