- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Kalman Filter based Predictive Direct Power Control Scheme to Mitigate Source Voltage Distortions in PWM Rectifiers
- Moon, Un-chul (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University) ;
- Kim, Soo-eon (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University) ;
- Chan, Roh (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University) ;
- Kwak, Sangshin (School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Chung-ang University)
- Received : 2016.06.17
- Accepted : 2016.11.25
- Published : 2017.01.20
In this paper, a predictive direct power control (DPC) method based on a Kalman filter is presented for three-phase pulse-width modulation (PWM) rectifiers to improve the performance of rectifiers with source voltages that are distorted with harmonic components. This method can eliminate the most significant harmonic components of the source voltage using a Kalman filter algorithm. In the process of predicting the future real and reactive power to select an optimal voltage vector in the predictive DPC, the proposed method utilizes source voltages filtered by a Kalman filter, which can mitigate the adverse effects of distorted source voltages on control performance. As a result, the quality of the source currents synthesized using the PWM rectifier is improved, and the total harmonic distortion (THD) values are reduced, even under distorted source voltages.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- J. R. Rodriguez, J. W. Dixon, J. R. Espinoza, J. Pontt and J. Lezana, "PWM regenerative rectifiers: State of the art," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. I, pp. 5-22, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.841149
- M. P. Kazmierkowski, R. Krishnan, and F. Blaabjerg, Control in Power Electronics. New York, NY, USA: Academic, 2002.
- N. Mohan, T. M. Underland, and W. P. Robbins, Power Electronics, 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ, USA: Wiley, 1995.
- R. Vargas, U. Ammann, and J. Rodriguez, "A generalized class of stationary frame-current controllers for grid-connected ac dc converters," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2742-2751, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2045136
- S. Kwak and H. A. Toliyat, "Design and rating comparisons of PWM voltage source rectifiers and active power filters for AC drives with unity power factor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 1133-1142, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.854055
- S. Kwak and H. A. Toliyat, "Design and performance comparisons of two multi-drive systems with unity power factor," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 417-426, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.837678
- A. Bouafia, J. P. Gaubert and F. Krim, "Predictive direct power control of three-phase pulse width modulation (PWM) rectifier using space-vector modulation (SVM)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 228-236, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2028731
- M. Malinowski, "Sensorless control strategies for three-phase PWM rectifiers," Ph.D. dissertation, Inst. Control Ind. Electron., Warsaw Univ. Technol., Warsaw, Poland, 2001.
- M. Malinowski, M. P. Kazmierkowski, and A. M. Trzynadlowski, "A comparative study of control techniques for PWM rectifiers in AC adjustable speed drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1390-1396, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.818871
- M. P. Kazmierkowski and L. Malesani, "Current control techniques for three-phase voltage-source PWM converters: A survey," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 691-703, Oct. 1998.
- M. Liserre, A. DellAquila and F. Blaabjerg, "Genetic algorithm-based design of the active damping for an LCL-filter three-phase active rectifier," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 76-86, Jan. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.820540
- B. Yin, R. Oruganti, S. K. Panda, and A. K. S. Bhat, "An output-power control strategy for a three-phase PWM rectifier under unbalanced supply conditions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 2140-2150, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918643
- X. H. Wu, S. K. Panda, and J. X. Xu, "DC link voltage and supply side current harmonics minimization of three phase PWM boost rectifiers using frequency domain based repetitive current controllers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1987-1997, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.925428
- S. Kwak and J. Park, "Predictive control method with future zero-sequence voltage to reduce switching losses in three phase voltage source inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1558-1566, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304719
- J. Alonso-Martinez, J. Eloy-Garcia, D. Santos-Martin, and S. Arnalte, "A new variable frequency optimal direct power control algorithm," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1442-1451, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2167732
- M. Malinowksi, M. P. Kazmierkowski, S. Hansen, F. Blaabjerg, and G. Marques, "Virtual-flux-based direct power control of three-phase PWM rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 1019-1027, Jul./Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.936392
- Y. Zhang, X. Wu, X. Yuan, Y. Wang and P. Dai, "Fast model predictive control for multilevel cascaded H-Bridge STATCOM with polynomial computation time," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 8, pp. 5231-5243, Aug. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2572662
- S. Vazquez, J. Leon, L.G. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, H. Young, A. Marquez, and P. Zanchetta, "Model predictive control: A review of its applications in power electronics," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 8, No.1, pp. 16-31, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2013.2290138
- S. Kwak and J. C. Park, "Model-predictive direct power control with vector preselection technique for highly efficient active rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 44-52, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2363761
- S. Kouro, M. A. Perez, J. Rodriguez, A. M. Llor, and H. A. Young, "Model predictive control: MPC's role in the evolution of power electronics," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 8-21, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2015.2478920
- D. E. Catlin, Estimation, Control and the Discrete Kalman Filter, Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- Reverse matrix converter control method for PMSM drives using DPC 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2017.1382012