- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Tailless UAV Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Using Global Variable Fidelity Modeling
- Tyan, Maxim (Department of Aerospace Information Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Nguyen, Nhu Van (Viettel Aerospace Institute, Viettel Group) ;
- Lee, Jae-Woo (Department of Aerospace Information Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2017.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.12.14
- Published : 2017.12.30
This paper describes the multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO) process of a tailless unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) using global variable fidelity aerodynamic analysis. The developed tailless UAV design framework combines multiple disciplines that are based on low-fidelity and empirical analysis methods. An automated high-fidelity aerodynamic analysis is efficiently integrated into the MDO framework. Global variable fidelity modeling algorithm manages the use of the high-fidelity analysis to enhance the overall accuracy of the MDO by providing the initial sampling of the design space with iterative refinement of the approximation model in the neighborhood of the optimum solution. A design formulation was established considering a specific aerodynamic, stability and control design features of a tailless aircraft configuration with a UCAV specific mission profile. Design optimization problems with low-fidelity and variable fidelity analyses were successfully solved. The objective function improvement is 14.5% and 15.9% with low and variable fidelity optimization respectively. Results also indicate that low-fidelity analysis overestimates the value of lift-to-drag ratio by 3-5%, while the variable fidelity results are equal to the high-fidelity analysis results by algorithm definition.
Supported by : Konkuk University, National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Hutchinson, J., " Macrozanonia Cogn. and Alsomitra Roem", Annals of Botany, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1942, pp. 95-102. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aob.a088403
- Dunne, J. W., The Dunne Aeroplane, Flight, 1910, pp. 459-462.
- Green, W., Warplanes of the Third Reich, Macdonald and Jane's Publishers Ltd, London, 1970.
- Northrop, J., "The Development of the All-Wing Aircraft", The Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 51, No. 438, 1947, pp. 481-510.
- Bolsunovsky, A. L., Buzoverya, N. P., Gurevich, B. I., Denisov, V. E., Dunaevsky, A. I., Shkadov, L. M., Sonin, O. V., Udzhuhu, A. J. and Zhurihin, J. P., "Flying Wing - Problems and Decisions", Aircraft Design, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2001, pp. 193-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-8869(01)00005-2
- Kodiyalam, S. and Sobiezczanski-Sobieski, J., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation - Some Formal Methods, Framework Requirements, and Application to Vehicle Design", International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 25, 2001, pp. 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJVD.2001.001904
- Raymer, D., Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach (AIAA Education Series), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc., Washington DC, 1992.
- Roskam, J., Airplane Design, DAR Corporation, Lawrence, Kansas, 1985.
- Torenbeek, E., Advanced Aircraft Design, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Netherlands, 2013.
- Torenbeek, E., "Fundamentals of Conceptual Design Optimization of Subsonic Transport Aircraft", Delft University of Technology, Aerospace Engineering, 1980, Report No. LR-292.
- Prandtl, L., "Application of Modern Hydrodynamics to Aeronautics", Technical Report, Washington, DC, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, 1923, Report No. NACA-TR-116.
- Kenway, G. K. and Martins, J. R. R. A., "Multipoint High- Fidelity Aerostructural Optimization of a Transport Aircraft Configuration", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 51, No. 1, 2014, pp. 144-160. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C032150
- Liem, R. P., Kenway, G. K. and Martins, J. R. R. A., "Multi-Point, Multi-Mission, High-Fidelity Aerostructural Optimization of a Long-Range Aircraft Configuration", 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Indianapolis, IN, 2012.
- Kim, S., Alonso, J. J. and Jameson, A., "Design Optimization of Multi-Element High-Lift Configurations Using a Viscous Continuous Adjoint Method", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 41, No. 5, 2004, pp. 1082-1097. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.17
- Haftka, R. T., "Combining Global and Local Approximations", AIAA Journal, Vol. 29, No. 9, 1991, pp. 1525-1525. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10769
- Giunta, A., Balabanov, V., Burgee, S., Grossman, B., Haftka, R., Mason, W. and Watson, L., "Variable-Complexity Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Using Parallel Computers", Computational Mechanics, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1995, pp. 489-494.
