- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A New Active Zero State PWM Algorithm for Reducing the Number of Switchings
- Yun, Sang-Won (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Baik, Jae-Hyuk (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Sik (Department of Electrical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Yoo, Ji-Yoon (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2017.01.20
To reduce common-mode voltage (CMV), various reduced CMV pulse width modulation (RCMV-PWM) algorithms have been proposed, including active zero state PWM (AZSPWM) algorithms, remote state PWM (RSPWM) algorithms, and near state PWM (NSPWM) algorithms. Among these algorithms, AZSPWM algorithms can reduce CMV, but they increase the number of switchings compared to the conventional space vector PWM (CSVPWM). This paper presents a new AZSPWM algorithm for reductions in both the CMV and total number of switchings in BLAC motor drives. Since the proposed AZSPWM algorithm uses only active voltage vectors for motor control, it reduces CMV by 1/3 compared to CSVPWM. The proposed AZSPWM algorithm also reduces the total number of switchings compared to existing AZSPWM algorithms by eliminating the switchings required from one sector to the next. The performance of the proposed algorithm is verified by analyses, simulations, and experimental results.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- C. Jettanasen, "Analysis of conducted electromagnetic interference generated by PWM inverter Fed-AC motor drive," in Proc. IEEE ICEMS, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- M. A. Jabbar and M. A. Rahman, "Radio frequency interference of electric motor and associated controls," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 27-31, Jan./Feb. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.67528
- A. L. Julian, T. A. Lipo, G. Oriti, and C. Jettanasen, "Elimination of common-mode voltage in three-phase sinusoidal power converters," in Proc. IEEE PESC, Vol. 2, pp. 1968-1972, 1996.
- Y. Murai, T. Kubota, and Y. Kawase, "Leakage current reduction for a high-frequency carrier inverter feeding an induction motor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 858-863, Jul./Aug. 1992.
- D. A. Rendusara and P. N. Enjeti, "An improved inverter output filter configuration reduces common and differential modes dv/dt at the motor terminals in PWM drive systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 1135-1143, Nov. 1998.
- Honffei Ma, Dianguo Xu, and Lijie Miao, "Suppression techniques of common-mode voltage generated by voltage source PWM inverter," in Proc. IEEE IPEMC, Vol. 3, pp. 1533-1538, 2004.
- G. Oriti, A. L. Julian, and T. A. Lipo, "A new space vector modulation strategy for common mode voltage reduction," in Proc. IEEE PESC, pp. 1541-1546, 1997.
- Y. S. Lai and F. S. Shyu, "Optimal common-mode voltage reduction PWM technique for inverter control with consideration of the dead-time effects-part I," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 1605-1612, Nov./Dec. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.836149
- Y. S. Lai, P. S. Chen, H. K. Lee, and J. Chou, "Optimal common-mode voltage reduction PWM technique for inverter control with consideration of the dead-time effects-part II," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 1613-1620, Nov./Dec. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.836151
- Y. V. Siva Reddy, T. B. Reddy, and M. V. Kumar, "A new space vector pulsewidth modulation for reduction of common mode voltage in direct torque controlled induction motor drive," in Proc. IEEE PEDES, pp. 1-5, 2006.
- L. H Kim, N. K Hahm, W. C. Lee, J. S. Yu, Y. C. Kim, C. Y. Won, and Y. R. Kim, "Analysis of a new PWM Method for conducted EMI reduction in a field oriented controlled induction motor," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 204-210, 2006.
- E. un and A. M. Hava, "A high performance PWM algorithm for common mode voltage reduction in three-phase voltage source inverters," in Proc. IEEE PESC, pp. 1528-1534, 2008.
- S. M. Ali, V. V. Reddy, and M. S. Kalavathi, "Simplified active zero state PWM algorithms for vector controlled induction motor drives for reduced common mode voltage," in Proc. IEEE ICRAIE, pp. 1-7, 2014.
- Ahmet M. Hava, and Emre Un, "Performance analysis of reduced common-mode voltage PWM methods and comparison with standard PWM methods for three-phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 241-252, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005719
- W. Hofmann and J. Zitzelsberger, "PWM-control methods for common mode voltage minimization-A survey," in Proc. IEEE SPEEDAM, pp. 1162-1167, 2006.
- C-. C. Hou, C-. C. Shih, P-. T. Cheng, and A. M. Hava, "Common-mode voltage reduction pulsewidth modulation techniques for three-phase grid-connected converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1971-1979, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2196712
- H. D. Lee, S. K. Sul, "A common mode voltage reduction in boost rectifier/inverter system by shifting active voltage vector in a control period," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1094-1101, Nov. 2000.