- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Improved Pre-charging Method for MMC-Based HVDC Systems Operated in Nearest Level Control
- Kim, Kyo-Min (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hyuk (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Kim, Do-Hyun (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Han, Byung-Moon (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Young (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University)
- Received : 2016.08.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.11
- Published : 2017.01.20
Recently the researches on modular multi-level converter (MMC) are being highlighted because high quality and efficient power transmission have become key issues in high voltage direct current (HVDC) systems. This paper proposes an improved pre-charging method for the sub-module (SM) capacitor of MMC-based HVDC systems, which operates in the nearest level control (NLC) modulation and does not need additional circuits or pulse width modulation (PWM) techniques. The feasibility of the proposed method was verified through computer simulations for a scaled 3-phase 10kVA MMC with 12 SMs per each arm. Hardware experiments with a scaled prototype have also been performed in the lab to confirm the simulation results.
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)
- G. Bergna, E. Berne, P. Egrot, P. Lefranc, A. Arzande, J.-C. Vannier, and M. Molinas, "An energy-based controller for HVDC modular multilevel converter in decoupled double synchronous reference frame for voltage oscillation reduction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 2360-2371, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2225397
- E. Solas, G. Abad, J. A. Barrena, S. Aurtenetxea, A. Carcar, and L. Zajac, "Modular multilevel converter with different submodule concepts - Part II: experimental validation and comparison for HVDC application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 4536-4545, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2211431
- S. Rohner, S. Bernet, M. Hiller, and R. Sommer, "Modulation, losses, and semiconductor requirements of modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2633-2642, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031187
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani; "Dynamic performance of a modular multilevel back-to-back HVDC system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2903-2912, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050787
- M. Glinka, "Prototype of multiphase modular-multilevelconverter with 2 MW power rating and 17-level-outputvoltage," in IEEE 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 2572-2576, Jun. 2004.
- M. Hagiwara and H. Akagi, "PWM control and experiment of modular multilevel converters," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 154-161, Jun. 2008.
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range," in IEEE Bologna Power Tech Conference Proceedings, Jun. 2003.
- S. Allebrod, R. Hamerski, and R. Marquardt, "New transformerless, scalable modular multilevel converters for HVDC-transmission," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 174-179, Jun. 2008.
- A. Antonopoulos, L. Angquist, and H.-P. Nee, "On dynamics and voltage control of the modular multilevel converter," in 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), pp. 1-10, Sep. 2009.
- K. Ilves, A. Antonopoulos, S. Norrga, and H.-P. Nee, "A new modulation method for the modular multilevel converter allowing fundamental switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 3482-3494, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2185832
- Q. Tu, Z. Xu, and L. Xu; "Reduced switching-frequency modulation and circulating current suppression for modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 2009-2017, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2115258
- H. Saad, X. Guillaud, J. Mahseredjian, S. Dennetiere, and S. Nguefeu, "MMC capacitor voltage decoupling and balancing controls," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 704-712, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2338861
- Z. Wang, A. Zhang, H. Zhang, C. Zhang, and Y. Bai, "Control strategy for modular multilevel converters in sub-module fault state," in IEEE 10th Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), pp. 369-374, Jun. 2015.
- R. Marquardt and A. Lesnicar, "New concept for high voltage-modular multilevel converter," in Proceedings of IEEE PESC, pp. 1-5, 2004.
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range," in IEEE Bologna Power Tech Conference Proceedings, pp. 1-6, Jun. 2003.
- J. Xu, C. Zhao, B. Zhang, and L. Lu, "New precharge and submodule capacitor voltage balancing topologies of modular multilevel converter for VSC-HVDC application," in Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), pp. 1-4, Mar. 2011.
- A. Das, H. Nademi, and L. Norum, "A method for charging and discharging capacitors in modular multilevel converter," in 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electonics Society (IECON), pp. 1058-1062, Nov. 2011.
- K. Shi, F. Shen, D. Lv, P. Lin, M. Chen, and D. Xu; "A novel start-up scheme for modular multilevel converter," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 4180-4187, Sep. 2012.
- X. Shi, B. Liu, Z. Wang, Y. Li, L. M. Tolbert, and F. Wang, "Modelling, control design, and analysis of a startup scheme for modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 11, pp. 7009-7024, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2436354
- P. Hu and D. Jiang; "A level-increased nearest level modulation method for modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1836-1842, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2325875