- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Propulsion System Modeling and Reduction for Conceptual Truss-Braced Wing Aircraft Design
- Lee, Kyunghoon (Pusan National University) ;
- Nam, Taewoo (Toyota Research Institute of North America) ;
- Kang, Shinseong (Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.03.28
- Published : 2017.12.30
A truss-braced wing (TBW) aircraft has recently received increasing attention due to higher aerodynamic efficiency compared to conventional cantilever wing aircraft. For conceptual TBW aircraft design, we developed a propulsion-and-airframe integrated design environment by replacing a semi-empirical turbofan engine model with a thermodynamic cycle-based one built upon the numerical propulsion system simulation (NPSS). The constructed NPSS model benefitted TBW aircraft design study, as it could handle engine installation effects influencing engine fuel efficiency. The NPSS model also contributed to broadening TBW aircraft design space, for it provided turbofan engine design variables involving a technology factor reflecting progress in propulsion technology. To effectively consolidate the NPSS propulsion model with the TBW airframe model, we devised a rapid, approximate substitute of the NPSS model by reduced-order modeling (ROM) to resolve difficulties in model integration. In addition, we formed an artificial neural network (ANN) that associates engine component attributes evaluated by object-oriented weight analysis of turbine engine (WATE++) with engine design variables to determine engine weight and size, both of which bring together the propulsion and airframe system models. Through propulsion-andairframe design space exploration, we optimized TBW aircraft design for fuel saving and revealed that a simple engine model neglecting engine installation effects may overestimate TBW aircraft performance.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Pfenninger, W., "Laminar Flow Control Laminarization", AGARD special course on concepts for drag reduction, AGARD Report No. 654, June 1977.
- Bradley, M. K. and Droney, C. K., "Subsonic Ultra Green Aircraft Research Phase II: N+ 4 Advanced Concept Development", Tech. Rep. NASA/CR-2012-217556, NASA Langley Research Center, 2012.
- Gur, O., Bhatia, M., Schetz, J., Mason, W., Kapania, R. and Mavris, D., "Design Optimization of a Truss-Braced- Wing Transonic Transport Aircraft", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 6, November-December 2010, pp. 1907-1917. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.47546
- Mattingly, J. D., Heiser, W. H. and Pratt, D. T., Aircraft Engine Design 2nd ed. (AIAA Education), AIAA, December 2002.
- Hahn, A., "Vehicle Sketch Pad: Parametric Geometry for Conceptual Aircraft Design", 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, FL, Jan 4-7 2010, AIAA-2010-657.
- Bullock, R. O., "Analysis of Reynolds Number and Scale Effects on Performance of Turbomachinery", ASME, Journal of Engineering for Power, 1964, pp. 247-256.
- Lee, K., Perullo, C., Nam, T., Mavris, D. N. and Schetz, J., "Integrated Propulsion and Airframe System Modeling and Analysis for a Truss-Braced Wing Configuration", 20th International Society for Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, September 15, 2011.
- Veres, J. P., "Overview of High-Fidelity Modeling Activities in the Numerical Propulsion System Simulations (NPSS) Project", Tech. Rep. NASA/TM-2002-211351, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44135, June 2002.
- Onat, E. and Klees, G. W., "A Method to Estimate Weight and Dimensions of Large and Small Gas Turbine Engines", Tech. Rep. NASA-CR-159481, NASA, January 1, 1979.
- Tong, M. T. and Naylor, B. A., "An Object-Oriented Computer Code for Aircraft Engine Weight Estimation", Technical Memorandum NASA/TM-2009-215656, Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44135-3191, December 2009, prepared for the Gas Turbine Technical Congress and Exposition (Turbo Expo 2008) sponsored by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Berlin, Germany, June 9-13, 2008.
- Lee, K., Nam, T., Perullo, C. and Mavris, D. N., "Reduced-Order Modeling of a High-Fidelity Propulsion System Simulation", AIAA Journal, Vol. 49, No. 8, August 2011, pp. 1665-1682. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J050887
- Kirby, M. R. and Mavris, D. N., "The Environmental Design Space", ICAS 2008-4.7.3, 2008.
- Ballal, D. R. and Zelina, J., "Progress in Aero-Engine Technology (1939-2003)", In 39th AIAA/ASME/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, No. AIAA-2003-4412, 2003.
- Tipping, M. E. and Bishop, C. M., "Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology), Vol. 61, No. 3, 1999, pp. 611-622. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9868.00196
- Johnson, C. and Schutte, J., "Basic Regression Analysis for Integrated Neural Networks (BRAINN) Documentation", Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory (ASDL), January 31, 2009, Version 2.3.
- Mccullers, L. A., "Aircraft Configuration Optimization Including Optimized Flight Profiles", NASA Langley Research Center, January 1, 1984.