- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Direct Torque Control of Five-leg Dual-PMSM Drive Systems for Fault-tolerant Purposes
- Wang, Wei (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Zhang, Jinghao (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Cheng, Ming (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Cao, Ruiwu (College of Automation Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.10.19
- Published : 2017.01.20
To enhance the reliability of two-motor drive systems, this paper proposes an improved direct torque control (DTC) scheme (P-DTC) for five-leg dual-PMSM drive systems. First, the topology of a five-leg dual-PMSM drive system is illustrated. To clarify the analysis of the P-DTC, the standard DTC scheme for three-phase drive systems is presented. The operation of a five-leg dual-PMSM drive system is classified into three situations according to the definitions of the switching-vector unions. Compared with the existing DTC scheme (R-DTC), the P-DTC can minimize the replacement of active switching-vectors to zero switching-vectors. When this replacement cannot be avoided, the P-DTC uses a proposed master-slave selection principle to minimize the system error. Comparing with the R-DTC, the P-DTC has lower torque ripples, a wider speed range and a faster torque increasing response. Experiments have been carried out in the coupling and independent modes, and the effectiveness of the P-DTC is verified by the obtained results.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Jiangsu Natural Science Foundation of China, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, Central Universities
- M. Cheng, W. Hua, J. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "Overview of stator-permanent magnet brushless machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 5087-5101, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2123853
- T. M. Jahns and W. L. Soong, "Pulsating torque minimization techniques for permanent magnet AC motor drives-a review," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 321-330, Apr. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.491356
- K. T. Chau, C. C. Chan, and C. H. Liu, "Overview of permanent-magnet brushless drives for electric and hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2246-2257, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918403
- T. Qiu, X. Wen, and F. Zhao, "Adaptive-linear-neuronbased dead-time effects compensation scheme for PMSM drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 2530-2538, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2427914
- Z. Tang, X. Li, S. Dusmez, and B. Akin, "A new V/f-based sensorless MTPA control for IPMSM drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 4400-4415, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2470177
- W. Wang, J. Zhang and M. Cheng, "Fault-tolerant control of dual three-phase permanent-magnet synchronous machine drives under open phase faults," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 2052-2063, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2559498
- W. Wang, A. Bouscayrol, and M. Cheng, "Comparison of two different traction systems for subway application using Energetic Macroscopic Representation," in VPPC, pp. 984-989, 2012.
- J. O. Estima and A. J. M. Cardoso, "A fault-tolerant permanent magnet synchronous motor drive with integrated voltage source inverter open-circuit faults diagnosis," in Proc. EPE, pp. 1-10, 2011.
- X. Pei, S. Nie, and Y. Kang, "Switch short-circuit fault diagnosis and remedial strategy for full-bridge DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 996-1004, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2310201
- B. Ji, X. Song, W. Cao, V. Pickert, Y. Hu, J. W. Mackersie, and G. Pierce, "In situ diagnostics and prognositics of solder fatigue in IGBT modules for electric vehicle drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1535-1543, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2318991
- J. Choi, S. Kim, S. Y. Dong, and K. Kim, "A diagnostic method of simultaneous open-switch faults in inverter-fed linear induction motor drive for reliability enhancement," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 7, pp. 4065-4077, Jul. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2385044
- B. Gou, X. Ge, S. Wang, X. Feng, J. B. Kuo, and T. G. Habetler, "An open-switch fault diagnosis method for single-phase PWM rectifier using a model-based approach in high-speed railway electrical traction drive system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 3816-3826, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2465299
- F. Wu and J. Zhao, "A real-time multiple open-circuit fault diagnosis method in voltage-source-inverter fed vector controlled drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 1425-1437, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2422131
- B. Mirafzal, "Survey of fault-tolerance techniques for three-phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 10, pp. 5192-5202, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2301712
- T. Kamel, Y. Biletskiy and L. Chang, "Real-time diagnosis for open-circuited and unbalance faults in electronic converters connected to residential wind systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 1781-1792, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2498903
- S. Nie, X. Pei, Y. Chen, and Y. Kang, "Fault diagnosis of PWM DC-DC converters based on magnetic component voltages equation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 4978-4988, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2283881
- Q. An, L. Sun and L. Z. Sun, "Current residual vector-based open-switch fault diagnosis of inverters in PMSM drive systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2814-2827, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2360834
- W. Wang, M. Cheng, B. Zhang, Y. Zhu, and S. Ding, "A fault-tolerant permanent-magnet traction module for subway applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1646-1658, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2266377
- K. Oka, Y. Nozawa, and K. Matsuse, "Improved method of voltage utility factor for PWM control method of five-leg inverter," in PESC, pp. 1-5, 2006.
- M. Jones, S. N. Vukosavic, D. Dujic, E. Levi, and P. Wright, "Five-leg inverter PWM technique for reduced switch count two-motor constant power applications," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 275-287, Sep. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20070497
- M. Hizume, S. Yokomizo, and K. Matsuse, "Independent vector control of parallel connected two induction motors by a five-leg inverter," in EPE, pp. 1-7, 2003.
- W. Wang, J. Zhang, and M. Cheng, "A dual-level hysteresis current control for one five-leg VSI to control two PMSMs," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 804-814, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2535294
- P. Delarue, A. Bouscayrol, and E. Semail, "Generic control method of multi-leg voltage-source-converters for fast practical implementation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 517-526, Mar. 2003.
- C. S. Lim, E. Levi, M. Jones, N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "A comparative study of synchronous current control schemes based on FCS-MPC and PI-PWM for a two-motor three-phase drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3867-3878, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2286573
- C. S. Lim, N. A. Rahim, W. P. Hew, and E. Levi, "Model predictive control of a two-motor drive with five-leg-inverter supply," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 54-65, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2186770
- A. Khodadoost and A. Radan, "Novel comparative study between SVM, DTC and DTC-SVM in five-leg inverter to drive two motors independently," in Proc. PEDSTC, Tehran, Iran, 2013, pp. 1-7.
- G. S. Buja and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Direct torque control of PWM inverter-fed AC motors - A survey," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 744-757, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.831717
- L. Zhong, M. F. Rahman, W. Y. Hu, and K. W. Lim, "Analysis of direct torque control in permanent magnet synchronous motor drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 528-536, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.575680