- Alexandrov, N. M., Nielsen, E. J., Lewis, R. M. and Anderson, W. K., "First-Order Model Management with Variable-Fidelity Physics Applied to Multi-Element Airfoil Optimization", 8th Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Long Beach, CA, 2000.
- Alexandrov, N. M., Gumbert, C. R., Lewis, R. M., Green, L. L. and Newmann, P. A., "Approximation and Model Management in Aerodynamic Optimization with Variable-Fidelity Models", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 38, No. 6, 2001, pp. 1093-1101. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.2877
- Gano, S. E., Renaud, J. E. and Sanders, B., "Hybrid Variable Fidelity Optimization by Using a Kriging-Based Scaling Function", AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 11, 2005, pp. 2422-2433. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.12466
- Gano, S. E., Renaud, J. E., Martin, J. D. and Simpson, T. W., "Update Strategies for Kriging Models used in Variable Fidelity Optimization", Structural Multidiscriplinary Optimization, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2006, pp. 287-298. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-006-0025-y
- Nguyen, N. V., Tyan, M. and Lee, J. W., "A Modified Variable Complexity Modeling for Efficient Multidisciplinary Aircraft Conceptual Design", Optimization and Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2014, pp. 483-505. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11081-014-9273-7
- Tyan, M., Nguyen, N. V. and Lee, J. W., "Improving Variable Fidelity Modelling by Exploring Global Design Space and Radial Basis Function Networks for Aerofoil Design", Engineering Optimization, Vol. 47, No. 7, 2014, pp. 885-908. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2014.941290
- Drela, M., AVL. [Internet].; 2004 [cited 2015 April 9. Available from: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/avl/.
- Kim, S. J., Jeon, K. and Lee, J. W., "A Study on the Total Drag Estimation for the Aircraft Conceptual Design", Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, Vol. 2, 1999, pp. 70-82.
- Gundlach, J., Designing Unmanned Aircraft Systems: A Comprehensive Approach, Second Edition ed., American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics, Reston, VA, 2012.
- Mattingly, J. D., Elements of Gas Turbine Propulsion, McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math, New York, 1996.
- Tinling, B. E. and Kolk, W. R., "The Effects of Mach Number and Reynolds Number on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Several 12-percent-thick Wings Having 35 Degree of Sweepback and Various Amounts of Camber", Moffett Field, CF, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, Ames Aeronautical Lab., 1951, Report No. NACA-RM-A50K27.
- Nicolai, L. M. and Carichner, G. E., Fundamentals of Aircraft and Airship Design, Americal Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc., Reston, Virginia, 2010.
- Jones, R. T., "Notes on the Stability and Control of Tailless Airplanes", Technical Report, Washington, DC, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautic, 1941, Report No. NACA-TN-837.
- Kostenko, I. K., Flying Wings (in Russian), 2nd ed., Mashinostroeniye, Moscow, 1988.
- Lemko, O., Flying Wings History and Ways of Future Development (in Russian), Scientific Center of Ukraine Airforce, Ukraine, 2002.
- MIL-STD 3013, Glossary of Definitions, Ground Rules, and Mission Profiles to Define Air Vehicle Performance Capability, 2003..
- Kulfan, B. M., "A Universal Parametric Geometry Representation Method CST", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 45, No. 1, 2008, pp. 142-158. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.29958
- SAS Institute Inc. 2002. Using JMP 5. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- Herman, J., GitHub - SALib/SALib: Sensitivity Analysis Library in Python (Numpy), Contains Sobol, Morris, Fractional Factorial and FAST Methods. [Internet].; 2014 [cited 2014 October 1. Available from: https://github.com/jdherman/SALib.
- Sobol, I., "Global Sensitivity Indeces for Nonlinear Mathematical Models and Their Monte Carlo Estimates", Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, Vol. 55, No. 13, 2001, pp. 271-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4754(00)00270-6
- Multidisciplinary analysis of subsonic stealth unmanned combat aerial vehicles pp.1869-5590, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13272-018-0325-0