- Volume 66 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Explosion Prevention Method for Electrolytic Motor Start Capacitors using Current Characteristic
통전전류 특성을 이용한 모터 기동용 전해 커패시터 폭발 방지 방법
- Kim, Jae-Hyun (KESCO ESRI) ;
- Park, Jin-Young (KESCO ESRI) ;
- Park, Kwang-Muk (KESCO ESRI) ;
- Bang, Sun-Bae (KESCO ESRI) ;
- Kim, Yong-Un (Namwon fire station)
- Received : 2016.12.08
- Accepted : 2017.10.30
- Published : 2017.12.01
In this paper, we investigated fire cases those are believed to be caused by explosion of a electrolytic motor start capacitor. Using two types of commercially available electrolytic motor start capacitors, capacitor current and the possibility of capacitor explosion were tested. And the ignition possibility of the internal material leaked from a capacitor was also tested. In addition, experiments were conducted to see if the fire could spread when a capacitor was exposed to an external flame. From our test we observed that the current of the electrolytic motor start capacitor rose continuously to a certain level by product, if the capacitor was continuously energized with working voltage, and then the capacitor was exploded. The gas and liquid leaked from the capacitor by the explosion could ignite by an electric arc and an external flame. The capacitor current at explosion was different product by product, but each product had a certain current level at explosion. And the increase rate of the capacitor current until explosion was 24% and 31% for the products used in the experiment. We proposed the capacitor explosion prevention method that cuts off power when the capacitor current rises to a certain threshold level. The proposed method can be used if the current of the applied electrolytic motor start capacitor rises continuously and then the capacitor is exploded at a certain current level when the capacitor is energized continuously.
- J. H. Kim, K. M. Park, J. Y. Park, K. Y. Lee, S. B. Bang, H. N Choe, B. K. Han, and H. B. Jo, "A Study on Calculation Methods of molten mark sphericity", Proceedings of KIEE Summer Annual Conference, The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, pp. 1549-1550 (2016).
- Jeonbuk Fire Headquarter, "The 17th Jeonbuk Fire Investigation Conference", pp. 19-21 (2016).
- H. K. Park, C. S. Choi, "Examination of the Cause of Damage to Capacitors for Home Appliances and Analysis of the Heat Generation Mechanism", Journal of the KOSOS, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 13-19(2011).
- P. C. Sen, "Principles of electric machines and power electronics", John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (1997).
- F. D. Kieferndorf, M. Förster and T. H. Lipo, "Reduction of DC-bus capacitor ripple current with PAM/PWM converter", IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 40, Issue. 2, pp. 607-614 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.824495
- E. C. Aeloiza, J. H. Kim, P. Ruminot and P. N. Enjeti, "A real time method to estimate electrolytic capacitor condition in PWM adjustable speed drives and uninterruptible power supplies", 36th IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 2867-2872 (2005).
- H. Malek, S. Dadras and Y. Chen, "Fractional order equivalent series resistance modelling of electrolytic capacitor and fractional order failure prediction with application to predictive maintenance", IET Power Electron, Vol. 9, lss. 8, pp. 1608-1613 (2016) https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2015.0636
- "KS C 4805 Capacitors for Electrical Apparatus", Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.
- "KS C IEC 60252-2 AC Motor Capacitors - Part 2: Motor start capacitors", Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.