- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Improved Switching Topology for Single Phase Multilevel Inverter with Capacitor Voltage Balancing Technique
- Ponnusamy, Rajan Soundar (Dept. of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, PSNA College of Engineering & Technology) ;
- Subramaniam, Manoharan (Dept. of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Karpagam College of Engineering) ;
- Irudayaraj, Gerald Christopher Raj (Dept. of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, PSNA College of Engineering & Technology) ;
- Mylsamy, Kaliamoorthy (Dept. of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering & Technology)
- Received : 2016.06.07
- Accepted : 2016.11.02
- Published : 2017.01.20
This paper presents a new cascaded asymmetrical single phase multilevel converter with a reduced number of isolated DC sources and power semiconductor switches. The proposed inverter has only two H-bridges connected in cascade, one switching at a high frequency and the other switching at a low frequency. The Low Switching Frequency Inverter (LSFI) generates seven levels whereas the High Switching Frequency Inverter (HSFI) generates only two levels. This paper also presents a solution to the capacitor balancing issues of the LSFI. The proposed inverter has lot of advantages such as reductions in the number of DC sources, switching losses, power electronic devices, size and cost. The proposed inverter with a capacitor voltage balancing algorithm is simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK. The switching logic of the proposed inverter with a capacitor voltage balancing algorithm is developed using a FPGA SPATRAN 3A DSP board. A laboratory prototype is built to validate the simulation results.
- A. Matsa, I. Ahmed, and M. A. Chaudhari, "Optimized space vector pulse-width modulation technique for a five-level cascaded H-bridge inverter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 937-945, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.5.937
- N. S. Choi, J. G. Cho, and G. H. Cho, "A general circuit topology of multilevel inverter," in 22nd Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 96-103, Jun. 1991.
- S. Ogasawara and H. Akagi, "Analysis of variation of neutral point potential in neutral-point-clamped voltage source PWM inverters," in IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, pp. 965-970, Oct. 1993.
- M. Kaliamoorthy and V. Rajasekaran, "A novel MPPT scheme for solar powered boost inverter using evolutionary programming," in International Conference on Recent Advancements in Electrical, Electronics and Control Engineering (ICONRAEeCE), Dec. 2011.
- B. R. Lin, H. K. Chiang, and S. L. Wang, "Interleaved ZVS DC/DC converter with balanced input capacitor voltages for High-voltage applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 661-670, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.661
- R. W. Menzies, P. Steimer, and J. K. Steinke, "Five-level GTO inverters for large induction motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 938-944, Jul./Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.297910
- A. Nabae, I. Takahashi, and H. Akagi, "A new neutral-point-clamped PWM inverter industry applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-17, No. 5, pp. 518-523, Sep. 1981.
- M. Kaliamoorthy, S. Himavathi, and A. Muthuramalingam, "DSP based implementation of high performance flux estimators for speed sensorless induction motor drives using TMS320F2812," in India International Conference on Power Electronics (IICPE), Dec. 2006.
- M. Kaliamoorthy, V. Rajasekaran, and I. G. C. Raj, "Single-phase fifteen-level grid-connected inverter for photovoltaic system with evolutionary programming based MPPT algorithm," Solar Energy, Vol. 105, pp. 314-329, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.03.031
- M. Kaliamoorthy, V. Rajasekaran, I. G. C. Raj, and L. H. T. Raj, "Experimental validation of a cascaded single phase H-bridge inverter with a simplified switching algorithm," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 507-518, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.507
- E. Babaei, S. Laali, and Z. Bayat, "A single-phase cascaded multilevel inverter based on a new basic unit with reduced number of power switches," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 922-929, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2336601
- E. Babaei, S. Laali, and S. Alilu, "Cascaded multilevel inverter with series connection of novel H-Bridge basic units," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 12, pp. 6664-6671, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2316264
- M. Kaliamoorthy, V. Rajasekaran, I. G. C. Raj, and L. H. T. Raj, "Generalised hybrid switching topology for a single-phase modular multilevel inverter," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, pp. 2472-2485, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0847
- A. Nami, F. Zare, A. Ghosh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Multi-output DC-DC converters based on diode-clamped converters configuration: topology and control strategy," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 197-208, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0341
- J. N. Reddy, M. K. Moorthy, and D. V. A. Kumar. "Control of grid connected PV cell distributed generation systems," in IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), pp. 1-6, Nov. 2008.
- M. Venturini, "A new sine wave in, sine wave out, conversion technique eliminates reactive elements," in Proceedings of POWERCON, pp. E3:1-E3:15, 1980.
- P. W. Wheeler and D. A. Grant, "A low loss matrix converter for AC variable-speed drives," in 5th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 27-32, Sep. 1993.
- N. A. Rahim and J. Selvaraj, "Multistring five-level inverter with novel PWM control scheme for PV application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 6, pp. 2111-2123, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2034683
- S.-J. Park, F.-S. Kang, M. H. Lee, and C.-U. Kim, "A new single-phase five-level PWM inverter employing a deadbeat control scheme," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 831-843, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810837
- N. A. Rahim, J. Selvaraj, and C. Krismadinata, "Five-level inverter with dual reference modulation technique for grid-connected PV system," Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 712-720, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.08.021
- Evaluation of Impedance network Based 7-Level Switched Capacitor Multi Level Inverter for Single Phase Grid Integrated System pp.2250-2114, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40031-018-0348-2