- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quick Diagnosis of Short Circuit Faults in Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Inverters using FPGA
- Ouni, Saeed (Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Zolghadri, Mohammad Reza (Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Rodriguez, Jose (Faculty of Engineering, Andres Bello National University) ;
- Shahbazi, Mahmoud (School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, Durham University) ;
- Oraee, Hashem (Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Lezana, Pablo (Department of Electrical Engineering, Federico Santa Mar?a Technical University) ;
- Schmeisser, Andres Ulloa (Department of Electrical Engineering, Federico Santa Mar?a Technical University)
- Received : 2016.02.20
- Accepted : 2016.09.07
- Published : 2017.01.20
Fast and accurate fault detection is the primary step and one of the most important tasks in fault tolerant converters. In this paper, a fast and simple method is proposed to detect and diagnosis the faulty cell in a cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter under a short circuit fault. In this method, the reference voltage is calculated using switching control pulses and DC-Link voltages. The comparison result of the output voltage and the reference voltage is used in conjunction with active cell pulses to detect the faulty cell. To achieve this goal, the cell which is active when the Fault signal turns to "0" is detected as the faulty cell. Furthermore, consideration of generating the active cell pulses is completely described. Since the main advantage of this method is its simplicity, it can be easily implemented in a programmable digital device. Experimental results obtained with an 11-level inverter prototype confirm the effectiveness of the proposed fault detection technique. In addition, they show that the diagnosis method is unaffected by variations of the modulation index.
Supported by : Sharif University of Technology
- J. Rodriguez, J.-S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, "Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 724-738, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- A. Nabae, I. Takashi, and H. Akagi, "A new neutral-point clamped PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 1, No. 5, pp. 518-523, Sep./Oct. 1981.
- M. F, Escalante, J. C. Vannier, and A. Arzande, "Flying capacitor multilevel inverters and DTC motor drive applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 809-815, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801231
- M. Marchesoni, M. Mazzucchelli, and S. Tenconi, "A nonconventional power converter for plasma stabilization," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 212-219, Apr. 1990.
- B. Xiao, L. Hang, J. Mei, C. Riley, L. M. Tolbert, and B Ozpineci, "Modular cascaded H-bridge multilevel PV inverter with distributed MPPT for grid-connected applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 1722-1731, Mar./Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2354396
- J. G. P Reddy and K. R. Reddy, "Design and simulation of cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter based DSTATCOM for compensation of reactive power and harmonics," in Proc. 1st IEEE Recent Advances in Information Tech. Conf., pp. 737-743, 2012.
- R. Rathore, H. Holtz, and T. Boller, "Generalized optimal pulse width modulation of multilevel inverters for low-switching-frequency control of medium-voltage high-power industrial AC drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 4215,4224, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2217717
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J.O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, "Multilevel voltage-source-converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2945, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- E. Lee and K-B Lee, "Fault-tolerant strategy to control a reverse matrix converter for open-switch faults in the rectifier stage," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 57-65, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.57
- Z. Ji, J. Zhao, Y. Sun, X. Yao, and Z. Zhu, "Fault-tolerant control of cascaded H-bridge converters using double zero-sequence voltage injection and DC voltage optimization," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 946-956, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.5.946
- P. Garg, S. Essakiappan, H. S. Krishnamoorthy, and P. N. Enjeti, "A fault-tolerant three-phase adjustable speed drive topology with active common-mode voltage suppression," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2828-2839, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2361905
- M. Popat, B. Wu, and N. R. Zargari, "Fault ride-through capability of cascaded current-source converter-based offshore wind farm," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 314-323, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2223246
- M. Lin, Y-H. Li, L. Qu, C. Wu, and G-Q. Yuan, "Fault detection of a proposed three-level inverter based on a weighted kernel principal component analysis," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.182-189, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.182
- U.-M. Choi, K.-B. Lee, and F. Blaabjerg, "Diagnosis and tolerant strategy of an open-switch fault for T-type three-level inverter systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 495-508, Jan./Feb. 2014.
