- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design of a Hybrid Controller for the Three-phase Four-leg Voltage-source Inverter with Unbalanced Load
- Doan, Van-Tuan (Department of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Kim, Ki-Young (Department of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Choi, Woojin (Department of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Wook (Department of Economics, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2016.07.26
- Accepted : 2016.11.22
- Published : 2017.01.20
The three-phase four-leg voltage-source inverter topology is an interesting option for the three-phase four-wire system. With an additional leg, this topology can achieve superior performance under unbalanced and nonlinear load conditions. However, because of the low bandwidth of conventional controllers in high-power inverter applications, the system cannot guarantee a balanced output voltage under the unbalanced load condition. Most of the methods proposed to solve this problem mainly use the multiple synchronous frame method, which requires several controllers and a large amount of computation because of frame transformation. This study proposes a simple hybrid controller that combines proportional-integral (PI) and resonant controllers in the synchronous frame synchronized with the positive-sequence component of the output voltage of the three-phase four-leg inverter. The design procedure for the controller and the theoretical analysis are presented. The performance of the proposed method is verified by the experimental results and compared with that of the conventional PI controller.
Supported by : Soongsil University
- F. Zhang and Y. Yan, "Selective harmonic elimination PWM control scheme on a three-phase four-leg voltage source inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 7, pp. 1682-1689, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2014378
- M. V. M. Kumar and M. K. Mishra, "Three-leg inverter-based distribution static compensator topology for compensating unbalanced and non-linear loads," in IET Power Electron., Vol. 8, No. 11, pp. 2076-2084, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2015.0044
- M. Dai, M. N. Marwali, J. W. Jung, and A. Keyhani, "A three-phase four-wire inverter control technique for a single distributed generation unit in island mode," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 322-331, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.911816
- U. Borup, F. Blaabjerg, and P. N. Enjeti, "Sharing of nonlinear load in parallel-connected three-phase converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 1817-1823, Nov./Dec. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.968196
- M. N. Marwali, J.W. Jung, and A. Keyhani. "Control of Distributed Generation Systems Part II: Load Sharing," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 1551-1561, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.836634
- C. Hongbing, Z. Xing, L. Shengyong, and Y. Shuying, "Research on control strategies for distributed inverters in low voltage micro-grids," Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG), 2nd IEEE International Symposium on, pp. 748-752, 2010.
- X. Song, Y. Wang, W. Hu, and Z. Wang, "Three reference frame control scheme of 4-wire grid-connected inverter for microgrid under unbalanced grid voltage conditions," in Twenty-Fourth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, pp. 1301-1305, 2009.
- S. El-Barbari and W. Hofmann, "Digital control of a four leg inverter for standalone photovoltaic systems with unbalanced load," in Twenty-sixth Annual conference of IEEE, IECON, pp. 729-734, 2000.
- D. Vyawahare and M. Chandorkar, "Distributed generation system with hybrid inverter interfaces for unbalanced loads," 2015 IEEE 6th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG), Aachen, pp. 1-7, 2015.
- R. Kabiri, D. G. Holmes, and B. P. McGrath, "Control of distributed generation systems under unbalanced voltage conditions," Power Electronics Conference (IPECHiroshima 2014 - ECCE-ASIA), International, pp. 3306-3313, 2014.
- R. Zhang, V. H. Prasad, D. Boroyevich, and F. C. Lee, "Three-dimensional space vector modulation for four-leg voltage-source converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 314-326, May 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.1004239
- N. A. Priya and M. C. Mabel, "Control methods for four-leg voltage source inverter," International Conference: Devices, Circuits and Systems (ICDCS), pp. 44-48, 2012.
- E. Demirkutlu, S. Cetinkaya, and A. M. Hava, "Output voltage control of a four-leg inverter based three-phase UPS by means of stationary frame resonant filter banks," IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference IEMDC '07, pp. 880-885, 2007.
- T. Glasberger and Z. Peroutka, "Control of power supply unit for military vehicles based on four-leg three-phase VSI with proportional-resonant controllers," 13th Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference EPE-PEMC, pp. 1268-1273, 2008.
- H. Chen and J. Min, "Simulation research on the control strategy of three-phase four-leg inverter," International Conference Computer Application and System Modeling (ICCASM), pp. 602-606, 2010.
- Y. Hou Zhen and J. Sun, "Study on control strategy for three-phase four-leg inverter power supply," 30th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society IECON, pp. 805-809, 2004.
- R. Nasiri and A. Radan, "Pole-placement control strategy for 4-leg voltage-source inverters," 1st. Power Electronic & Drive Systems & Technologies Conference (PEDSTC), pp. 74-79, 2010.
- V. Yaramasu, J. Rodriguez, B. Wu, M. Rivera, A. Wilson, and C. Rojas, "A simple and effective solution for superior performance in two-level four-leg voltage source inverters: Predictive voltage control," IEEE International Symposium Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 3127-3132, 2010.
- R. A Gannett, J. C. Sozio, and D. Boroyevich, "Application of synchronous and stationary frame controllers for unbalanced and nonlinear load compensation in 4-leg inverters," Seventeenth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, APEC, pp. 1038-1043, 2002.
- K.-H. Kim, N.-J. Park, and D.-S. Hyun, "Advanced synchronous reference frame controller for three-phase UPS powering unbalanced and nonlinear loads," IEEE 36th Power Electronics Specialists Conference PESC '05, pp. 1699-1704, 2005.
- I. Vechiu, O. Curea, and H. Camblong, "Transient operation of a four-leg inverter for autonomous applications with unbalanced load," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., pp. 399-407, Feb. 2010.
- H. Ping and M. Behnke, "A three-phase synchronous frame controller for unbalanced load [invertor operation]," 29th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 1369-1374, 1998.
- I. Vechiu, O. Curea, H. Camblong, S. Ceballos, and J. L. Villate, "Digital control of a three-phase four-leg inverter under unbalanced voltage conditions," European Conference Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, 2007.
- R. I. Bojoi, G. Griva, V. Bostan, M. Guerriero, F. Farina, and F. Profumo, "Current control strategy for power conditioners using sinusoidal signal integrators in synchronous reference frame," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1402-1412, Nov. 2005.
- M. Liserre, R. Teodorescu, and F. Blaabjerg, "Multiple harmonics control for three-phase grid converter systems with the use of PI-RES current controller in a rotating frame," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 836-841, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.875566
- C. Lascu, L. Asiminoaei, I. Boldea, and F. Blaabjerg, "High performance current controller for selective harmonic compensation in active power filters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 1826-1835, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904060
- P. Mattavelli and S. Buso, Digital Control in Power Electronics, 1st ed., Morgan & Clay Pool Publisher, 2006.
- B. C. Choi, Fundamentals of PWM DC-to-DC Power Conversion, 2nd ed., Young Publishing Co., 2010.
- A. Prodic, D. Maksimovic, and R. W. Erickson, "Design and implementation of a digital PWM controller for a high-frequency switching DC-DC power converter," Industrial Electronics Society IECON, pp. 893-898, 2001.
- A. G. Yepes, F. D. Freijedo, J. Doval-Gandoy, O Lopez, J. Malvar, and P. Fernandez-Comesana, "Effects of discretization methods on the performance of resonant controllers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 1692-1712, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2041256
- Stand-Alone Microgrid Inverter Controller Design for Nonlinear, Unbalanced Load with Output Transformer vol.7, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics7040055