- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Adaptive Mesh Refinement Using Viscous Adjoint Method for Single- and Multi-Element Airfoil Analysis
- Yamahara, Toru (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Tohoku University) ;
- Nakahashi, Kazuhiro (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Tohoku University) ;
- Kim, Hyoungjin (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2017.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.09.06
- Published : 2017.12.30
An adjoint-based error estimation and mesh adaptation study is conducted for two-dimensional viscous flows on unstructured hybrid meshes. The error in an integral output functional of interest is estimated by a dot product of the residual vector and adjoint variable vector. Regions for the mesh to be adapted are selected based on the amount of local error at each nodal point. Triangular cells in the adaptive regions are refined by regular refinement, and quadrangular cells near viscous walls are bisected accordingly. The present procedure is applied to single-element airfoils such as the RAE2822 at a transonic regime and a diamond-shaped airfoil at a supersonic regime. Then the 30P30N multi-element airfoil at a low subsonic regime with a high incidence angle (
- Giles, M.B. and Pierce, N. A. "Adjoint Recovery of Superconvergent Functionals from PDE Approximations,' SIAM Review, Vol.42, No.2, 2000, pp.247-264. https://doi.org/10.1137/S0036144598349423
- Sharov, D. and Fujii, K., "Three-Dimensional Adaptive Bisection of Unstructured Grids for Transient Compressible Flow Computations," AIAA Paper 95-1708, 1995.
- Rivara, M. C., "Selective Refinement/Derefinement Algorithms for Sequences of Nested Triangulations," International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 28, 1989, pp. 2889-2906. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620281212
- Jones, M.T. and Plassmann, P.E., "Adaptive Refinement of Unstructured Finite-Element Meshes," Analysis & Design, Vol.25, 1997, pp. 41-60.
- Murayama,M, Nakahashi, K. and Sawada, K., "Adaptive Grid Refinement Coupled with Vortex Core Identification for Vortex Flow Simulation about a Delta Wing," CFD Journal, Vol. 9, No.1, 2000.
- Giles, M. B. and Pierce, N. A., "Improved lift and drag estimates using adjoint Euler equations," AIAA paper 99-3293, 1999.
- Venditti, D. A. and Darmofal, D. L., "A Multilevel Error Estimation and Grid Adaptive Strategy for Improving the Accuracy of Integral Outputs," AIAA Paper 99-3292, 1999.
- Venditti, D. A. and Darmofal, D. L., "Adjoint Error Estimation and Grid Adaptation for Functional Outputs: Application to Quasi-One-Dimensional flow," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 164, 2000, pp.204-227. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2000.6600
- Venditti, D. A. and Darmofal, D. L., "Grid Adaptation for Functional Outputs: Application to Two-Dimensional Inviscid Flows," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 176, 2002, pp.40-69. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2001.6967
- Venditti, D. A. and Darmofal, D. L., "Anisotropic Grid Adaptation for Functional Outputs: Application to Two-Dimensional Viscous Flows," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 187, 2003, pp.22-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9991(03)00074-3
- Muller, J.-D. and Giles, M. B., "Solution Adaptive Mesh Refinement Using Adjoint Error Analysis," AIAA 2001-2550, 2001
- Park, M.A., "Adjoint-Based, Three-Dimensional Error Prediction and Grid Adaptation," AIAA J , Vol.42, No.9 2004, pp.1854-1862. See also AIAA 2002-3286, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.10051
- Park, M.A., "Three-Dimensional Turbulent RANS Adjoint-Based Error Correction," AIAA 2003-3849, 16th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, June 23-26, 2003.
- E.M. Lee-Rausch, M,A, Park, W.T. Jones, D.P. Hammond, and E.J. Nielsen, "Application of Parallel Adjoint Based Error Estimation and Anisotropic Grid Adaptation for Three-Dimensional Aerospace Configurations," AIAA 2005-4842, 23rd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 6-9, 2005.
- W.T. Jones, E.J. Nielsen, and M.A. Park, "Validation of 3D Adjoint Based Error Estimation and Mesh Adaptation for Sonic Boom Prediction," AIAA 2006-1150, 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, January 9-12 Reno, NV, 2006.
- H. Kim, Y. Takano and K. Nakahashi, "Error Estimation and Grid Adaptation Using Euler Adjoint Method," J. Aircraft Vol.43, No.5, 2006, pp.1317-1324. See also AIAA-2005-5336, AIAA CFD Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 6-9, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.19603
- H. Kim and K. Nakahashi, "Output-Based Error Estimation and Adaptive Mesh Refinement Using Viscous Adjoint Method," AIAA 2006-1395, 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, January 9-12 Reno, NV, 2006.
- Fidkowski, K. J., and Darmofal, D. L.: Review of Output-Based Estimation and Mach Adaptation in Computational Fluid Dynamics, AIAA Journal, Vol.49, No.4, pp.673-694, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J050073
- Venditti, D. A. and Darmofal, D. L., "A Grid Adaptive Methodology for Functional Outputs of Compressible Flow Simulations," AIAA 2001-2659, 15th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, June 11-14 Anaheim, California, 2001.
- Nakahashi, K., Kano, S., Kodera, M. and Sharov, D., "Applications of Unstructured Hybrid Grid Method to High-Reynolds Number Viscous Flows," International J. for Numerical Methods in Fluids, John Wiley & Sons, No. 31, 1999, pp.97-111.
- Venkatakrishnan, V.: On the Accuracy of Limiters and Convergence to Steady State Solutions, AIAA Paper 93-0880, 1993.
- Obayashi, S. and Guruswamy, G. P.: Convergence Acceleration of a Navier-Stokes Solver for Efficient Static Aeroelastic Computations, AIAA Journal, Vol.33, No.6, pp.1134-1141, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12533
- Spalart, P.R. and Allmaras, S.R., A One-Equation Turbulence Model for Aerodynamic Flows, Recherche Aerospatiale, Vol.1, (1994), pp.5-21.
- Sharov, D. and Nakahashi, K.: Reordering of Hybrid Unstructured Grids for Lower-Upper Symmetric Gauss-Seidel Computations, AIAA Journal, Vol.36, No.3, pp.484-486, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.392
- Kim, H and Nakahashi, K., "Unstructured Adjoint Method for Navier-Stokes Equations," JSME International J. Series B, Vol. 48, No.2, pp. 202-207, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmeb.48.202
- Ito, Y. and Nakahashi, K., "Improvements in the Reliability and Quality of Unstructured Hybrid Mesh Generation," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 45, Issue 1, May 2004, pp. 79-108, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.669