- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Protection of the MMCs of HVDC Transmission Systems against DC Short-Circuit Faults
- Nguyen, Thanh Hai (Department of Electrical Engineering, The Petroleum Institute) ;
- Lee, Dong-Choon (Department of Electrical Engineering, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2016.02.21
- Accepted : 2016.08.27
- Published : 2017.01.20
This paper deals with the blocking of DC-fault current during DC cable short-circuit conditions in HVDC (High-Voltage DC) transmission systems utilizing Modular Multilevel Converters (MMCs), where a new SubModule (SM) topology circuit for the MMC is proposed. In this SM circuit, an additional Insulated-Gate Bipolar Translator (IGBT) is required to be connected at the output terminal of a conventional SM with a half-bridge structure, hereafter referred to as HBSM, where the anti-parallel diodes of additional IGBTs are used to block current from the grid to the DC-link side. Compared with the existing MMCs based on full-bridge (FB) SMs, the hybrid topologies of HBSM and FBSM, and the clamp-double SMs, the proposed topology offers a lower cost and lower power loss while the fault current blocking capability in the DC short-circuit conditions is still provided. The effectiveness of the proposed topology has been validated by simulation results obtained from a 300-kV 300-MW HVDC transmission system and experimental results from a down-scaled HVDC system in the laboratory.
Supported by : Yeungnam University
- Q. Tu, Z. Xu, and L. Xu, "Reduced switching-frequency modulation and circulating current suppression for modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 2009-2017, Jul. 2011.
- A. Nami, J. Liang, F. Dijkhuizen, and G. D. Demetriades, "Modular multilevel converters for HVDC applications: review on converter cells and functionalities," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 18-36, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2327641
- E. Solas, G. Abad, J. A. Barrena, S. Aurtenetxea, A. Carcar, and L. Zajac, "Modular multilevel converter with different submodule concepts-Part I: capacitor voltage balancing method," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 4525-4535, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2210378
- J. Zhang and C. Zhao, "Control strategy of MMC-HVDC under unbalanced grid voltage conditions," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1499-1507, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1499
- H. Wang, G. Tang, Z. He, and J. Cao, "Power loss and junction temperature analysis in the modular multilevel converters for HVDC transmission systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 685-694, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.685
- J. Qin, M. Saeedifard, A. Rockhill, and R. Zhou, "Hybrid design of modular multilevel converters for HVDC systems based on various submodule circuits," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 385-394, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2351794
- M. Callavik, A. Blomberg, J. Hafner, and B. Jacobson, "The hybrid HVDC breaker: an innovation breakthrough enabling reliable HVDC grids," ABB Grid Systems, Technical Paper, Nov. 2012.
- K. Sano and M. Takasaki, "A surgeless solid-state DC circuit breaker for voltage-source-converter-based HVDC systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. App., Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 2690-2699, Jul./Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2293819
- X. Li, Q. Song, W. Liu, H. Rao, S. Xu, and L. Li, "Protection of nonpermanent faults on DC overhead lines in MMC-based HVDC systems," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 483-490, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2226249
- G. P. Adam, K. H. Ahmed, S. J. Finney, K. Bell, and B. W. Williams, "New breed of network fault-tolerant voltagesource-converter HVDC transmission system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 335-346, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2199337
- R. Zeng, L. Xu, L. Yao, and B. W. Williams, "Design and operation of a hybrid modular multilevel converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1137-1146, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2320822
- G. J. Kish, M. Ranjram, and P. W. Lehn, "A modular multilevel DC/DC converter with fault blocking capability for HVDC interconnections," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 148-162, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2295967
- R. Marquardt, "Modular multilevel converter topologies with dc-short circuit current limitation," in Proc. IEEE 8th Int. Power Electron. ECCE Asia Conf., pp. 1425-1431, 2011.
- Y. Xue and Z. Xu, "On the bipolar MMC-HVDC topology suitable for bulk power overhead line transmission: configuration, control, and DC fault analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 2420-2429, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2352313
- M. M. C. Merlin, T. C. Green, P. D. Mitcheson, D. R. Trainer, R. Critchley, W. Crookes, and F. Hassan, "The alternative arm converter: A new hybrid multilevel converter with DC-fault blocking capability," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 310-317, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2282171
- T. H. Nguyen and D.-C. Lee, "A novel submodule topology of MMC for blocking DC-fault currents in HVDC transmission system," in Proc. of IEEE ICPE, pp. 2057-2063, Jun. 2015.
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "A new modular voltage source inverter topology," in Proc. EPE, Vol. 3, pp. 2-4, 2003.
- R. Marquardt, "Modular multilevel converter: A universal concept for HVDC-networks and extended DC busapplications," in Proc. Int. Power Electronics Conf. (IPEC), pp. 502-507, 2010.
- K. J. Um, Application Note 9020, Fairchild Semiconductor. Available: http://www.fairchildsemi.co.kr/application-notes/
- M. Hagiwara, R. Maeda, and H. Akagi, "Control and analysis of the modular multilevel cascade converter based on double-star chopper-cells (MMCC-DSCC)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 1649-1658, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2089065
- Z. Li, P. Wang, H. Zhu, Z. Chu, and Y. Li, "An improved pulse width modulation method for chopper-cell-based modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 3472-3481, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2187800
- S. Debnath, J. Qin, B. Bahrani, M. Saeedifard, and P. Barbosa, "Operation, control, and applications of the modular multilevel converter: a review," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 37-53, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2309937
- [Online]. Available: http://www.aliexpress.com.
- S. Rohner, S. Bernet, M. Hiller, and R. Sommer, "Modulation, losses, and semiconductor requirements of modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2633-2642, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031187
- J.-I. Jang and D.-C. Lee, "High performance control of three-phase PWM converters under non-ideal source voltage," in Proc. of IEEE ICIT, pp. 2791-2796, 2006.
- Fault Handling Methods and Comparison for Different DC Breaker Topologies and MMC Topologies of the HVDC System vol.2018, pp.2090-1828, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2719380