- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Control and Analysis of Vienna Rectifier Used as the Generator-Side Converter of PMSG-based Wind Power Generation Systems
- Zhao, Hongyan (School of Electrical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Zheng, Trillion Q. (School of Electrical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Yan (School of Electrical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Du, Jifei (School of Electrical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Shi, Pu (School of Electrical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2016.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2017.01.20
Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Generators (PMSGs) are used widely in Wind Power Generation Systems (WPGSs), and the Vienna rectifier was recently proposed to be used as the generator-side converter to rectify the AC output voltage in PMSG-based WPGS. Compared to conventional six-switch two-level PWM (2L-PWM) converters, the Vienna rectifier has several advantages, such as higher efficiency, improved total harmonic distortion, etc. The motivation behind this paper is to verify the performance of direct-driven PMSG wind turbine system based-Vienna rectifier by using a simulated direct-driven PMSG WPGS. In addition, for the purpose of reducing the reactive power loss of PMSGs, this paper proposes an induced voltage sensing scheme which can make the stator current maintain accurate synchronization with the induced voltage. Meanwhile, considering the Neutral-Point Voltage (NPV) variation in the DC-side of the Vienna rectifier, a NPV balancing control strategy is added to the control system. In addition, both the effectiveness of the proposed method and the performance of the direct-driven PMSG based-Vienna rectifier are verified by simulation and experimental results.
- S. H. Lee, Y. Joo, J. Back, J. H. Seo, and I. Choy, "Sliding mode controller for torque and pitch control of PMSG wind power systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 342-349, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.3.342
- J. Adhikari and S. Panda, "Overview of high altitude wind energy harvesting system," in Power Electronics Systems and Applications(PESA), 2013 5th International Conference on, pp. 1-8, 2013.
- J. Adhikari, A. Rathore, and S. Kumar Panda, "Modular interleaved softswitching dc-dc converter for high-altitude wind energy application," IEEE J. Emeg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 727-738, Dec 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2324638
- I. Woofenden, How a Wind Turbine Works [Online]. Available: https:// homepower.com/articles/how-windturbine-works. 2016
- P. Pillay and R. Krishnan, "Modeling of permanent magnet motor drives", IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 537-541, Nov. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.9176
- B. K. Bose, "Power electronics and AC machine drives-advances and trends," International Power Electronics Congress, IEEE, 2006.
- B. Wang, G. Wei, J. Chu, and G. Yi, " A novel modeling for a dual three-phase permanent magnet synchronous machines," Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, 2008. ICARCV 2008. 10th International Conference on IEEE, pp. 1630-1634, 2008.
- Xu Ke, Hu Minqian, Yan Rong Yan, W Du, "Wind turbine simulator using PMSM", Universities Power Engineering Conference, 2007, pp. 732-737, 2007.
- M. A. Rahman, A. M. Osheiba, T. S. Radwan, and E. S. Abdin, "Modelingand controller design of an isolated diesel engine permanent magnet synchronous generator," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 324-330, Jun. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.507185
- H. Geng, D. Xu, B. Wu, and G. Yang, "Active damping for PMSG based WECS with dc-link current estimation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1110-1119, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2040568
- A. Rajaei, M. Mohamadian, and A. Y. Varjani, "Vienna-rectifier-based direct torque control of PMSG for wind energy application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 2919-2929, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2227905
- T. H. Nguyen and D. C. Lee, "Ride-through technique for pmsg wind turbines using energy storage systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 733-738, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.6.733
- T. Ahmed, K. Nishida, and M. Nakaoka, "Wind power grid integration of an IPMSG using a diode rectifier and a simple MPPT control for grid-side inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 548-554, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.548
- H. Polinder, F. F. A. van der Pijl, G. J. de Vilder, and P. J. Tavner, "Comparison of direct-drive and geared generator concepts for wind turbines," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 725-733, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.875476
- S. H. Song, S. Kang, and N. K. Hahm, "Implementation and control of grid connected AC-DC-AC power converter for variable speed wind energy conversion system," in Proc. Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., Vol. 1, pp. 154-158, 2003.
- S. M. Dehghan, M. Mohamadian, and A. Yazdian, "A new variable speed wind energy conversion system using permanent magnet synchronous generator and z-source inverter," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 724-714, Sep. 2009.
- J. Wang, D. Xu, B. Wu, and Z. Luo, "A low-cost rectifier topology for variable-speed high-power PMSG wind turbines," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 2192-2200, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2106143
- J. Kikuchi, M. D. Manjrekar, and T. A. Lipo, "Complementary half controlled three phase PWM boost rectifier for multi-DC-link applications," in Proc. 15th Annu. IEEE APEC, pp. 494-500, 2000.
- Y. Wang, D. Panda, T. A. Lipo, and D. Pan, "Performance improvement of dual-half-controlled-converter and its applications in utility rectifiers," in Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Power Electron./ECCE Asia, Jeju, Korea, pp. 1711-1718, 2011.
- S. Zhang, K. Tseng, D. M. Vilathgamuwa, T. D. Nguyen, and X. Wang,"Design of a robust grid interface system for PMSG-based wind turbine generators," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 316-328, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2044737
- C. Hao and D. Aliprantis, "Analysis of squirrel-cage induction generator with Vienna rectifier for wind energy conversion system," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 967-975, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2143414
- A. H. Rajaei, M. Mohamadian, S. M. Dehghan, and A. Yazdian, "PMSG-based variable speed wind energy conversion system using Vienna rectifier," Eur. Trans. Elect. Power, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 954-972, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.488
- F. Blaabjerg, M. Liserre, and K. Ma, "Power electronics converters for wind turbine systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Appl., Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 708-719, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2181290
- M. Malinowski, S. Stynski, W. Kolomyjski, and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Control of three-level PWM converter applied to variable-speed-type turbines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 69-77, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.927245