- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Hierarchical Model Predictive Voltage Control for NPC/H-Bridge Converters with a Reduced Computational Burden
- Gong, Zheng (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology) ;
- Dai, Peng (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology) ;
- Wu, Xiaojie (School of Information and Electrical Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology) ;
- Deng, Fujin (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University) ;
- Liu, Dong (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University) ;
- Chen, Zhe (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University)
- Received : 2016.07.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.21
- Published : 2017.01.20
In recent years, voltage source multilevel converters are very popular in medium/high-voltage industrial applications, among which the NPC/H-Bridge converter is a popular solution to the medium/high-voltage drive systems. The conventional finite control set model predictive control (FCS-MPC) strategy is not practical for multilevel converters due to their substantial calculation requirements, especially under high number of voltage levels. To solve this problem, a hierarchical model predictive voltage control (HMPVC) strategy with referring to the implementation of g-h coordinate space vector modulation (SVM) is proposed. By the hierarchical structure of different cost functions, load currents can be controlled well and common mode voltage can be maintained at low values. The proposed strategy could be easily expanded to the systems with high number of voltage levels while the amount of required calculation is significantly reduced and the advantages of the conventional FCS-MPC strategy are reserved. In addition, a HMPVC-based field oriented control scheme is applied to a drive system with the NPC/H-Bridge converter. Both steady-state and transient performances are evaluated by simulations and experiments with a down-scaled NPC/H-Bridge converter prototype under various conditions, which validate the proposed HMPVC strategy.
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. pou, L. G. Franquelo, B. Wu, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, "Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J. O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, "Multilevel voltage-source-converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2944, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- S. Xu, and F. He, "The optimized design of a NPC three-level inverter forced-air cooling system based on dynamic power-loss calculations of the maximum power-loss range," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 1598-1611, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.4.1598
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani, "Dynamic performance of a modular multilevel back-to-back HVDC system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2903-2912, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050787
- J. Choi, and B. Han, "An improved phase-shifted carrier PWM for modular multilevel converters with redundancy sub-modules," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 473-479, Mar. 2016 https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.473
- P.H. Henning, H.D. Fuchs, A.D. Le Roux and H.D. du T.Mouton, "A 1.5-MW seven-cell series-stacked converter as an active power filter and regeneration converter for a DC traction substation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 2230-2236, Sept. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2001882
- H. Akagi, "Classification, terminology, and application of the modular multilevel cascade converter (MMCC)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3119-3130, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2143431
- A. K. Sahoo, and N. Mohan, "High frequency link multi-winding power electronic transformer using modular multilevel converter for renewable energy integration," in Proc. IECON 2014 - 40th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 4642-4648, 2014.
- H. Akagi, "Design and Control of a Modular Multilevel DC/DC Converter for Regenerative Applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 3970-3979, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2231702
- D.A. Rendusara, E. Cengelci, P.N. Enjeti, V.R. Stefanovic, R. Victor, and J.W. Gray, "Analysis of common mode voltage - neutral shift in medium voltage PWM adjustable speed drive (MV-ASD) systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6281-6292, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2302081
- L. Sun, L. Z. Wu. W. Ma, X. Fei, X Cai, and L Zhou, "Analysis of the DC-link capacitor current of power cells in cascaded H-Bridge inverters for high-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6281-6292, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2302081
- J. Lee, K. Lee, and F, Blaabjerg, "Open-switch fault detection method of a back-to-back converter using NPC topology for wind turbine systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 325-335, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2327151
- A. Sanchez-Ruiz, M. Mazuela, S. Alvarez, G. Abad, and I. Baraia, "Medium voltage-high power converter topologies comparison procedure, for a 6.6 kV drive application using 4.5 kV IGBT modules," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- C. M. Wu, W. H. Lau, and H. Chung, "A five-level neutral-point-clamped H-bridge PWM inverter with superior harmonic suppression: a theoretical analysis," in Proc. 1999 IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits and Systems, Vol. 5, pp. 198-201, 1999.
- B. Wu, High-Power Converters and AC Drives. Wiley, New York, NY, USA: 2006.
- ACS5000 Medium Voltage Drive. ABB Ltd. Switzerland, 2015.
- J. P. Lyons, V. Vlatkovic, P. M. Espelange, A. A. M. Esser, and F. F. Want, "Five-level high power motor drive converter and control system," U.S. Patent 06 058 031, May, 2000.
- Y. Deng, L. Y. Wang, K.H. Teo, and R. G. Harley, "A simplified space vector modulation scheme for multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1873-1886, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2429595
- Y. Deng, K. H. Teo, K. H. C. Duan, T. G. Habetler, and R. G. Harley, "A fast and generalized space vector modulation scheme for multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 5204-5217, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2293734
- A. Ovalle and G. Ramos, "Space vector pulse-width modulation scheme for multilevel voltage inverters with duty cycle calculation based on relative vector distances," IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 829-839, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0297
- S. Wei, B. Wu, and Q. Wang, "An improved space vector PWM control algorithm for multilevel inverters," in Proc. 4th Int. Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf. (IPEMC 2004), Vol. 4, pp. 1124-1129, 2004.
- Z. Cheng, and B. Wu, "A novel switching sequence design for five-level NPC/H-Bridge inverters with improved output voltage spectrum and minimized device switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 2138-2145, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.909244
- D. Casadei, and F. Profumo, G. Serra, and A. Tani, "FOC and DTC: Two viable schemes for induction motors torque control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 779-787, Sept. 2002.
- J. Rodriguez and P. Cortes, Predictive Control of Power Converters and Electrical Drives. Wiley, New York, NY, USA: 2012.
- P. Cortes, A. Wilson, S. Kouro, J. Rodriguez, and H. Abu-Rub, "Model predictive control of multilevel cascaded H-Bridge inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2691-2699, Aug, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2041733
- Z. Gong, P. Dai, X. Yuan, X. Wu and G. Guo, "Design and experimental evaluation of fast model predictive control for modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 6, pp. 3845-3856, Jun, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2497254
- T. J. Vyncke, S. Thielemans, and J. A. Melkebeek, "Finite-set model-based predictive control for flying-capacitor converters: cost function design and efficient FPGA implementation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 1113-1121, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2223707
- P. L. Jansen, R. G. Lorenz, and D. W. Novotny, "Observer-based direct field orientation: analysis and comparison of alternative methods," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 945-953, Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.297911
- A Method for the Simultaneous Suppression of DC Capacitor Fluctuations and Common-Mode Voltage in a Five-Level NPC/H Bridge Inverter vol.12, pp.5, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12050779