- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Predictive Current Control for Multilevel Cascaded H-Bridge Inverters Based on a Deadbeat Solution
- Qi, Chen (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University) ;
- Tu, Pengfei (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University) ;
- Wang, Peng (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University) ;
- Zagrodnik, Michael (Advanced Technology Centre, Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte. Ltd.)
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.09.13
- Published : 2017.01.20
Finite-set predictive current control (FS-PCC) is advantageous for power converters due to its high dynamic performance and has received increasing interest in multilevel inverters. Among multilevel inverter topologies, the cascaded H-bridge (CHB) inverter is popular and mature in the industry. However, a main drawback of FS-PCC is its large computational burden, especially for the application of CHB inverters. In this paper, an FS-PCC method based on a deadbeat solution for three-phase zero-common-mode-voltage CHB inverters is proposed. In the proposed method, an inverse model of the load is utilized to calculate the reference voltage based on the reference current. In addition, a cost function is directly expressed in the terms of the voltage errors. An optimal control actuation is selected by minimizing the cost function. In the proposed method, only three instead of all of the control actuations are used for the calculations in one sampling period. This leads to a significant reduction in computations. The proposed method is tested on a three-phase 5-level CHB inverter. Simulation and experimental results show a very similar and comparable control performance from the proposed method compared with the traditional FS-PCC method which evaluates the cost function for all of the control actuations.
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)
- H. Abu-Rub, J. Holtz, J. Rodriguez, and B. Ge, "Medium-voltage multilevel converters-state of the art, challenges, and requirements in industrial applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp.2581-2596, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2043039
- M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, and M. A. Perez, "A survey on cascaded multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2197-2206, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030767
- C. Lee, B. Wang, S. Chen, S. Chou, J. Huang, P. Cheng, H. Akagi, and P. Barbosa, "Average power balancing control of a STATCOM based on the cascaded h-bridge PWM converter with star configuration," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., Vol. 50, No. 6, pp.3893-3901, Nov./Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2312618
- S. Essakiappan, H. Krishnamoorthy, P. Enjeti, R. Balog, and S. Ahmed, "Multilevel medium-frequency link inverter for utility scale photovoltaic integration," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 7, pp. 3674-3684, Jul. 2015 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2350978
- L. Maharjan, T. Yamagishi, H. Akagi, and J. Asakura, "Fault-tolerant operation of a battery-energy-storage system based on a multilevel cascade PWM converter with star configuration," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 2386-2396, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2047407
- A. S.-Ruiz, M. Mazuela, S. Alvarez, G. Abad, and I. Baraia, "Medium voltage-high power converter Topologies comparison procedure, for a 6.6 kV drive application using 4.5 kV IGBT modules," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 1462-1476, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2162213
- J. Chavarria, D. Biel, F. Guinjoan, C. Meza, and J. Negroni, "Energy-balance control of PV cascaded multilevel grid-connected inverters under level-shifted and phase-shifted PWMs," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 98-111, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2186108
- J. Rodriguez and P. Cortes, Predictive Control of Power Converters and Electrical Drivers, 1st ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012.
- J. Rodriguez, M. P. Kazmierkowski, J. R. Espinoza, P. Zanchetta, H. Abu-Rub, H. A. Young, and C. A. Rojas, "State of the art of finite control set model predictive control in power electronics," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 1003-1016, May. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2221469
- W. Xie, X. Wang, F. Wang, W.Xu, R. M. Kennel, D. Gerling, and R. D. Lorenz, "Finite-control-set model predictive torque control with a deadbeat solution for pmsm drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 9, pp. 5402-5410, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2410767
- S. Kwak, S.-E. Kim, and J.-C.l Park, "Predictive current control methods with reduced current errors and ripples for single-phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 1006-1016, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2015.2463757
- S. Kwak, U.-C. Moon, and J.-C. Park, "Predictive-control-based direct power control with an adaptive parameter identification technique for improved AFE performance," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 6178-6187, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2298041
- P. Karamanakos, K. Pavlou, and S. Manias, "An enumeration-based model predictive control strategy for the cascaded h-bridge multilevel rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 7, pp. 3480-3489, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2278965
- R. O. Ramirez, J. R. Espinoza, P. E. Melin, M. E. Reyes, E. E. Espinosa, C. Silva, E. Maurelia, "Predictive controller for a three-phase/single-phase voltage source converter cell," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 1878-1889, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2332062
- A. Fernandez, P. Rodriguez, G. Escobar, C. Pozos, and J. Sosa, "A model-based controller for the cascade h-bridge multilevel converter used as a shunt active filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 5019-5028, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2218558
- L. Tarisciotti, P. Zanchetta, A. Watson, S. Bifaretti, and J. C. Clare, "Modulated model predictive control for a seven-level cascaded h-bridge back-to-back converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 10, pp. 5375-5384, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2300056
- C. D. Townsend, T. J. Summers, and R. E. Betz, "Multigoal heuristic model predictive control technique applied to a cascaded h-bridge statcom," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1191-1200, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2165854
- P. Zanchetta, D. B. Gerry, V. G. Monopoli, J. C. Clare, and P. W. Wheeler, "Predictive current control for multilevel active rectifiers with reduced switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 163-172, Jan. 2008 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.903939
- P. Cortes, A. Wilson, S. Kouro, J. Rodriguez, and H. Abu-Rub, "Model predictive control of multilevel cascaded h-bridge inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2691-2699, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2041733
- C. A. Rojas, S. Kouro, R. Ruiz, S. Rivera, B. Wu, and X. Guo, "Multiobjective predictive control of a three-phase seven-level cascaded h-bridge converter for grid-connected photovoltaic systems," in Proc. ISIE, pp. 1121-1126, 2015.
- A. Wilson, P. Cortes, S. Kouro, J. Rodriguez and H. Abu-Rub, "Model predictive control for cascaded h-bridge multilevel inverters with even power distribution," in Proc. ICIT, pp. 1271-1276, 2010.
- S. Kwak, and J.-C. Park, "Switching strategy based on model predictive control of VSI to obtain high efficiency and balanced loss distribution," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 4551-4567, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2286407
- S. Kwak, and J.-C. Park, "Predictive control method with future zero-sequence voltage to reduce switching losses in three-phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1558-1566, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304719
- S. Kwak, and S.-k. Mun, "Model predictive control methods to reduce common-mode voltage for three-phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 9, pp.5019-5035, Sep. 2015 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2362762
- H.-T. Moon, H.-S. Kim, and M.-J. Youn, "A discrete-time predictive current control for pmsm," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 464-472, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807131
- R. P. Aguilera and D. E. Quevedo, "On stability and performance of finite control set mpc for power converters," in Proc. PRECEDE, 2011.
- R. P. Aguilera and D. E. Quevedo, "Predictive control of power converters: designs with guaranteed performance," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 53-63, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2363933