- W.-S. Im, J.-S. Kim, J.-M. Kim, D.-C. Lee, and K.-B. Lee, "Diagnosis methods for IGBT open switch fault applied to 3-phase AC/DC PWM converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 120-127, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.1.120
- S. Khomfoi, W. Sae-Kok, and I. Ngamroo, "An Open Circuit Fault Diagnostic Technique in IGBTs for AC to DC Converters Applied in Microgrid Applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 801-810, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.6.801
- U.-M. Choi, F. Blaabjerg, and K.-B. Lee, "Reliability improvement of a T-type three-level inverter with fault-tolerant control strategy," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2660-2673, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2325891
- C. Zhang, J. Zheng, J. Mei, K. Deng, and F. Zhou, "Control method for fault-tolerant active power filters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.796-805, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.796
- J-S. Lee and K-B. Lee, "Tolerance control for the inner open-switch faults of a T-type three-level rectifier," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1157-1165, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1157
- E. Monmasson, L. Idkhajine, and M. W. Naouar, "FPGA-based controllers," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 14-26, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2011.940250
- M. Shahbazi, P. Poure, S. Saadate, and M. R. Zolghadri, "FPGA-based fast detection with reduced sensor count for a fault-tolerant three-phase converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 3360-3371, Aug. 2013.
- M. Salehifar, R. S. Arashloo, M. M. Eguilaz, and V. Sala, "FPGA based robust open transistor fault diagnosis and fault tolerant sliding mode control of five-phase PM motor drives," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.131-145, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.131
- P. Lezana, J. Rodriguez, R. Aguilera, and C. Silva, "Fault detection on multicell converter based on output voltage frequency analysis," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 2275-2283, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2013845
- S. Khomfoi and L. Tolbert, "Fault diagnosis and reconfiguration for multilevel inverter drive using AI-based techniques," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2954-2968, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.906994
- A. Yazdani, H. Sepahvand, M. L. Crow, and M. Ferdowsi, "Fault detection and mitigation in multilevel converter STATCOMs," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1307-1315, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2050415
- M. Shahbazi, M. R. Zolghadri, P. Poure, and S. Saadate, "Fast short circuit power switch fault detection in cascaded H-bridge multilevel converter," in Proc. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (PES), pp. 1-5, 2013.
- P. Lezana, J. Pou, T. A. Meynard, J. Rodriguez, S. Ceballos, and F. Richardeau, "Survey on fault operation on multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2207-2218, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2032194
- S. Ouni, N. Noroozi, M. Shahbazi, M. R. Zolghadri, and H. Oraee, "A new fault tolerant scheme for cascaded H-bridge multilevel converter," in Proc. IEEE EPECS, pp. 1-5, 2013.
- K. Kandasamy, M. Vilathgamuwa, and K. J. Tseng, "Inter-module state-of-charge balancing and fault-tolerant operation of cascaded H-bridge converter using multi-dimensional modulation for electric vehicle application," IET Power Electron., Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 1912-1919, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0943
- M. Aleenejad, H. Iman-Eini, and S. Farhangi, "Modified space vector modulation for fault-tolerant operation of multilevel cascaded H-bridge inverters," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 742-751, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0543
- H. Iman-Eini, S. Farhangi, J. L. Schanen, and M. Khakbazan-Fard, "A fault-tolerant control strategy for cascaded H-bridge multilevel rectifiers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 34-42, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.1.034
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, B. Wu, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, "Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- Y. Cheng, C. Qian, M. L. Crow, S. Pekarek, and S. Atcitty, "A comparison of diode-clamped and cascaded multilevel converters for a STATCOM with energy storage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 1512-1521, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.882022
- J. Clare, "Advanced power converters for universal and flexible power management in future electricity networks," in Proc. 13th EPE, pp. 1-29, 2009.
- E. Villanueva, P. Correa, J. Rodriguez, and M. Pacas, "Control of a single-phase cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter for grid-connected photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 11, pp. 4399-4406, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2029579
- M. Carpita, M. Marchesoni, M. Pellerin, and D. Moser, "Multilevel converter for traction applications: Small-scale prototype tests results," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 2203-2212, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918645
- D. Gritter, S. S. Kalsi, and N. Henderson, "Variable speed electric drive options for electric ships," in Proc. IEEE Elect. Ship Technol. Symp., pp. 347-354, 2005.
- B. Wu, High-Power Converters and AC Drives, New York: Wiley-IEEE Press, 2006.
- R. L. Burden, and J. D. Faires, Numerical Analysis. Boston: Brooks/Cole Press, 2013.