- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Further Improvement in Rotor Aerodynamics Estimation in Helicopter Conceptual Design and Optimization Framework for a Compound Rotorcraft
- Lim, JaeHoon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Shin, SangJoon (Seoul National University) ;
- Kee, YoungJung (Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Received : 2016.10.04
- Accepted : 2017.10.18
- Published : 2017.12.30
In order to include the design capability for a compound rotorcraft in a helicopter conceptual design and optimization framework, relevant further improvement was planned and conducted. Previously, a certain conceptual design optimization framework was developed by the present authors to design a modern rotorcraft with single main and tail rotor. The previously developed framework was further improved to expand its capability for a compound rotorcraft. Specifically, its power estimation algorithm was upgraded by using a comprehensive rotorcraft analysis program, CAMRAD II. The presently improved conceptual design and optimization framework was validated using data of the XH-59A aircraft.
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development (ADD)
- Schoen, A. H., Rosenstein, H., Stanzione, K. A. and Wisniewski, J. S., "User's Manual for VASCOMP II, The V/STOL Aircraft Sizing and Performance Computer Program", The Boeing Vertol Company, D8-0375, 3rd revision, 1980.
- Davis, S. J., Rosenstein, H., Stanzione, K. A. and Wisniewski, J. S., "User's Manual for HESCOMP: The Helicopter Sizing and Performance Computer Program", Prepared by the Boeing Vertol Company, 1979.
- Hansen, A. C. and Layton, D. M., "An Analysis of Three Approaches to the Helicopter Preliminary Design Program", Naval Postgraduate School, California, 1984.
- Hirsh, J. E., Wilkerson, J. B. and Narducci, R. P., "An Integrated Approach to Rotorcraft Conceptual Design", 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, USA, 2007.
- Johnson, W., "NDARC-NASA Design and Analysis of Rotorcraft Validation and Demonstration", The American Helicopter Society Aeromechanics Specialists' Conference, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2010.
- Moodie, A. M. and Yeo, H., "Design of a Cruise-Efficient Compound Helicopter", Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 57, No. 3, 2012, pp. 1-11.
- Johnson, W., Moodie, A. M. and Yeo, H., "Design and Performance of Lift-Offset Rotorcraft for Short-Haul Missions", The American Helicopter Society Future Vertical Lift Aircraft Design Conference, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2012.
- Laxman, V, Lim, J. H., Shin, S. J., Ko, K. H. and Jung, S. N., "Power and Trim Estimation for Helicopter Sizing and Performance Analysis", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Science, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2011, pp. 152-166.
- Lim, J. H., Shin, S. J., Laxman, V., Kim, J. and Jang, J., "Development of an Improved Framework for the Preliminary Design of a Rotorcraft", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 86, No. 5, 2014, pp. 375-384. https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-10-2012-0177
- Lim, J. H., Shin, S. J. and Kee, Y. J., "Optimization of Rotor Structural Design in Compound Rotorcraft with Lift Offset", Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 61, No. 1, 2016, pp. 1-14.
- Ruddell, A. J., "Advancing Blade Concept (ABC) Technology Demonstrator", USAAVRADCOM TR 81-D-5, 1981.
- Coleman, C. P., "A Survey of Theoretical and Experimental Coaxial Rotor Aerodynamic Research", NASA Technical Paper 3675, 1997.
- Johnson, W, "Technology Drivers in the Development of CAMRAD II", American Helicopter Society Aeromechanics Specialist Meeting, San Francisco, CA, January 19-21, USA, 1994.
- Pleasants, W. A., "A Rotor Technology Assessment of the Advancing Blade Concept", NASA-TM-8428, 1983.
- Arents, D. N., "An Assessment of the Hover Performance of the XH-59A Advancing Blade Concept Demonstration Helicopter", USAAMRDL-TN025, 1977.
- Bagai, A., "Aerodynamic Design of the X2 Technology DemonstratorTM Main Rotor Blade", The American Helicopter Society International 68th Annual Forum, Montreal, Canada, 2008.